PDA

View Full Version : Trustability of Online Puppy Calculators (projected Adult Dog size)

Chauncy
4th November 2011, 01:07 AM
I was wondering if any of you owners or breeders out there know of any good ways to determine a puppy's projected adult dog size. I have read quite a bit on quite a few sites that have said, "Take the puppy's weight at 6 weeks (1 lb 8 ozs) then double that. (1 lb 8 ozs + 1 lb 8 ozs)= 3 lbs. Then you are to take that total and multiply by 2 (3 lbs x 2= 6 lbs). This is your puppy's projected adult weight.

How reliable are those Online Puppy Calculators in determining projected adult dog size?

Chauncy's parents are average in size, nothing remarkable, in that their weights fall within the average range. True Chauncy's brother is about 2 sizes larger than he is. I am quite sure there is no such thing as a Cavalier of 6 lbs... or is there? I do not mind if Chauncy stays small at all, I'm just curious to know if anyone out there has ever seen a Cavalier this petite before. MRIs for both parents are fine. Both parents have cardiologist heart certs. Eye tests for both parents are good. The parents are quite healthy otherwise. I looked for a breeder that was stringent on health aspects of the Cavaliers that they breed, thus having led me to Chauncy. For me, the health of a dog is first and foremost.

Does anyone have any reliable sources specifically that projects a Cavalier's projected weight as an adult? Any and all resources and advice is much appreciated. Thank you in advance to all who reply.

CSutherland
4th November 2011, 02:00 AM
I've never looked into the calculators you mentioned, but I certainly hope our Bentley has reached his full growth. He'll be one year old on Nov 26 and weighed 25 lbs this week when microchipped! That's just too big...bigger than I want for a snuggly lap dog. He has gained about 3 lbs in recent weeks that we can get rid of before long. First he was on prednisone for flea bite allergy - this caused him to want to over eat, then our daughter is battling a brain tumor and has spent most of her time at our house in the past 6 weeks, bringing her Bishon with her. The Bishon is normally a light eater but he & Bentley are in competition for the food bowl so both are eating more than usual.

JessieAndMe
4th November 2011, 03:57 AM
I asked the same question the other day here as well. My little guy is 15 weeks and weighs 5.2kgs (or 11 pounds) and
wondered the same. Found it: http://www.cavaliertalk.com/forums/showthread.php?39945-Puppy-Weight
How old is Chauncy? When Jessie was 7 weeks when we first brought him home, he was tiny. He tends to have a big growth spurt
every second week and I've already had to buy a new collar, as his puppy collar is getting a little too small, having a 30cm neck now.

As long as he's healthy and he's getting all the nutrition and puppy goodness he needs. He's adorable :l*v: so precious.

Chauncy
4th November 2011, 07:23 AM
First of all, I must say how much I love the name Bentley. I was debating between Chauncy and Bentely and my daughter picked Chauncy.

Regarding Bentley's weight, I think you just hit it... Prednisone. I wonder if dogs are anything like humans, if they are, then I would say that the Prednisone is the reason for the weight gain. I used to specialize in pediatric endocrinology and we always warned the parents that out of necessity, sometimes babies or children under the age of 5 years of age are given steroids, but if steroids/corticosteroids are administered aggressively, the patient will eventually be overweight as adults-- it is not due to overeating, it is just simply that steroids given to babies/children during early stages in life cause them to be overweight. Maybe there are some Veterinarians in the house who would be able to verify if dogs react to steroids/corticosteroids the way humans do?

At 25# that is a real live teddy bear you got there :o It must be nice to hug him at that size! I'm quite sure that maybe he may not be lapdog size, but in his heart and in his actions, he still is in all ways a lapdog :o

I've never looked into the calculators you mentioned, but I certainly hope our Bentley has reached his full growth. He'll be one year old on Nov 26 and weighed 25 lbs this week when microchipped! That's just too big...bigger than I want for a snuggly lap dog. He has gained about 3 lbs in recent weeks that we can get rid of before long. First he was on prednisone for flea bite allergy - this caused him to want to over eat, then our daughter is battling a brain tumor and has spent most of her time at our house in the past 6 weeks, bringing her Bishon with her. The Bishon is normally a light eater but he & Bentley are in competition for the food bowl so both are eating more than usual.

