• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

What age did you have your male neutered and what made that age your decider?

Blueroses

As the title states really. Alfie is 23 weeks old and my vet said 6 months, but also added that some wait until 9 months ( I think for anaesthetic reasons but Im not totally sure )

Thank you

Diana

We got Kokoda done at 6 months because he was starting to mark absolutely EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE!
and we couldn't stand it any longer.
We did wait until our old cav was about 8 months i think, if i remember correctly, but i didn't find that it made a difference at all in any way waiting until he was older.

Hope that helps a bit :)

Did this stop Kokoda from Marking again? Did you notice a difference between the 2 dogs with the growth of their legs? 1 dog has longer legs than the other?

Becky

We got Kokoda done at 6 months because he was starting to mark absolutely EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE!
and we couldn't stand it any longer.
We did wait until our old cav was about 8 months i think, if i remember correctly, but i didn't find that it made a difference at all in any way waiting until he was older.

Hope that helps a bit :)

As the title states really. Alfie is 23 weeks old and my vet said 6 months, but also added that some wait until 9 months ( I think for anaesthetic reasons but Im not totally sure )

Thank you

Diana

I would try and wait until about a year old if possible. Letting a dog or bitch mature before having them neutered is thought to be far more benefitial, as I think having them done too soon can be detrimental to their natural development.

Vets always want to chop bits off dogs as soon as they can get their scalpuls near them!:-X It's money for old rope (or something like that!)

I would try and wait until about a year old if possible. Letting a dog or bitch mature before having them neutered is thought to be far more benefitial, as I think having them done too soon can be detrimental to their natural development.

Vets always want to chop bits off dogs as soon as they can get their scalpuls near them!:-X It's money for old rope (or something like that!)

Thank you Davecav

I take what you are saying but I cant see they get any more money out of it at 12 months old to younger ? They can only do it once lol
In what way detrimental to development ?

Great post! I also have been wondering this. I have heard vets say between 5 -6 months, but then a lot of stuff I have read says to wait so they can complete their growth process.

Mine was done at 11 months old. I read that we should let the dog mature otherwise it will affect dog development.

I like to see males of any breed of dog neutered after they are done growing, so around 12 - 18 months old, sometimes up to 2 years old. Now this is only if you have the time and patience to deal with raging teenage male hormones! A lot will lift their leg, want to hump things, and may go crazy if they smell a female in season even from miles away. Some males are absolutely laid back...just depends on the individual. The most important thing is to be responsible with your in tact dog! If you worry about that then get the dog neutered earlier, 6 months is the earliest I would ever spay or neuter a dog.

Great post! I also have been wondering this. I have heard vets say between 5 -6 months, but then a lot of stuff I have read says to wait so they can complete their growth process.

I believe most vets will push for the earlier spay or neuter to prevent unwanted/unnecessary litters. I would rather see a dog spayed at 5 months old than see a dog have a litter at 12 months old.

Thank you all for the replies so far. I was hoping for a lively discussion on this subject, and we are getting some good and varied opinions :)

I had Max neutered at six months old and Rylie at just over a year. I did a lot of research in between and decided that since I also wanted to do agility with Rylie it would be far better to let him finish growing. I've never seen any research showing that there are any health benefits to neutering a male early. To be perfectly honest I struggled with getting Rylie neutered at all. The reason that tipped my decision is that I would like to get a little girl someday and I don't want to worry about getting him neutered as an older dog.

As far as marking - Max started marking at 10 months old (4 months after being neutered) - Rylie maybe a month or two earlier. Both of them have marked in the house once. Max in a room he doesn't usually have access to and Rylie marked on my poor Mindy:(.

Max would mark every blade of grass and tree outside if I would allow it but when we are on walks I don't tend to allow very much of it. Rylie will mark occasionally but not nearly as much as Max. Both dogs pee like girls so there is a definite difference between when they are urinating and when they are trying to mark.

