• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Red lips??

BrooklynMom

Hey all,
I got home today and Brooky had the reddest lips I have ever seen. Any thoughts on this? While I was gone, she had a Kong (filled with Ziwi Peak and a little banana and a tiny piece of kangaroo jerky). None of these foods are new, but maybe she had a reaction? Or this might just be a normal thing that happens?

She doesnt seem distressed by it at all, but I just thought it was strange so I thought I would ask. I took a pic, it is actually a bit pinker than in this pic (no bumps or anything, just really hot pink and she doesn't seem to want me touching it). Also, it seems to be lessening as the hour goes by, but just curious if anyone might know what started it??

photo by kelseykakes5, on Flickr

Oh my goodness!! I just found a bee stinger in her lip!!!!

I thought, gee, I should really investigate this more in case it is a tick inside her mouth or somewhere i cannot see (we are having horrible cases of paralysis ticks by me at the moment), but she would not let me near her mouth so I had to finally just hold her down (I felt horrible, but my instincts took over and told me I had to find something). Then I found it, burried in her skin, a stinger!

Poor thing :( I think I only found it because her lip started to swell a bit and push it out. Sigh...glad I found it, now she has a fat lip.

So, problem solved!

You can a little bit of benadryl. Call your vet, or check (a legitimate site) through google. It will reduce the reaction she's having.

Thanks for that. I spoke with the vet, I actually might bring her in as her face (beyond where the stinger was) seems to be swelling a bit). Vet said she is fine, but better safe that sorry as they can give her anything she might need if she is swelling a lot. All she wants to do is burry her head in my lap, I think she feels a bit sorry for herself. Poor thing.

Oh poor Brooky.
In a way you are lucky the bee didn't get in her mouth or worse that she would have swallowed the bee.
No wonder she didn't let you near her mouth. Gentle :hug:

Oye! I am SO glad I drove to the vet. At first I thought I was over reacting, but then she just started to swell and I didn't want to risk it (and my fav vet nurse just said, if you are unsure, bring her in). By the time I got to the vet, she was drooling, he tongue was so swollen it was drooped over her bottom teeth on both sides, and her neck was huge! Right when I got in they saw me, gave her two shots and pretty soon after that, the swelling started to go down. WHEW. The vet told me she was really happy I brought her in, it was necessary at that point to get her help. She stayed a while checking vitals, etc. and once she was stable we went back home.
It amazes me how things can turn from okay to bad in minutes. All she wanted to do at home was sleep and burry her head in my side. It was at this point, when I sort of stopped being able to keep her head up that I thought "she is not just tired, this is not normal". She could hardly keep her head up! I drove so fast, if a cop pulled me over there would have been a good chance he would have had to follow me to the vet because I was NOT stopping!!

Brooky is okay now, sleeping heavy. The vet felt fine to let her go home and just for us to expect that she would sleep for a while. A note to everyone, just pay attention to these things and always go to the vet if you are unsure. It is worth the bill "just in case".

She is a tough cookie!

Just catching up un this. Poor Brooky, hope she's feeling better and that the swelling has gong down. Bee stings can be so scary. Is she alergic? Check with the vet for future reference, but a 1/2 tablet of benadryl is usually Ok in cases like this . Let us know how she is today.

Oh my goodness! How scary, I'm always afraid of Bobby and Belle getting a bee sting. I'm so glad you got Brooklyn to the vet and she is ok.

You did :xctly: the right thing contacting the vet. Stings around the face and neck can be very dangerous as swelling can close the throat which obviously could be fatal :(

I always have the homoeopathic remedy Apis with me, that can reduce the swelling to give you time to get to the vet.

In the United States and Canada, Benadryl products contain the first-generation antihistamine diphenhydramine. Diphenhydramine is used as an allergy treatment in various forms around the world. It is an H1 receptor antagonist. Antagonism is achieved through blocking the effect of histamine more than blocking its production or release. Diphenhydramine inhibits most responses of smooth muscle to histamine and acts as a vasoconstrictor by inhibiting the vasodilator effects of histamine. The antagonism may also produce anticholinergic effects, antiemetic effects, and significant sedative side effects.

In the United Kingdom, Benadryl products contain either the second-generation non-sedating antihistamine acrivastine (marketed as Benadryl Allergy Relief, with a suggested efficacy duration of eight hours) or the non-sedating antihistamine cetirizine (marketed as Benadryl One a Day Relief). Cetirizine is indicated for the relief of symptoms associated with allergy and hives. It is an orally active and selective H1 receptor antagonist.

I can't find anything to indicate if acrivastine and cetirizine are safe for dogs

Piriton contains Chlorpheniramine maleate and is safe for dogs - From what I can find, the usual dose for dogs is 2-8mg per dog every 8-12 hours - would need to check dose with a vet though.

Thanks for all that extra info. They are not sure if she is allergic or not, but they got concerned once her tongue started to swell up and she was drooling (meaning she could not swallow). My vet said that because these little guys are so small, there is not much room to play around with when it comes to swelling, so coming in was the best thing. She got two shots (dexamethasone and histamil) and some anti-inflametories. The shots seemed to help almost right away. She is looking so much better this morning! Just happy that she is all happy again.

I love my vet because they don't rush you in. I usually call and they help me through most stuff on the phone, and even with the bee sting, they were not too concerned and gave me signs to look out for in order to bring her in. Once she started showing these signs I called back and they walked me through what to check for etc. and then finally said bring her in. They all love Brooky so much there too and Brooklyn is so happy being at the vet! Even when she got her shot deep in the muscle, she was licking the face of the vet with her tail wagging, ha.

Back