Chauncy
4th November 2011, 07:42 AM
Hello and thank you for the reply and the link to your thread, I appreciate it :o

Chauncy is currently 7 weeks and he is 27 ozs. You say that Jessie was tiny too, was he about the same weight when you brought him home?

I agree with you completely in that, as long as they are healthy, all is well. I even told the breeder that I wouldn't mind having a petite dog because I myself am petite at 152cm and 45kgs, ha ha ha...

I asked the same question the other day here as well. My little guy is 15 weeks and weighs 5.2kgs (or 11 pounds) and
wondered the same. Found it: http://www.cavaliertalk.com/forums/showthread.php?39945-Puppy-Weight
How old is Chauncy? When Jessie was 7 weeks when we first brought him home, he was tiny. He tends to have a big growth spurt
every second week and I've already had to buy a new collar, as his puppy collar is getting a little too small, having a 30cm neck now.

As long as he's healthy and he's getting all the nutrition and puppy goodness he needs. He's adorable :l*v: so precious.

Reptigirl
4th November 2011, 03:12 PM
Not sure if it helps much but Flash was 8lbs at 4 months old, 12.5lbs at 6 months old and now 19.5lbs at 1 1/2 years old. He has only recently started to bulk out. He was always really leggy and super thin looking. He is still really muscular and not fat but he looks a little "fuller". His legs seem to be proportioned.

His mom is 12lbs and dad is now a healthy14 lbs. Most of his grandparents are in the 15-20lb range. Flash is considerably larger then his parents but I believe this has a lot to do with environmental conditions they were exposed to.

Lani
4th November 2011, 03:27 PM
Lucky was 17 lbs at 7 months and held that weight for at least a good 6 months. As he got older he got a but bulkier (chest structure). He's still slim but gained an extra 4 lbs in that time. He's now 5.

I have heard that pups in smaller litters gain their full adult weight faster than pups in larger litters (Lucky was in a litter of 2). Based on that, if true, I don't think you can really go by online puppy calculators. Lucky was over 7.5 lbs at 10 weeks, so if I'd have gone by a calcultor, I'd have probably though he'd be a 30 lb dog. But I think he did just grow faster because of his small litter size. LOL

Chauncy
4th November 2011, 05:06 PM
It is so helpful for owners like you to share, as it gives me a better idea about what to expect with Chauncy :o

I had to take a peek at Flash's pictures and he is too cute! His face is expressive and sweet :o

Not sure if it helps much but Flash was 8lbs at 4 months old, 12.5lbs at 6 months old and now 19.5lbs at 1 1/2 years old. He has only recently started to bulk out. He was always really leggy and super thin looking. He is still really muscular and not fat but he looks a little "fuller". His legs seem to be proportioned.

His mom is 12lbs and dad is now a healthy14 lbs. Most of his grandparents are in the 15-20lb range. Flash is considerably larger then his parents but I believe this has a lot to do with environmental conditions they were exposed to.

Chauncy
4th November 2011, 05:10 PM
Hi Lani and thank you for your input regarding those "Puppy Calculators." I really appreciate it. I'm glad to know that those "calculators" are wrong. Lucky for me that Chauncy won't be too small and thank goodness you don't have a 30lb baby on your hands! :lol: Thank you again!

Lucky was 17 lbs at 7 months and held that weight for at least a good 6 months. As he got older he got a but bulkier (chest structure). He's still slim but gained an extra 4 lbs in that time. He's now 5.

