• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Blood in Poop

nini

Hi all,

My Cavalier (Charlie, tri-colour) is 11 months old and today I noticed that there was a small bit of blood in two of his poops! I haven't noticed blood in any poops before today so think this is the first time! He still seems energetic and seems to be sleeping and eating as normal! He was recently neutered and received a worming dose about two weeks ago!

I am not sure if this is a serious problem or just normal as it is my first Cavalier and haven't had a dog for many years!

Would appreciate all advice and comments! This is my first post on cavalier talk but have found the site extremely helpful since day one, especially Karlin's excellent advice and knowledge!

Thanks,

Anita (Dublin, Ireland)

Hi and welcome! The blood could be from the worming process, but could also be a sign of other things. Sometimes a little blood is nothing to worry about–it might just indicate a mildly upset tummy. But it is really important to watch it and if you begin to see more, to immediately get your dog into the vet. They can get a form of gastroenteritis that involves bleeding–it can actually look quite horrific as if they are passing almost nothing except blood–and dogs can become so dehydrated that they go downhill very quickly. Other dogs seem to be able to tolerate bouts of this without too much bother. I have one dog prone to bleeding gastroenteritis, and as soon as I see it I withhold food for 24 hours to let her stomach settle and then just feed her bland food for the next few days. A couple of times she has needed to go to the vet, but usually it settles down.

Of course, if you are seeing small amounts of blood on and off all the time, I would also go in and talk to the vet.

Most likely, this is either due to the worming tablets, or a little mild tummy upset. You could try withholding food for 12 for 24 hours, and then try feeding just some boiled chicken and plain rice in small amounts for a day or 2.

Thank you Karlin, I really appreciate your response and your great advice! If it continues or gets worse I will bring him to the vet straight away!

Thanks again,

Anita!

Back