• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

adult fangs coming through

gamefanz

Toby's bottom adult fangs have come through the gum but his 2 baby fangs are still there and not loose. The adult fangs are going in behind the baby teeth. Will this hurt Toby? Do the baby teeth need to be pulled out? How long should we wait before taking him to the vet?
Becky

Brookyln's did this. The vet just said that we would keep an eye on it, and if they were there still when she got desexed, that she might pull them while Brooky was under. But, thankfully, they did eventually fall out! But at one point she had two full teeth almost in one spot (the baby and the adult!) My vet said it is pretty common for those teeth and just to give it a little time.

You can always call your vet though and just say what is happening to get her consensus :) just keep an eye on it and give him lots of nice cool things to chew :)

Oh, and as for hurting Toby, I doubt it. It never seemed to bother Brookyln, just looked funny for a while! Just keep an eye on him and if he doesn't want to chew or eat or something, than it might be hurting him...but if he is acting normal, than you are fine :)

I just had a funny vision of puppy braces. Ha!

Thanks for replying. I'm glad Brookyln's teeth eventually fell out. I hope Toby's teeth with do the same. Yesterday was an off day for him, not much eating. Probably just not feeling well due to his teeth. I guess I will call the vet this morning just to see what they say. The teeth have been there less than 1 week so they will probably tell me to wait it out too. I was afraid his teeth would not align right if we kept the baby teeth in.
Becky

Coco still has 3 puppy fangs... I am starting to think I need to have her sedated to remove them. I really don't want to put her under GA, I just keep hoping the others will fall out since 1 finally did about 2 months ago. As for what she thinks, they dont bother her at all. I am sure Toby is just fine :)

Hmmmmm the fangs must be stubborn for dogs. I do hope they will come out shortly for Coco so she won't have to see the vet. I didn't have time to call the vet today but I will this week sometime just to ask questions.
Becky

Coco still has 3 puppy fangs... I am starting to think I need to have her sedated to remove them. I really don't want to put her under GA, I just keep hoping the others will fall out since 1 finally did about 2 months ago. As for what she thinks, they dont bother her at all. I am sure Toby is just fine :)

Chloe had those too, plus some. We only noticed the two front ones but the vet found four more and he took them all while Chloe was under when she had her operation. We are lucky to have such a good vet, and he did not even charged us for that. Good luck with Toby.

Back