I have heard that pups in smaller litters gain their full adult weight faster than pups in larger litters (Lucky was in a litter of 2). Based on that, if true, I don't think you can really go by online puppy calculators. Lucky was over 7.5 lbs at 10 weeks, so if I'd have gone by a calcultor, I'd have probably though he'd be a 30 lb dog. But I think he did just grow faster because of his small litter size. LOL

Sydneys Mom
4th November 2011, 05:25 PM
Hi Lani and thank you for your input regarding those "Puppy Calculators." I really appreciate it. I'm glad to know that those "calculators" are wrong. Lucky for me that Chauncy won't be too small and thank goodness you don't have a 30lb baby on your hands! :lol: Thank you again!

There is nothing wrong with a 30 lb cavalier. Though cavaliers are known to be on the small side, there is a large population of cavaliers that are on the larger side. Sydney was 30 lbs, and with illness has lost 3 lbs. His cardiologist is concerned with the weight loss and wants me to make sure he doesn't lose any more and she would be happy if he gained the 3 lbs. back.

And just think, at this size, there is more to love and cuddle with. :l*v:

Desrae
4th November 2011, 06:08 PM
My Belle is about 18 pounds, she's got a small frame, and we struggle with her plumpiness all the time. Cavaliers tend to be a little obese, unfortunately. My Bobby is around 25 pounds, and when we saw his dad, I literally joked he was a St. Bernard, he was soooo big!!! lol. Bobby is a good size and despite his wonky knee, is really healthy (pray to God it continues).

Bless them, some of the bigger cavaliers do take up a lot of the lap. If mine are positioned on me the wrong way, I actually start to ache (have a touch of arthritis anyway).

Sydneys Mom
4th November 2011, 06:24 PM
My Belle is about 18 pounds, she's got a small frame, and we struggle with her plumpiness all the time. Cavaliers tend to be a little obese, unfortunately. My Bobby is around 25 pounds, and when we saw his dad, I literally joked he was a St. Bernard, he was soooo big!!! lol. Bobby is a good size and despite his wonky knee, is really healthy (pray to God it continues).

Bless them, some of the bigger cavaliers do take up a lot of the lap. If mine are positioned on me the wrong way, I actually start to ache (have a touch of arthritis anyway).

Several years ago, we ran into some very nice people who thought Sydney was a St. Bernard puppy! Plus, it doesn't help that he happens to have an extremely thick coat which makes him look even bigger. It's too bad that cavaliers get a bad rap if they are larger than the "norm". Sydney was always a big boy and except for hypothyroidism, he was healthy. He was heart clear at 8 1/2 yrs is now 11 1/2 yrs and only started on his heart meds this year. That's why, for him to lost 3 lbs in less than a year was a concern. But he is a trooper and is doing really well.

lucidity
4th November 2011, 06:28 PM
I don't trust online calculators either, lol. If your dog came from a reputable breeder, they would be better at estimating the adult size/weight of your puppy because they have info on sire/dam and other ancestors; plus info on littermates.

My Lyra is about 9.5lbs at 6 months old. She was 7lbs at 4 months. We're guessing that she'll be anything between 12 and 15lbs full grown.

JessieAndMe
4th November 2011, 07:50 PM
Chauncy is currently 7 weeks and he is 27 ozs. You say that Jessie was tiny too, was he about the same weight when you brought him home?

Wow, he's only a little poppet :l*v: Bless his cotton socks.
Jessie was a little bigger, but very lean. I worried about how lean he was at the time, as he was only having one meal per day of
puppy food before we brought him home, and two meals of a popular kids wheat cereal at the breeders. We started feeding him the
recommended three puppy meals per day, along with treats occasionally, and he grew rapidly.

