• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Ear infection

ashleighelizabeth

Sonny had his last round of vaccinations today. Yay!!!!cl*p They gave him a dose of Benadryl since he has acted a little restless after both of his other vaccines. So far he is doing well. The little guy is just curled up on my lap sleeping.

We also found out while we were at the vet that he has a minor ear infection. :(The vet gave us an ear wash to use weekly and an antibiotic to use for a week. They said that we should continue to use the ear was as a preventative. I was wondering if others use ear washes regularly and how often and what brand....

Once a week on all of mine. They also get it after a bath or any contact with water.

My vet has us using Epi-Otic Ear Cleaner. I buy it online (ebay or amazon) for 1/2 the price my vet sells it for.

So far this has worked really well for us :p

They said that we should continue to use the ear was as a preventative. I was wondering if others use ear washes regularly and how often and what brand....

When we had our Shih Tzu (another long, floppy ear breed) I always used an ear wash after his bath. It helped dry up any water that accumulated. He was prone to ear problems, and the Otomax antibiotic was greasy stuff.

What really helped him, was after the ear wash and everything dried out, I started putting a very light dusting of Mexsana bath powder http://www.amazon.com/Mexsana-Medicated-Antiseptic-Powder-11/dp/B000NRT5LK in the ears. Once I did that after every bath & earwash, he never had any more ear infections. I don't know why I ever gave that a try, nor why it worked, but it did.

I don't do anything to Sophie's ears, as they don't need it. I check them regularly and maybe once a month I'll do the ear wash. Each dog is different.

When we had our Shih Tzu (another long, floppy ear breed) I always used an ear wash after his bath. It helped dry up any water that accumulated. He was prone to ear problems, and the Otomax antibiotic was greasy stuff.

What really helped him, was after the ear wash and everything dried out, I started putting a very light dusting of Mexsana bath powder http://www.amazon.com/Mexsana-Medicated-Antiseptic-Powder-11/dp/B000NRT5LK in the ears. Once I did that after every bath & earwash, he never had any more ear infections. I don't know why I ever gave that a try, nor why it worked, but it did.

I don't do anything to Sophie's ears, as they don't need it. I check them regularly and maybe once a month I'll do the ear wash. Each dog is different.

Thanks! I will definitely try that powder!!!!

Sooooooo now I have another question about ear infections. We just tried to use the ear wash and then apply the octomax antibiotic and it was a horrendous experience. I want to cry because I feel like we traumatized poor Sonny. The ear wash part went fine. He didn't love it, but it was easy to squirt it while distracting him with bits of hot dog. However, the octomax was very difficult. He was so scared and thrashing about making it impossible to flop his ear over and apply the antibiotic. We finally got him in a position where we could kind of hold him still, but I don't even know if I got any in the first ear and then the second ear, he jerked his head really hard while I was applying and I have no idea if he hit his ear drum against the applicator or what. I don't think I had it in very far, I'm not even sure I had it in far enough to be effective, but it still really scared me. Please let me know if any one has any advice on how to make this less traumatizing for Sonny. Maybe someone knows an easy way to hold them??? Or knows a special trick to make this easy.... :grin: We have been practicing handling exercises in puppy preschool, but I guess we hadn't done enough work with his ears.:? I'm so worried that we aren't going to be able to EFFECTIVELY apply this antibiotic and then I don't know what we will do. I'm thinking of calling the vet to see if they will apply each day for the week..... but not sure they will and I feel it is better for Sonny if we just do at home. Any help is appreciated. :thnku:

Back