• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Carrots

Brian M

Hi

I feed the girls twice a day 7.30 am and 5.30 pm but at the weekend when I am with them all day
I can hear poor Pops stomach gugling and rumbling ,so over the last couple of weeks I have found
some packets of whole small washed carrots in Sainsbury's and have been giving them one each
between meals .They all enjoy them and they are excellant for their teeth and I cant see any effect
of them at the waste disposal end ,but can there be such a thing as carrot overload or would you
say I am OK using them as a filler inbetween meals .I also of a nightime occasionally give them
Burns dried carrot but they are more like flakes but they enjoy them just as well ,also tried them with
chunks of turnip /swede/rutabaga wich they crunch away with but I think raw carrot is favourite.

carrots

my boy eats carrots all the time. He receives about 50 grams of chicken, rice and vedies and then I fill him up on carrots. My little boy has an auto immune disease and has been on cortisone for the last 10 months, so the vet told me charlie could eat as many carrots as he likes. He will not eat them raw though. This fills him up and he does not nag for any more food.

Brooky loves carrots...and frozen in the summer time is her favourite because they get all cool and mushy but keep their shape. I also blend them up and use them to fill Kongs too, yum :eek:

By the way...I think our dogs eat better than us!

Hi

I feed the girls twice a day 7.30 am and 5.30 pm but at the weekend when I am with them all day
I can hear poor Pops stomach gugling and rumbling ,so over the last couple of weeks I have found
some packets of whole small washed carrots in Sainsbury's and have been giving them one each
between meals .They all enjoy them and they are excellant for their teeth and I cant see any effect
of them at the waste disposal end ,but can there be such a thing as carrot overload or would you
say I am OK using them as a filler inbetween meals .I also of a nightime occasionally give them
Burns dried carrot but they are more like flakes but they enjoy them just as well ,also tried them with
chunks of turnip /swede/rutabaga wich they crunch away with but I think raw carrot is favourite.

My only concern would be that they are already washed. Washed in what exactly? Is it chlorine?
I buy fresh and peel them myself.

Is this post in the wrong section????

I have been recommended to put big chunks of raw carrot in Blues food...he's on steroids so he is starving all the time! he loves them...i occasionally see a bit in what comes out the other end, but no ill effects. They are high in vitamins & low in calories & good for crunching on.... happy days!:cool:

Bubbles loves carrots - but they have to be cooked!! She turns her nose up at raw carrots so I keep a bowl of cooked ones in the fridge and they serve as treats. I asked vet if I could bulk up her food with them but he advised against feeding her too many carrots (not sure why).

I think its funny how one vet says feed him up on carrots as musch as he likes and then another says not too many. If I did not give charlie carrots in his food all the time he would be twice his weight, due to the cortisone, and I would be at the vet every second day due to his illness. I took me at at least 3 months to work out what charlie can and can not eat, and carrots seem to be the only vegie that he will eat, and if does not upset him or trigger his auto immune disease then I am happy to stick to that

Moved this thread to health/diet as it seems to have accidentally started in breed rescue!

Back