• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Bumps on Sonny

ashleighelizabeth

Sonny has a couple of strange bumps on him. The first one kind of just looked like a lump of sap that he had gotten into from the trees in our backyard, but then this morning there were two more bumps. He yelped a couple of times and when we went to see what was going on, one of the spots was bleeding. :( I feel bad so bad for Sonny. The wound is like the size of a dime maybe.... I washed it with hydrogen peroxide and put neosporin on it. I have an appointment with my vet in a couple of hours. Does this sound like ticks??? Or does anyone have any advice or suggestions what could have happened to him... There are still two more bumps on him, but it is really hard to tell what they are. The other two don't look like ticks, but I don't know what else could be going on. :?

Is this a lump under the skin or something on top of the skin? If these are good sized and there are two lumps as if something is under the skin along with a sore as if something has emerged from the skin, it could be bot fly larva. Ticks are unmistakable - you will see the insect attached to the skin but not under the skin. Dime sized sounds pretty big, which made me think of bot fly larva.

Pat

Thanks Pat. They concluded that Sonny has a severe staph infection. :( Poor thing is just a baby. They have no idea what caused it, but they think either allergy to flea bites or some other kind of allergy.They also mentioned an autoimmune disorder..... I'm so sad that the poor little guy is sick. I feel awful that we didn't get him in to the vet yesterday. We saw the first bump yesterday and then today there were so many more.... We have to go back in next week.

They concluded that Sonny has a severe staph infection. :( Poor thing is just a baby. They have no idea what caused it, but they think either allergy to flea bites or some other kind of allergy.They also mentioned an autoimmune disorder..... I'm so sad that the poor little guy is sick. I feel awful that we didn't get him in to the vet yesterday. We saw the first bump yesterday and then today there were so many more.... We have to go back in next week.

Have they checked his thyroid? Sydney has hypothyroidism and it is easily controlled with an inexpensive medication. This is an autoimmune disease and he is prone to staph infections. He gets them several times a year. Usually, as soon as I see a sore I wash it with a medicated shampoo I get from the vet. Also, whenever he gets a bath, I use the same shampoo. If it doesn't clear up and spreads, I get an antibiotic from the vet. There is also an antibiotic cream you can use topically. Hope Sonny is feeling better.

Have they checked his thyroid? Sydney has hypothyroidism and it is easily controlled with an inexpensive medication. This is an autoimmune disease and he is prone to staph infections. He gets them several times a year. Usually, as soon as I see a sore I wash it with a medicated shampoo I get from the vet. Also, whenever he gets a bath, I use the same shampoo. If it doesn't clear up and spreads, I get an antibiotic from the vet. There is also an antibiotic cream you can use topically. Hope Sonny is feeling better.

Thank you so much for this response! I will talk to my vet next week about hypothyroidism. I kind freaked out when she mentioned an autoimmune disorder but I didn't think about it being a thyroid problem. What type of shampoo does your vet prescribe? My vet said that I didn't need to put anything on it because the antibiotic will clear it up on it's own. I was expecting her to give me some sort of cream or wash as well. Sonny is on an antibiotic for 10 days and Temerol??? (to control the scratching). Is the staph infection contagious? We have a cat that frequently romps around with Sonny and I'm wondering if I am going to need to separate them....

The shampoo is ChlorHex 2X 4%. It's an antibiotic shampoo. You can probably by something similar in the pet stores, but since Sydney has had so many of these infections, I make sure I buy the strongest strength. I don't know if this is contagious, I never questioned it since I don't have any other pets. But my guess is no but double check with the vet just to make sure. I assume the other medication is a pain reliever for the scratching. I usually try the cream first, since that will also soothe the area and relieve the scratching. But if that doesn't work, the Tramadol will.

The shampoo is ChlorHex 2X 4%. It's an antibiotic shampoo. You can probably by something similar in the pet stores, but since Sydney has had so many of these infections, I make sure I buy the strongest strength. I don't know if this is contagious, I never questioned it since I don't have any other pets. But my guess is no but double check with the vet just to make sure. I assume the other medication is a pain reliever for the scratching. I usually try the cream first, since that will also soothe the area and relieve the scratching. But if that doesn't work, the Tramadol will.

Thank you Joyce for this information. I am truly grateful for all of the information I get off this site. Sonny thanks you too. :)

How's Sonny doing? Any more updates?

Sonny is doing FANTASTIC!!! THank you so much for all of your advice and being patient with me. I really appreciated your help and support. Sonny hasn't had any more bumps since we started the antibiotics and I think most of the old bumps have healed up. Yay!!!! Now we will just have to do preventative stuff. We have the shampoo and cream handy if another infection comes up. THanks again and lots of hugs from Sonny. :hug:

Back