• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Vaccination advice

ashleighelizabeth

Hi everyone,

I have read several articles on vaccinations including Jean Dodds vaccination protocol; however my vet is recommending something additional and I'm not sure what to do. Sonny had his first round of shots when he was still at his breeders at 7 weeks and then he had his second round at 10 weeks. My vet is recommending we come in in two weeks for an extra Parvo booster and then in two more weeks his third round of shots. My vet said that there is a high rate of Parvo in my area and that is why they recommend the extra Parvo booster in between the other sets of shots. Everything I have read has warned against over vaccinating and I am nervous about this extra Parvo booster, but I also want Sonny to be protected if he is at higher risk in our area. If anyone has any experience with this or has an opinion I would love to hear them. Thanks!!!!!

Email Dr. Dodds and ask her-- she is wonderful about getting back to you. Her email address is on her Hemopet website.

My vet recommends four puppy boosters. I don't find this necessary especially if the shot are given 8wks, 12wks, 16wks. I wait to give Rabies another four weeks apart from last booster. Many breeders will vaccinate litter at 6 wks, recommend by vet. My last dog already had two shots before coming to me. I only gave two more boosters and rabies. This because some puppies still have immunity from mom at the 6 wk shot. Every two weeks for boosters sounds extreme. If parvo is a problem in your area, stay away from communtiy parks and dog parks where dogs can leave the virus in the ground. Do not walk your puppy around the block until all shot are done if there is a high risk in your neighborhood.

My vet recommends four puppy boosters. I don't find this necessary especially if the shot are given 8wks, 12wks, 16wks. I wait to give Rabies another four weeks apart from last booster. Many breeders will vaccinate litter at 6 wks, recommend by vet. My last dog already had two shots before coming to me. I only gave two more boosters and rabies. This because some puppies still have immunity from mom at the 6 wk shot. Every two weeks for boosters sounds extreme. If parvo is a problem in your area, stay away from communtiy parks and dog parks where dogs can leave the virus in the ground. Do not walk your puppy around the block until all shot are done if there is a high risk in your neighborhood.

This is exactly what I was thinking. I am already frustrated that he is going to have four puppy boosters instead of three and I really do NOT think he needs any extra Parvo boosters. I am going to follow your advice and keep him in safe places until his shots are finished. I am also waiting to hear back from Dr. Dodds. :thnx:

Maybe the issue was perhaps that 7 weeks is fairly early for a first vax. So maybe isn't so much an 'extra' booster as the fact that he may have no immunity from the earliness of the first one and the gap til the second one, so the vet is doing the series of 3 over? Hence the 'extra' booster? Or maybe they just do that routinely. Parvo is pretty serious -- it can kill young pups even with the puppy series done. Note that Dr Dodds does say vets may have good reasons for doing variations on her own schedule.

Note: The following vaccine protocol is offered for those dogs where minimal vaccinations are advisable or desirable. The schedule is one I recommend and should not interpreted to mean that other protocols recommended by a veterinarian would be less satisfactory. It's a matter of professional judgment and choice.

Breeders shouldn't be doing vaccinations at only 6 weeks -- I think those that do are the ones trying to sell the puppies at 7-8 weeks which is pretty young for this small breed.

If Dr Dodds replies, let us know what she says!

Email Dr. Dodds and ask her-- she is wonderful about getting back to you. Her email address is on her Hemopet website.

I just wanted to let you know that I had emailed Dr. Dodds like you suggested and you were right she emailed back within 24 hours and it was a weekend! I was so impressed and incredibly grateful for her obvious dedication to helping animals get the best possible care. Thanks again for the advice!

She said that since he had already had two boosters, he should only need one more between 14-16 weeks. :p Thanks everyone for all of your help. I appreciate all of the advice and support on this forum so much! I just want Sonny to be as healthy and happy as possible!

Breeders shouldn't be doing vaccinations at only 6 weeks -- I think those that do are the ones trying to sell the puppies at 7-8 weeks which is pretty young for this small breed.

Question Karlin! Is 8 weeks really too soon to get my Cavalier puppy? I've been counting down the weeks and know my breeder will keep my little Chloe longer if needed, but I was looking forward to bringing her home when she reaches 8 weeks old. Can you elaborate a bit on if you think this is really too soon to take her from her mom?

Back