Strangely, every Cavalier I've come across in Australia, is quite large. The breed seems to be more of a medium build dog,
so it makes me giggle to hear them being called lapdogs, Jessie doesn't even fit on my lap now! :lol:

Without sounding totally ridiculous, do you think the breed standard also depends on the country and how the breed first
migrated, here especially. I've read websites that have mentioned what the standard is at 15 weeks, and Jessie is like a miniture
horse in comparison.

dozyrosy
4th November 2011, 09:28 PM
No, the Cavalier breed standards are fairly consistent. Weight range should be 10/12/13 lbs to 18 lbs. (Dogs are generally expected to be heavier than bitches.) US breed standards also include size as well as weight. I believe other countries are based on the UK standard. See here (http://cavalierkingcharles.org.uk/breed_standard.html) for UK and US information or check out the various Cavalier club websites.

All my Cavaliers except my current "baby" have been on the large side, and they still think they're lap dogs. My heaviest Cavalier was around 30-32lbs but was also very heavy boned. As a little pup he had huge "carthorse" feet; his breeder told me he'd grow into them and he did just that. But I don't believe it matters how much they actually weigh as long as their weight is correct for their size/build (i.e. they're not fat!) We had an interesting thread about how to judge this a month or so back.

Rosemary

Chauncy
4th November 2011, 09:44 PM
Hello :o I agree with you that there is just "more to love and cuddle with" when it comes to dogs as loving as Cavaliers. By nature they are just so sweet and loving, it is live having a live teddy bear if they do get to about 30 lbs. If Sydney needs to be back to 30 lbs to get back to a healthier state, then I pray that he be able to gain those pounds very quickly! :o

Just reading some of the various posts regarding best size, size, "ideal size," etc. The reason why I told Lani what I did was because I know that when it comes to all aspects, mere preferences cannot be avoided or denied when it comes to practically every aspect of life. When it comes to dogs, the preference of some is to have a Cavalier that can fit onto their lap. For others, it is to have a larger Cavalier that will be a live teddy bear (ideally between 20-40 lbs). For those who have chosen the hobby of Showing their Cavaliers, they prefer for their dogs to fit the "AKC standard." I humble opinion is that it all just comes down to preferences.

At the end of the day, I think the most important thing is that our beloved Cavaliers are as healthy and happy as can be! Good health and happiness are going to forever be blind to the size of our dogs :o

There is nothing wrong with a 30 lb cavalier. Though cavaliers are known to be on the small side, there is a large population of cavaliers that are on the larger side. Sydney was 30 lbs, and with illness has lost 3 lbs. His cardiologist is concerned with the weight loss and wants me to make sure he doesn't lose any more and she would be happy if he gained the 3 lbs. back.

And just think, at this size, there is more to love and cuddle with. :l*v:

Chauncy
4th November 2011, 09:50 PM
I love how I'm learning so much just by having posted my very first question in the Forum :o This is such a great way to learn compared to reading books and such online!

You got me curious, was Belle also very tiny when she was born? Smiles, yes, may God Almighty continue to give Bobby (and Belle) good health!

Chauncy
4th November 2011, 10:05 PM
I didn't know that Sydney had hypothyroidism :( It is extremely understandable why his doctor wants for him to gain the pounds back too. I bid Sydney the best of health :o

Several years ago, we ran into some very nice people who thought Sydney was a St. Bernard puppy! Plus, it doesn't help that he happens to have an extremely thick coat which makes him look even bigger. It's too bad that cavaliers get a bad rap if they are larger than the "norm". Sydney was always a big boy and except for hypothyroidism, he was healthy. He was heart clear at 8 1/2 yrs is now 11 1/2 yrs and only started on his heart meds this year. That's why, for him to lost 3 lbs in less than a year was a concern. But he is a trooper and is doing really well.

Chauncy
4th November 2011, 10:12 PM
Thank you! I just phoned the breeder and she projects that Chauncy will be about 9-10 lbs full grown. Thank you for pointing me in that direction :o

I don't trust online calculators either, lol. If your dog came from a reputable breeder, they would be better at estimating the adult size/weight of your puppy because they have info on sire/dam and other ancestors; plus info on littermates.

My Lyra is about 9.5lbs at 6 months old. She was 7lbs at 4 months. We're guessing that she'll be anything between 12 and 15lbs full grown.

