• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Waiting for my puppy.

Alana

Hello every one! My name is Alana and I have wanted a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel since I was a little girl, now at 30 year old I am finally getting one for Christmas. I am very excited! I have a breeder and the pups are currently 3 days old. I am waiting for another month before I go and meet the pups because the breeder wants them to have a full vet check before people go in and get attached. I am really excited.

Hi and welcome! Waiting for a puppy is very exciting. :D

Be sure that the breeder cardiologist tests her breeding dogs and that they both had clear hearts and ideally their parents too (eg 4 grandparents) should also have had clear hearts up to at last age 5. Ideally breeders should also be able to tell you the MRi scan results on parents, for syringomyelia. These are the two most important health results you want to see -- (also eyes, and should be hip scores too) -- far more important than the puppy's own health check. Almost all puppies are going to pass a basic vet check. Because nearly all the serious and common cavalier health issues are gradual onset conditions that will be extremely unlikely to show in a young dog and even before age 1, the tests done on *parents* are actually far more important and significant. (y)

If this all sounds really confusing, there are links to a number of puppy buying guides in the right hand column on the board homepage. :D

We have some other Australian members so I am sure they will be happy to see another join the board!

Welcome! Where are you from in Australia? I am in Sydney and there are others in Brisbane and Adelaide too :)

:D

These are the two most important health results you want to see -- (also eyes, and should be hip scores too) -- far more important than the puppy's own health check. Almost all puppies are going to pass a basic vet check. Because nearly all the serious and common cavalier health issues are gradual onset conditions that will be extremely unlikely to show in a young dog and even before age 1, the tests done on *parents* are actually far more important and significant. (y)

If this all sounds really confusing, there are links to a number of puppy buying guides in the right hand column on the board homepage. :D

We have some other Australian members so I am sure they will be happy to see another join the board!

Thanks Karlin,

I had done some research before looking at breeders and the first breeder I went to was not good. She claimed to have been breeding for 35 years etc but when I looked at the mother her eyes were bulgy and so I asked some questions and she said that she had never bred from this bitch before and that she was only 1.5 years old. Now from what I have read people say that if you have never bred from them before you should wait until they are at least 2.5 years old just to ensure that there are no health issues like the ones you have stated above.

I found another breeder who has all of the papers showing test results of the parents etc, and he also said that he doesn't take deposits or lets people come to choose their pups until they have had all the necessary tests done. He was much more professional. So in about 3 weeks I will be able to meet my puppy.

Back