• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Jessie's snoring

team bella

I've made a vet appointment for Jessie tomorrow as her snoring has reached a whole new level. She's just turned 2 and up until about 4-5 months ago she wasn't really a snorer unlike Bella. However this has gradually increased and is now quite unbelievable. I'm used to dogs who snore, I was brought up with a British Bull Dog and believe me they can raise the roof. However Jessie has to be on par with a bulldog if not worse. Even when she's awake now she makes a snoring noise. Has anyone else had this experience with cavs who have gone from fairly normal to very noisey? I'm worried that something is going wrong.

Have you had the vet appointment yet? Sometimes snoring and snorting can be from an elongated soft palate (sp), and there is surgery available to clip it back.

It's a good idea to check it out. A lot of cavaliers are snorers and usually it's nothing to worry about, but I had a friend whose Cavalier had BAOS (see http://www.cavalierhealth.org/brachycephalic.htm ). It was a very unfortunate case, so it's good that you are on top of it and making sure it's nothing that you need to be concerned about. Hopefully that is the news you'll get ... nothing to worry about. :eek:

Well Jessie checked out at the vets ok. She doesn't think there's anything to worry about, with the exception of her weight gain which is probably making her snoring worse. So the plan is to reduce her weight and take her back in a month. I have swapped the dog treats for chopped carrot and was greeted that could have turned me to stone:eek:
Cavaliers are very good at making you feel guilty ;)

Good luck with the diet! Maybe exercise would be more fun. Snoring can prevent her from getting the proper amount of oxygen needed to avoid problems with the heart, diabetes, etc. (risks for people who live a lot longer - not sure how dogs are affected).

Weight can make a big difference. When I got Lily out of the pound she was the fattest cavalier at her size that I'd ever seen. She also snored like a sailor and I had to close two doors to make it so *I* could sleep and explain to neighbours that there wasn't some strange new man sleeping in the front room!! :lol:

She l;ost a third of her body weight over 4-5 months and is a healthy weight now and while she still snores it is not remotely as bad as it was. They do struggle to breathe (like humans) if snoring loudly so it is an excellent idea on all health fronts -- for her heart as well -- to get her to a lean weight. (y)

Back