Chauncy
4th November 2011, 10:20 PM
I think you have a very good point in that you entertained the thought that perhaps per country, the "norms" for Cavalier size vary. Around here, at least for all the places I've lived here in the U.S., whenever I have seen Cavaliers out on walks or in dog parks, I have seen them range from about 11-17 lbs. So I think you may have a point there.

That is so cute that Jessie was on a kids wheat cereal :o For a blip there, I had a funny vision of Jessie as a baby sitting properly at a table and having wheat cereal out of a lovely porcelain bowl.

Wow, he's only a little poppet :l*v: Bless his cotton socks.
Jessie was a little bigger, but very lean. I worried about how lean he was at the time, as he was only having one meal per day of
puppy food before we brought him home, and two meals of a popular kids wheat cereal at the breeders. We started feeding him the
recommended three puppy meals per day, along with treats occasionally, and he grew rapidly.

Strangely, every Cavalier I've come across in Australia, is quite large. The breed seems to be more of a medium build dog,
so it makes me giggle to hear them being called lapdogs, Jessie doesn't even fit on my lap now! :lol:

Without sounding totally ridiculous, do you think the breed standard also depends on the country and how the breed first
migrated, here especially. I've read websites that have mentioned what the standard is at 15 weeks, and Jessie is like a miniture
horse in comparison.

Sydneys Mom
4th November 2011, 10:55 PM
At the end of the day, I think the most important thing is that our beloved Cavaliers are as healthy and happy as can be! Good health and happiness are going to forever be blind to the size of our dogs :o

I couldn't agree more! By the way, I looked at the pictures of Chauncy, and he is adorable.

Karlin
4th November 2011, 11:24 PM
The link posted at the very start of this thread, which goes to a post here on the board, isn't an online calculator but the advice of a longtime cavalier breeder. :thmbsup: People often want to have some sort of estimate of size, and as she notes very clearly, you really can only make a very broad guess but she gives a rough way of making a prediction and I think most of us have found it is roughly accurate when it comes to puppies we've owned! :)

Cavaliers come in all sorts of sizes. The breed standard is 12 to 18 pounds in the UK and Ireland, and 13 to 18 pounds in the US–generally one or the other in other countries. That said, the standard is primarily the standard for show purposes, and often dogs will be over that size, and some will be undersized (though this is definitely less common). Also many and perhaps most of the males in the show ring seem to be at least a pound or 2 over breed standard and several breeders that I've talked to over time say they would never use males that fall into the lower to middle areas of the breed standard as they think this produces males that are too slight for showing. In other words, it would be very common to find male show dogs over the breed standard. Perhaps time to change the breed standard– it would be pretty unusual to see dogs being shown that are down at the smaller end of the breed standard so maybe it makes more sense for the size to start at 14 or 15 pounds and go up into the low 20s. There is also an ongoing debate about whether breeding for small size creates more health problems. It is known that miniaturizing breeds into toy size creates a range of health issues that are particular to that process.

I've come across plenty of cavaliers that weigh 25 to 30 pounds, and a handful that are even larger than that. A variety of breeds were used to reconstruct the breed way back at the start of the last century, and depending on the line, it is said these include cockers and even springers and that every now and then, some puppies will throw back to those larger sizes. We had a member here with a cavalier that was in the mid to high 30 pound range or maybe even low 40s, and the largest one that I had come in to rescue over the years was probably in the mid-30s–a big boy, but quite fit and a very beautiful blenheim! It has also said that some less reputable breeders and puppy farmers will use a springer to produce larger litter sizes as cavaliers typically have fairly small litters.

