• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Hi

Hi everyone I have a Cavie that is 1 year 4 months. Never thought i would have a small dog. Dakota is a sweet little boy full of personality! One bad habit is he barks and screaches when he see his harness, wants to go downstairs, or outside in his fenced yard. He doesn't do this for normal bathroom visits - also does this if we are walking and I stop to talk to someone and he wants to keep going. I am trying my hardest to break him but it is hard. Any suggestions.

Hi there.
Would love to see a photo of your little guy.

Does he enjoy his walks but doesn't like his harness?
My little guy is three months and has just had his last booster vaccination and from next week, is able to go for walkies.
We have both a harness and collar and lead. He outright refuses to wear a harness and a lead, he insists on carrying it himself and wont walk
without being able to hold a part in his mouth.

When you stop, does whoever your chatting to pay attention to Dakoda? My advice is probably useless, but perhaps take a toy on walkies
with you and if you stop to chat, give Dakoda something to amuse himself with.

I'm sure someone will be along to offer better advice than I could.

Hi Lisa,

Yes...please post some photos! And I love the name Dakota -- I had a cocker spaniel named Dakota who was very sweet and smart too. So there's some good name karma associated with Dakota!

My Bailey is 12 weeks old today and is going for his last round of vaccinations tomorrow morning. I am very excited to start taking him on walks, but he will have none of it! He will wear his collar for a time, but absolutely HATES his harness. He bites at it and tries to jump out of it. We tried attaching the lead to it and he does the same thing as Jessie -- holds it in his mouth. If you pick up the other end, he thinks it's a game of tug-of-war and is ready to play!

So, sorry I have no advice for you. Just wanted to let you know there are lots of us trying to get over harness frustrations...

Back