• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Vaccinating at home???

Nana26

I was wondering how many on here vaccinate annually? I've been reading up on the vaccines and to be quite honest they scare me!

We do all our vaccination except Rabies here at home. Do any of you do your own vaccination?

I was shocked today at the vets office when they listed vaccines on our pre-visit quote for $29....it only cost me $4 to purchase them!!!

The vets price would include a "wellness check" - even if you are doing your own vaccination [not something which is practised in the UK] you should really be taking your dogs for an annual check up.

If you search on here you will find many discussions about vaccination, we recommend that people read Jean Dodds' site

http://www.itsfortheanimals.com/DODDS-CHG-VACC-PROTOCOLS.HTM

Obviously it is a matter of personal opinion and you need to do your own research and think carefully about decisions [also check with your pet insurance company]. I would advise reading the vaccination chapter in this book http://www.amazon.co.uk/Homeopathic...9350/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1316721536&sr=8-1

I have been trying to get on the three year schedule...but it has been difficult because of boarding that requires all vaccines yearly. Our county requires rabies every two years so I haven't been able to do anything about that. Bentley is going to be my experiment dog, so to speak, he is almost due for his year booster then we are going to try the three year with him. My big dogs require boarding every summer when we vacation but Bentley is small enough we can take with.

Personally, I would never vaccinate myself just because I don't trust them to be stored correctly to be effective. (we can purchase vaccines from the feed lot store)

No the vet price was just for the vaccination. The "wellness check" was a seperate line charge. This was their annual visit and I wanted them completely checked; heart, eyes, patella's etc. I agree with you that the annual visit is important.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The vets price would include a "wellness check" - even if you are doing your own vaccination [not something which is practised in the UK] you should really be taking your dogs for an annual check up.

If you search on here you will find many discussions about vaccination, we recommend that people read Jean Dodds' site

http://www.itsfortheanimals.com/DODDS-CHG-VACC-PROTOCOLS.HTM

Obviously it is a matter of personal opinion and you need to do your own research and think carefully about decisions [also check with your pet insurance company]. I would advise reading the vaccination chapter in this book http://www.amazon.co.uk/Homeopathic...9350/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1316721536&sr=8-1

Here our vets charge around $30 for the booster, $40 for the wellness check and $10 for rabies.

I have been doing my own vaccines for several years. I pay $5 per pet. My pets still get there yearly wellness checks and rabies done every 3 years by the vet. With 4 dogs and 4 cats its quiet a savings. My vet is very supportive with my self vaccinating and every year advises me on brands to avoid. (Because of not working properly with our location. Recently we have had a strain of distemper breaking out in vaccinated dogs)

I am however thinking about having my cavaliers vaccinated at the vet clinic next year due to all of there health conditions and medications. I have been wondering if the vaccines could poss a possible threat to dogs with SM or MVD. Or interact with there medication.

Our insurance is also okay with me vaccinating them...BUT if they come down with something the vaccine should have prevented I have to pay for a tiler test. If there bodies don't show signs of the vaccine they will not cover the cost of the care.

On another note.... You really have to trust your vaccination source. If the vaccines are not handled/stored/shipped properly it could leave them ineffective.

Back