View Full Version : Frusemide and kidney function

11th October 2011, 07:20 PM
Hi guys....more advice needed! Blue has been on Frusemide for nearly a month now. He had a kidney function blood test today, his potassium was ok but his urea was 11 which is slightly higher than it should be, my vet said not to worry.....yeah right! I do nothing but worry with this SM!....but he wouldn't like to increase his frusemide in the future.
My thinking is do we actually NEED to be on the frusemide? Is anybody else on frusemide? What are your thoughts? He has referred me to Chester Gates so we should be able to get there next week to see Mr Skerritt.

Kate H
11th October 2011, 09:27 PM
Many of our dogs are on frusemide, though some neurologists are moving to other CSF inhibitors/diuretics. The slowing down of the circulation of the CSF (which in Cavaliers is due to a malformation at the base of the skull causing a blockage at the top of the spine) is the source of the CM/SM problems such as dilated ventricles and syrinxes, so a drug like frusemide is used to reduce (it is hoped!) the amount of CSF in them. Unfortunately, they can also lower the level of ALL fluids in the body, which can eventually cause problems for the kidneys, because they are not getting enough fluid to function properly. So a dog on a CSF inhibitor needs to have its kidneys checked regularly; your vet will know when the result is likely to cause problems - obviously he thinks that Blue's slightly abnormal reading is not a danger at the moment.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

11th October 2011, 10:05 PM
Thanks, that's reassuring. Another side of this awful condition!!

Kate H
12th October 2011, 10:20 AM
Yes, it's a bit like fighting a seven-headed hydra - you chop off one head successfully and another pops up!

Kate, Oliver and Aled

12th October 2011, 10:26 AM
Lol! That's what I was thinking this morning! You get one thing sorted and come to terms with it, then along pops up something else out of the blue!

Brian M
12th October 2011, 11:49 AM

I took my Daisy to Chestergates recently for an MRI scan and she was diagnosed with SM and CM and PSOM on one side ,she was put on frusemide as a CSF reducing drug .I then found out the next day she had a heart murmur so had to take her the same week to a Cardiologist for tests and it was confirmed she had a Grade 2 heart murmur .We then had to decide if we continue with frusemide or seek another drug as I was advised that it may not be helpful to continue with frusemide if your dog also has a heart murmur .After advice from many sources it seemed that Zitac (cimetidine ) would be the better drug to take as a form of CSF reducing drug for her SM as it also had no conflict with her murmur .

Good Luck we can all only do what we think is best for our own dogs after investigating all possible routes of treatment and after advice from your own consultants, as at the end of the day you are ultimately responsible for your own little Cavalier.

Ps And for me what muddied the water was Daisy having a heart murmur otherwise she could still be on frusemide .Also note on Clare Rushbridges site she now omits frusemide in her SM treatment algorithm ,but we do not know if this was an omission or error.


12th October 2011, 03:06 PM
Hi Brian, I have read Daisys story, poor thing having a double whammy. Blue is actually a border collie....we are the black sheep of the forum! But everyone's advice is so helpful. I was wondering about the cimetidine. I guess we shall wait until next week and I can see what Mr Skerritt says. We are on an even keel at the moment! He seems pretty good and mobile, able to get up to mischief again! Certainly the omeprazole is invaluable to us, it has made such a difference to him.

12th October 2011, 09:25 PM
Frusemide is a wonder drug so far as my Rebel is concerned. Within a week of starting on it he was a changed dog. He still has the odd bad day when he looks absolutely awful, but these are getting few and far between now.

My vet tests every 3 months for potassium levels and kidney function, but the results have been fine.

It sounds to me as if your vet is spot on and I don't think you need to worry. Sending hugs by cyber post ;)