• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

New Cavalier Owner

deb anne

Hello all, What a great resource of information this is. I wish I had checked it out prior to buying my Lulu. But she one of a kind and now I could not give her up regardless of what our future together might be. I had been looking for a breeder for about 6 months and came across an add in a DC paper. Considering it was only about 1 1/2 hours away, I decided to go and talk to the breeder, see the pups and hopefully would find all to be well. I had not read about SM but had a good bit of info on MVD. Anyway I asked if her dogs were tested, she said they were clear, however, I did not see vet records. She stated she does not show her dogs but they are healthy, she would not sell unhealthy dogs. House was immaculate, the puppies, Mom and Dad very well taken care of. The whelping pen was amazingly clean and all puppies were socialized, as were both Mom and Dad. Well I had first pick of the litter and put a deposit on Lulu. Went back the following week to bring her home and pay difference. She is AKC registered, with limited registration. Which is probably a good thing. She is now 12 weeks old and an absloute pleasure. I pray she is stricken with either of these diseases and yet I realize the chances are more than likely she will be afflicted with one, if not both. She is ours now, in every sense of the word. What a delight, so much personality. I'm considering pet insurance, what are your thoughts on it? Any recommendations? I will post pics of Lulu, nect time around. She is black and tan. Weighs 5.9 and is happy and a little bullheaded all at the same time. So endearing. Thank you all for your post and all the info. Deb

dont worry be happy

hi i to had no idea of these ailments before i got my son sorry i mean dog, after talking to many owners and breeders these ailments are nowhere near as common as some think if i was you i would deffo get pet insursance the type that covers ailments for life not for twelve months of occurance try to give them plenty of exercise they are well capable of being like little gun dogs rather than overwieght little lap dogs they are a wonderfull breed ,they are worth all your love dont worry live in the moment any enjoy your wonderfull choice of the best dog in the world

Welcome Deb

You will find this forum very informative and Congratulations on your new addition.. I think everyone will agree that though they have their problems Cavs are a wonderful breed who will give you endless hours of joy and love.

I would thoroughly recommend pet insurance I didn't have it on Bonnie and her vet bills were rather large, so after that experience I have since taken out insurance on my other two Cavs so that if the unthinkable should happen and they become sick it is comforting to know that a large portion of the bill would be taken care of.

Wishing you many joyful moments with LuLu

Paula, Molly (tri cav) and young Murphy (10 week old Blenheim)

Congratulation on your new puppy. Shame you didn’t come across this Forum before, but like you said she is yours now and you will do the best you can for her. Please get Pet Insurance the best you can afford. I don’t know how it works in the US but in the UK we have a lifetime cover where the dog is covered not per illness but for life, so each year you can claim for the same illness again. Between 2 of my dogs my Insurance paid £6,000 this year so far.

Enjoy Lulu especially the puppy stage goes so quick and is so special. You have this Forum if you got questions.

Hello Deb Anne. Welcome to Cavaliertalk! I'm sorry you feel this stress with your newfound bundle of joy. Thank goodness you found this forum, it's a wealth of information and full of nice people. Sabby gave you some great advise about the insurance, it is very important.
Enjoy Lulu, she sounds really lovely! Looking forward to a pic or two someday.

Pet insurance is a really good idea. Helps to take some of the financial burdens off just read the exclusions of the policy carefully. Especially any fine print.

Back