• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Another fund raising stall on Monday !

Spangly

My sister and I are having another fundraising stall tomorrow. It is very windy here at the moment, although nothing at all compared with the dreadful weather around the world.
We are praying that the wind dies down quite a lot by then! We have opted for a gazeebo provided by the show organisers this time after our last nightmare in July when mine snapped!

We`ve got cupcakes, buns, swiss rolls (all made from facecloths), sewing cases and christmas decorations(a bit early but just to see whether people like the idea) made out of felt, bunting, Rupert soft toys, books, DVD`s, a tombola with 100 prizes and anything else I think of before tomorrow morning.

:xfngr: for calm, dry weather please!

Phew! Well the weather kept dry and the wind wasn't too bad. Just got home and counted up the takings...... We made £161.00. So we are quite happy. Also talked to lots of people about SM and gave details of Cavaliermatters and cavaliertalk.
Now off for a bath and a glass of wine!

Thank you all,
I do love both making things and fundraising but above all I love cavaliers! As we all do!

:thnku::thnku::thnku: well done on raising such a fantastic amount!! so pleased the weather was a bit better too.

Hi Christine

Well done - good effort! How did your Christmas decorations sell? I've been amusing myself making some to sell on my mustard and shortbread stall at several craft fairs coming up in the autumn - I enjoy working with beads and sequins as a change from bottling mustard and cooking! But have no idea how they'll sell - or what to charge for them.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Hi Kate
I only took 6 little xmas decorations with me, I think it is a bit early for much interest at the moment, but as the children return to school here this week, then all that will change! Usually, as soon as September begins, Christmas becomes interesting to people visiting shows and craft stalls. At least that`s my experience around York.

I love the sound of a mustard and shortbread stall! Right up my street!!!! What sort of things do you make with beads and sequins? I used to make a lot of jewellery, until large, chunky jewellery became the fashion. I prefer prettier, more delicate things and the large beads are sooo expensive too.

I find it difficult to get prices right for handmade things. I`m struggling now with these cupcakes, I charge £2.00 which really only covers the cost, but although I get loads of comments about how nice they are, they are not selling quickly. I don`t take any money back for materials because I enjoy making things but I refuse to sell them for less than it costs to buy the facecloths, ribbon, cupcake wrappers and the bits used to make the strawberries etc.

But, I do have patience, they will sell at the right venue, sometimes the little shows just are not right, but we don`t have too many decent craft shows, that don`t charge a lot for a pitch!

Congratulations on such a lovely stall! What I would do is compare prices with other stalls or crafty types who do things similar to your stall. If you are a member of Facebook, look up 'Send in the Troops', which is a page that helps to create awareness of small UK and US crafty businesses, who have business pages on Facebook. Anyway, these crafty businesses might have websites or listings of prices of their merchandise you can compare, just a thought. It's really tough to figure out prices alright, I'm forever tweaking mine for this little home-bakery I have!
Good Luck and lookin forward to seeing more news about your fundraising adventures.

Last edited:
sorry, just another quick thought about raising funds, I set up my stall at a couple of fundraisers recently and had a draw for people to win stuff from my business (like a dozen cupcakes, a treat of their choice, etc) and they paid a euro and it went really really well, it raised a lot for the charities! People love winning stuff and you can raise so much more doing something like that, maybe put together a little hamper of similarly related things and have it on display.

My Christmas decorations are made of felt (rounds, squares, stars, Christmas trees, Christmas stockings), slightly stuffed and decorated with beads, sequins, pretty buttons, bells, fabric flowers, anything I happen to see, which I hope will catch the light on the tree, and with a loop of narrow satin ribbon for hanging. Fun to make but I've no idea how well they'll sell! I think I'm going to charge about £1 each for them, because Tescos charged that for some fabric decorations last year - sort of hessian, gingham and ribbon and not nearly as pretty as mine! The trouble with any craft goods is that it's difficult to get a price for them that reflects the time and skill taken to make them. I usually try to price things at cost + 50%. For selling things, have a look at Folksy.com, a site for craft makers, where you can get a free page on their website for selling what you make (not food, however).

I started my small mustard business about 5 years ago, to make sure I could pay for the dogs when I eventually only have a pension to live on! I make 14 different varieties in small jars. I've always made shortbread for meetings, bazaars etc (using a simple recipe I learnt at school nearly 60 years ago!) and sell loose pieces and also pretty rounds with a thistle pattern. I've added some gluten free shortbread as well, and some other biscuity things. What sells the shortbread more than anything is having little cubes for people to sample before they buy - perhaps you could do the same with your cup cakes? I agree with Desrae that people like competitions, but they also like trying things! I have taster jars and cream crackers for all my mustards as well. I also make fruit vinegars when I have the time to pick blackberries and elderberries or people give me damsons.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

PS My business is called Cavalier Condiments and a drawing of Oliver is its logo!

Thank you everyone for your kind comments.

Desrae, thank you for all your suggestions. I did join Facebook and then found it all s confusing that I cancelled it all! That sounds so wimpy!!!!! I`ve no-one to ask advice from nearby, those in my family who would be able to help are living too far away for me to ask.
I will try to join again (I think they keep all your details even if you cancel membership), and try to make some comparisons.

I love the idea of having a `draw` for things! It`s madness really, I do a tombola at most of my stalls with prizes I collect all year round but it never occured to me to have a draw from my products!

Kate H, thank you too for your help and advice - I have looked at Folksy.com but not to compare prices! Your Christmas decorations sound very similar to the sort of thing I`m making. I, too am going to be charging about £1.00 each.

Your mustards, shortbread and fruit vinegars sound lovely and letting people sample before buying is great. However, as my cupcakes are not edible, just pretend ones made from facecloths, I can`t really do that!icon_nwunsure

Finally Tania, I`ve found another £2.00 in my collecting box so I have a cheque for £163.00 for Cavaliermatters which I will post tomorrow (Friday).:D

Back