PDA

View Full Version : Poorly Pip



BIZA
23rd October 2011, 02:39 PM
Has anyone got any ideas what i can do next. My tri boy who is 7yrs is at the vets and has been since Thursday he stopped eating on Monday i took him on Tuesday they said keep an eye on him but on Thursday he was worse so back we went and they kept him in.They have done blood tests scans and xrays everywhere and everything was normal. He had a dental yesterday as his teeth were really bad but that has made no difference.I have just got back from visiting him and he didnt even want to know me just lay on his bed shaking so he is in pain but nobody can find out why.As a last attempt they are trying steroids tomorrow cant try today as the pain killers he is on will react badly.If anyone has had the same thing or has any ideas what else we can try please tell me they are doing bloods again today to see if anything has changed.They have also sent off a poo sample which is normal no signs there either

Holly
23rd October 2011, 03:16 PM
Poor thing- you must be so worried. Have they done any ultrasounds of his abdominal area? Could something in there be giving him pain? Has he had any SM symptoms previously? Scratching his neck area, crying, head tilt, bunny-hopping when walking, etc? If he is possibly having severe SM pain, that wouldn't show up in blood tests or x-rays. Just a thought- seems like you have been very thorough in looking for other things. Here is some info:

http://www.cavaliertalk.com/forums/showthread.php?9097-Site-resources-on-SM


Just throwing out some thoughts for you. You must be so worried. Good luck and keep us updated.

Reptigirl
23rd October 2011, 03:57 PM
I agree with Holly. Also, not all dogs show SM the same way. Before medication my boy who has sever SM would sometimes just freeze. He was experiencing extreme pain episodes and could not/would not want to move. He would also act sad and not want to get up or move if he didn't have to. The episodes would come and go.

The only way SM would show up would be by MRI.

Just a thought! I hope you get it all figured out!

Karlin
23rd October 2011, 04:09 PM
How very worrying for you. :( I'd transfer him to Chestergates vet hospital in Chester which has specialists that might be able to do a diagnosis. There could be an awful lot of things including potentially lungworm, poisoning, maybe SM (but sounds like something else to me)... If regular vets cannot find anything and he is this distressed I would get him to specialists as a matter of extreme urgency.

Kate H
23rd October 2011, 04:51 PM
I would second what Karlin says. We think of Chestergates simply as a specialist neurological centre, but it is in fact a superbly equipped general referral hospital close to Wales - if anyone can find out what's wrong with Pip, they should be able to.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

matties mum
23rd October 2011, 06:26 PM
No advice but loads of hugs for you and Pip
---Aileen

Desrae
23rd October 2011, 10:58 PM
Some good advice here already. Hoping all is getting better for Pip and that you are ok. :hug:

BrooklynMom
23rd October 2011, 11:30 PM
I have no additional advice, but I am thinking of you and Pip!!!! Let us know how she is doing.

pippa
24th October 2011, 12:12 PM
Sorry to hear this- no advice either I'm afraid- thinking of you and Pip x

BIZA
24th October 2011, 01:27 PM
Thank you everyone for your advice and good thoughts rang the vet this morning and he is still the same. They are trying the steroids and we are arranging to see a specialist vet tomorrow. The weather is terrible and some of the local roads have to wait till the rain stops.Fingers crossed the steroids will help a bit and then the other vets will find a reason why this is happening.

Sandrac
24th October 2011, 03:05 PM
Poor Pip, do hope the steroids help him and that he will be able to get specialist help soon. Take care, sending healing hugs :hug:

BIZA
24th October 2011, 09:25 PM
The vets phoned me at about 5pm and i thought the worst but Pip got up and wagged his tail at her this afternoon and they are giving him recovery diet with a syringe at 2pm they had to forse 10mls into him at 4 he took 20mls and licked the syringe its only a little improvement but it has given me hope.He wasnt taking any notice of anyone or anything.He wouldnt eat on his own but he looked interested. Sorry its waffling but i'm so excited

sarahsum
24th October 2011, 11:47 PM
Great news, a positive start :-)

Chloeinalbany
24th October 2011, 11:52 PM
Our thoughts are with you. Sorry we do not know enough to give advice, but Pip is receiving the best care available, take care and hugs from us.
-
Chloe 1.2 yr old Blenheim.

Karlin
25th October 2011, 01:21 AM
Fingers crossed! :)

pippa
25th October 2011, 11:59 AM
That's good news :)

BrooklynMom
25th October 2011, 12:12 PM
Keeping my prayers going for Pip. Any updates?

BIZA
25th October 2011, 01:01 PM
Vet phoned this morning and although he hasn't eaten on his own he is interested in the food just wants them to syringe it into his mouth.They are giving him his medicine in pill form this morning to make sure it doesn't unset him keep opening his mouth and take him off the drip to see if he will drink on his own and I am visiting this afternoon and if all ok I can bring him home and see if being with the others will cheer him up

Portia
25th October 2011, 04:20 PM
Hopefully he can, indeed, go home very soon... I'm keeping Pip in my thoughts!

BIZA
25th October 2011, 07:17 PM
Thank you for your healing thoughts he is home but still not eating on his own but was very bright when I visited him he was out walking around when I got there and he was so pleased to see me he is very tired but is sitting on the arm of the chair beside me got 9 different pills to give him plus syringe his food down him

lindylou
25th October 2011, 07:43 PM
hope you get better soon pip give him a kiss and a cuddle from me

BIZA
27th October 2011, 07:34 PM
Pip seems to be nearly back to normal he is eating on his own and has started drinking now.The steroids seem to have done the trick we are now cutting down everything so fingers crossed as we still have no answer as to why he was so ill.Went and saw the vet today and Pip let everyone know he was waiting I wanted to be cross but was so pleased that he was being naughty again Jo the vet came out and said she guessed he was better before our appointment

Love my Cavaliers
27th October 2011, 09:41 PM
Steroids are amazing drugs. I know my Riley who has SM would probably not be here today if it were not for prednisone. And they seem to work their magic almost instantly. I'm so glad that Pip is feeling so much better. Wish you knew what it was though. Hopefully when you start to wean him off the steroids, he remains his normal self. I'm so happy for you.

pippa
28th October 2011, 12:12 AM
Glad to hear he's feeling better :)


( I have a very naughty Pip too;) and I hate it when he's sick and not his naughty little self)