• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Hi I am a new cavalier owner!

3kids1cav

I am actually a new dog owner! Bentley is a 4 month old tri color king charles cavalier spaniel! I have had him about 3 weeks.. my first dog ever! I did tons of research when my family was begging for a dog, I kept saying no, but then I discovered cavaliers and I FELL in LOVE and started wanting one too.. so I told them that we could maybe get a cav in a year. Well Bentley just feel into our laps basically, the signs that he was supposed to be our dog were in our face. So with in three months of me saying a cav in 1 year. we were bringing Bentley home to join our two domestic long hair cats.

My first 3 weeks have been rocky, no fault of Bentleys, he is the perfect little puppy, accidents are few and far between.. rare occurrence, he sleeps all night, he is well behaved.. basically right now my only concern is teaching him not to mouth which is going well too. He is in puppy class and is doing great! Rocky for me though cause It is my first puppy and WOW! am I overwhelmed, but it gets better and better every day. I am glad we have him about half of the time, and fine having him the rest.. except in the morning but our morning routine is so busy that I am not glad to have anything at that point lol.

So Bentley is part of our family and I am sure I will have tons of questions, I really am glad to have found a place to get support from fellow cavalier owners.. I look forward to talking with more experienced cav owners so I can learn a lot!
I will add pics in a little bit! :)

Hi and icon_welcome
Your in the right place. I'm also a new Cavalier owner. My Jessie is 3 and a half months old and we've had him since 7 weeks old.
This site is a great source of information, and basically anything you need to know about your new furry buddy.

I love Bentley's name!

Congrats on your new Cavalier! I'm a new owner (ok, fine, in 2 weeks I will be a new owner) too! I love Bentley's name! I was actually debating between Bentley and Chauncy and my daughter picked Chauncy. How is it being a new Cavalier owner? :eek:

I am actually a new dog owner! Bentley is a 4 month old tri color king charles cavalier spaniel! I have had him about 3 weeks.. my first dog ever! I did tons of research when my family was begging for a dog, I kept saying no, but then I discovered cavaliers and I FELL in LOVE and started wanting one too.. so I told them that we could maybe get a cav in a year. Well Bentley just feel into our laps basically, the signs that he was supposed to be our dog were in our face. So with in three months of me saying a cav in 1 year. we were bringing Bentley home to join our two domestic long hair cats.

My first 3 weeks have been rocky, no fault of Bentleys, he is the perfect little puppy, accidents are few and far between.. rare occurrence, he sleeps all night, he is well behaved.. basically right now my only concern is teaching him not to mouth which is going well too. He is in puppy class and is doing great! Rocky for me though cause It is my first puppy and WOW! am I overwhelmed, but it gets better and better every day. I am glad we have him about half of the time, and fine having him the rest.. except in the morning but our morning routine is so busy that I am not glad to have anything at that point lol.

So Bentley is part of our family and I am sure I will have tons of questions, I really am glad to have found a place to get support from fellow cavalier owners.. I look forward to talking with more experienced cav owners so I can learn a lot!
I will add pics in a little bit! :)

Welcome! My puppy is about 5 months old now, but I am also a new puppy owner and I am still learning ALOT. Just to let you know, I was very overwhelmed in the beginning too. My husband and I had both had dogs and puppies growing up , but apparently we didn't do any of the work because neither of us remember all of these little puppy stages. Just hang in there because it will get easier as your puppy learns his little daily routine. :) There are so many great resources on this site to help and support you with all of your puppy woes and questions.

lindylou

hi and
icon_welcome
good luck with your new baby
i have had 4 cavvies over the yrs sam blenhem bought from a puppy center at 8 weeks pts at 14 weeks with distemper
(never again )
then a fews months later sam tri bought from a home breeder we had sam for 12.5 yrs
then rowley a blenhem we had him 10.5 yrs died of a grade 5 heart mumur
today we have a tri called louie he is 3.5 yrs old

My Bentley will be 1 year old on Nov 26. I picked the name because it sounded a little "uppity!" He's a delightful dog, also our first house pet ever and we've been married 49 years. I wish I had thought of the name Chauncey, though, as that was my Daddy's name. He always disliked the name and so did I because it was so different, but it would be great for a Cav. Maybe next time!

Hi and welcome!! Don't worry...my cavvie was my first dog too and I was SO overwhelmed for the first few months. Everything was just so new and nothing can really prepare you for it all. People who don't know underestimate the work and patience of owning a puppy! But every week and every month gets better! So you are not alone, we are all overwhelmed in the beginning :) Brooklyn is now 1 year old and it is light years away from the crazies that were puppy-hood!!

Forrest (Blenheim) is our first pet also, he's 9 weeks old, so we're in just about the same boat. I totally can relate with a lot of things you said. Your Bentley is just a bit older than Forrest. So, I will be very anxious to follow how he is doing to see if we're on the right track :)

Welcome to the forum. I know exactly how you feel. When I got my puppy Cavaliers, I had never owned a dog. Discovering this forum helped
me a lot. Looking forward to seeing lots of photos of Bentley. icon_welcome

Congratulations on your new Cav. They are wonderful companions which you will discover with your new puppy. This is a great forum, full of information. Look forward to seeing some photos of Bentley.

Back