• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Personality Change

Anthony

Princess is 3 and I've had her for a year. She was spayed 3 months ago and up untill that point she was fine, attentive, allert, loved walks (although she'd soon let you know when she'd had enough), not so playfull but in her own way enjoyed it in moderation and she never failed to let me know how much she loved me. Anyway, since her operation she has been a different dog, she sleeps so much more than before, she hates walks, struggles to aknowledge me and the fussing, wagging and licking have all but gone, I'm devastated and as daft as it may sound I'm worried she might be hating me for having her bits removed. I don't know much about her past, all I can tell you is she could'nt want for a more loving home. I do plan a visit to the vets but thought I would ask your advice first. Thankyou.

I think a visit to the vet is definitely in order when you see a drastic personality change. Neither my Mindy or my boys personality changed one iota when they were neutered.

Hi Anthony:

I don't want to worry you but that sounds as if something is very wrong and definitely there is no way that such completely altered behaviour and listlessness is related to a spay. Dogs will not resent a spay :) -- females are actually in a kind of state of a spay, hormonally, anyway about 95% of the time ( a kind of 'neutral' setting that only changes when they are in heat. They are not like humans with a level that changes over a 28 day period then repeats, month after month). So for your dog, a spay won't affect much except they typically become *more* settled and affectionate and slightly slower in metabolism (and hence need a 10-20% cutback on calories or increased exercise).

What you are describing is way beyond that -- sounds like she may be in internal pain. Dogs tend to be back to normal within days of a spay. I would get her in as to your vet as soon as you can so you can try and figure out what is causing this lethargy and change and get her back to her old self. The only way I can imagine this could relate to the spay is if something is wrong internally connected to the operation itself (eg if stitches came out wrongly, internally?). She will need a thorough checkup to start to try and understand what might be going on.

I think it is most likely just coincidence that this change happened following the surgery unless the surgery was botched in some way.

There are some breed health problems that are unfortunately common in the breed, such as the neurological condition syringomyelia, that might account for such a change as well. It is a good idea to just be aware of the breed issues so they can be discussed with your vet.

Please let us know what your vet says. :flwr:

I don't think your bitch would harbour any feelings of resentment for having her spayed.
Sometimes they can change personality,but not to that extent.
Definitely have a check up at the vets to rule out any possible post op infection.
However as bitches age,they become more sedate anyway and will happily snooze all day long.It may just be a natural thing,but to be safe,maybe have a check up with the vets.
Sins

Thankyou everyone for your advice and concern, we have an appointment at the vets tomorrow evening at 6pm, so I will let you know the outcome.

6306295115_7fdf3a1c2c.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Hi everyone. We are just back from the vets and after a thorough examination, he seems to think she could be in pain due to arthritis, he couldn't say for sure though, anyway, shes now on a weeks course of an anitinflammotory drug and if theres no change in her after this then its back to the vets. He also said she could be having a phantom pregnancy, he squeezed one of her teats and a yucky coloured fluid squirted out. Also, he's certain she is a lot older than 3! Her papers obviously give her DOB but I have only had her a year and the vet said they may not be her actual papers, the plot thickens.......... Regardles of her age and her past, shes my Princess and my best friend.
Thanks again for your messages, they really helped xx

Hi everyone. We are just back from the vets and after a thorough examination, he seems to think she could be in pain due to arthritis, he couldn't say for sure though, anyway, shes now on a weeks course of an anitinflammotory drug and if theres no change in her after this then its back to the vets. He also said she could be having a phantom pregnancy, he squeezed one of her teats and a yucky coloured fluid squirted out. Also, he's certain she is a lot older than 3! Her papers obviously give her DOB but I have only had her a year and the vet said they may not be her actual papers, the plot thickens.......... Regardles of her age and her past, shes my Princess and my best friend.
Thanks again for your messages, they really helped xx

Im sorry to hear that and hope your girl gets better. Has your vet ever heard or brought up SM?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had always thought that a bitch would not have false pregnancies once spayed but after googling I see that this can happen, although it is a rare occurence.

I wonder how old your little Princess really is? I must say that I would have my doubts about a diagnosis of arthritis in a young to middle age cavalier.

I do hope the anti-inflammatory drugs make her feel more comfortable.

She looks very sweet!I wouldn't think she looks that old–Old enough to be having arthritis– going from the picture, but you never know. I do think it would be odd for her to have gone from having no arthritis, however, to having such severe arthritis that she can't move and no longer has any pleasure in walks and where it has also changed her behavior towards you, all in a very short time frame. Hopefully you will find some answers as you try her on some medications. Just keep in mind that the medications could also help with pain originating for other reasons as well, but if it helps her, then the end result is the same.

I would think you could only get a phantom pregnancy if the vet failed to remove all of the ovarian tissue during the spay. This can sometimes happen (I know of a couple of cases), and can send her back into having heats or false pregnancies. It is pretty rare though–and also a headache, because it doesn't give you many of the benefits of having a spay.

I guess you will just have to wait and see what happens next. Hopefully you will find an answer and a solution. :)

It is very easy to alter papers, or to give the papers for another dog. there is more reliability if a dog is chipped, and the chip number is matched to the registration papers. The most reliable form of identity is to have DNA verification noted on the papers. Some good breeders do this–one of my dogs came with DNA identification noted on her registration. It is probably the way things will be done in the future–and would eliminate a lot of deliberate fraud in the recording of puppy litters!

Back