Max is far taller than both his parents and grandparents. Some would say that is because of the early neuter but who really knows for sure? I would probably never again neuter a dog younger than 12 months. I understand in theory why the shelters neuter puppies before they are homed but honestly the ones around here are VERY VERY selective about who gets dogs so I think with all the other tests people have to pass to get a shelter dog that surely they should be considered responsible enough to either neuter at an appropriate age or make sure their dog does not reproduce.

So asking a question:
Toby just turned 5 months old yesterday. He started sniffing butts when Bella the female came to our home this past weekend. At the puppy social he did the same thing. Last night on a visit to my daughters home, he smelled Bella on her carpet (her friend and Bella visited her home) and he marked the dining room floor for the first time in his life. He has not tried humping another dog yet. He has only done that to a Toy that he gets angry with.
Knowing all of this would you opt to neuter at 6-8 months or wait even longer? I do not take to these habits well. I am very much a clean freak and telling you the truth it is embarrassing to me. I apologized several times to my daughter. We went to buy urine smell removal right after it happened. I hope he does not do this again or he cannot visit her until he quits!
Becky

Please see attached - it makes very interesting reading, and not very nice reading in parts, where pups as young as 6wks are neutered!!!
Towards the end of the article the writer deals with a dog's inability to mature properly if neutered too early + the likelihood of further growth as in human eunochs of the past.

http://www.doglistener.co.uk/medical/neuter.shtml

So asking a question:
Knowing all of this would you opt to neuter at 6-8 months or wait even longer?

If you can manage I would wait. Hormones are a funny thing in young dogs and makes them act different, but Toby is so young that behaviors can be trained. Marking outside is fine, marking inside is not. During this time keep him under strict supervision, as if you are potty training him all over again. He knows not to potty inside, but he does not know not to mark inside. Training for no marking is the same for potty training.

Really though, even if you did neuter him at 6 months old, there is NO guarantee that he will not mark anymore. It is 80% training and 20% hormones! (Pulled those numbers randomly out of my head, not an actual fact loll).

There is research that suggest you should wait for the dog to mature before a spay/neuter. However, I have neutered all my pet dogs at age 8-9 months. I just don't like going through the boy hormonal stage.

So asking a question:
Toby just turned 5 months old yesterday. He started sniffing butts when Bella the female came to our home this past weekend. At the puppy social he did the same thing. Last night on a visit to my daughters home, he smelled Bella on her carpet (her friend and Bella visited her home) and he marked the dining room floor for the first time in his life. He has not tried humping another dog yet. He has only done that to a Toy that he gets angry with.
Knowing all of this would you opt to neuter at 6-8 months or wait even longer? I do not take to these habits well. I am very much a clean freak and telling you the truth it is embarrassing to me. I apologized several times to my daughter. We went to buy urine smell removal right after it happened. I hope he does not do this again or he cannot visit her until he quits!
Becky

Vinegar is a GREAT smell removal thing. You just mix it with water in a little spray bottle and spray it on. You can add a bit of lemon juice if you want to stop it smelling like vinegar. I think it is 1 part vinegar to 5 parts water and a few drops of lemon. It works really well!

He did stop marking places where he WASN'T meant to, but it didn't stop him completely.
He will still do it out on walks and in the backyard, but he does it much less then before as well.

And in regards to the growth, they have legs the same length, but Anzac was a bit larger overall.
He had a wider build, and I am not sure if that is related to anything or if it is just their genes.

Did this stop Kokoda from Marking again? Did you notice a difference between the 2 dogs with the growth of their legs? 1 dog has longer legs than the other?

Becky

I read someones post saying that they waited so they could perform in agility?
I found that Kokoda is MUCH more willing to jump than my other dog whom i waited for.
I am actually waiting until Kokoda is 18 mos. old because the local agility club (B.A.D how cool is that!)
only trains dogs older than 18 months, and i think they have to be desexed.

Back