As some have noted, perhaps one of the biggest problems owners face is that whatever the healthy size is for a given cavalier, most cavaliers themselves would prefer to be much larger–as in, they would like to eat themselves into obesity! In common with a handful of other breeds -- and therefore perhaps it's a genetic issue–the breed as a whole does not seem to have any shut off point for eating food once they hit adulthood and with rare exceptions, they easily become overweight and should never be left to free feed or to eat as much as they want. :roll:

JessieAndMe
4th November 2011, 11:33 PM
[/URL]I meant more the actual size, rather than the standard set by the various clubs and organisations.
The standards as set by the various bodies are rather consistent, but seem fairly outdated in comparison to the average
size of your general 'family pet' of the breed.
Those standards read more like show dog requirements. Would be interesting to see how many furry buddies here are within the
'standards', and where they are from.

[URL="http://www.cavaliertalk.com/forums/member.php?2366-dozyrosy"]dozyrosy (http://www.cavaliertalk.com/forums/member.php?2366-dozyrosy), do you have any photos of your big beautiful boy? :l*v: Would love to see him.

Chauncy
4th November 2011, 11:34 PM
Oh boy, I just joined and I love this site already! I believe that as owners and breeders are going to be my best bet for information compared to reading books and online articles. Thank you very much for sharing what you know with me. I appreciate it so, so much.

I will remember that much like a goldfish, adult Cavaliers will just eat as long as food is kept out, so I'll be extra diligent about feeding times and taking the food away (if any is left) promptly. Thank you so much Karlin! :o

The link posted at the very start of this thread, which goes to a post here on the board, isn't an online calculator but the advice of a longtime cavalier breeder. :thmbsup: People often want to have some sort of estimate of size, and as she notes very clearly, you really can only make a very broad guess but she gives a rough way of making a prediction and I think most of us have found it is roughly accurate when it comes to puppies we've owned! :)

Cavaliers come in all sorts of sizes. The breed standard is 12 to 18 pounds in the UK and Ireland, and 13 to 18 pounds in the US–generally one or the other in other countries. That said, the standard is primarily the standard for show purposes, and often dogs will be over that size, and some will be undersized (though this is definitely less common). Also many and perhaps most of the males in the show ring seem to be at least a pound or 2 over breed standard and several breeders that I've talked to over time say they would never use males that fall into the lower to middle areas of the breed standard as they think this produces males that are too slight for showing. In other words, it would be very common to find male show dogs over the breed standard. Perhaps time to change the breed standard– it would be pretty unusual to see dogs being shown that are down at the smaller end of the breed standard so maybe it makes more sense for the size to start at 14 or 15 pounds and go up into the low 20s. There is also an ongoing debate about whether breeding for small size creates more health problems. It is known that miniaturizing breeds into toy size creates a range of health issues that are particular to that process.

I've come across plenty of cavaliers that weigh 25 to 30 pounds, and a handful that are even larger than that. A variety of breeds were used to reconstruct the breed way back at the start of the last century, and depending on the line, it is said these include cockers and even springers and that every now and then, some puppies will throw back to those larger sizes. We had a member here with a cavalier that was in the mid to high 30 pound range or maybe even low 40s, and the largest one that I had come in to rescue over the years was probably in the mid-30s–a big boy, but quite fit and a very beautiful blenheim! It has also said that some less reputable breeders and puppy farmers will use a springer to produce larger litter sizes as cavaliers typically have fairly small litters.

As some have noted, perhaps one of the biggest problems owners face is that whatever the healthy size is for a given cavalier, most cavaliers themselves would prefer to be much larger–as in, they would like to eat themselves into obesity! In common with a handful of other breeds -- and therefore perhaps it's a genetic issue–the breed as a whole does not seem to have any shut off point for eating food once they hit adulthood and with rare exceptions, they easily become overweight and should never be left to free feed or to eat as much as they want. :roll:

Karlin
4th November 2011, 11:50 PM
I meant more the actual size, rather than the standard set by the various clubs and organisations.
The standards as set by the various bodies are rather consistent, but seem fairly outdated in comparison to the average
Those standards read more like show dog requirements. Would be interesting to see how many furry buddies here are within the

Well, any cavalier should really fall pretty close to the breed standard with only occasional dogs going well beyond it –that is the guideline for how the breed should appear and it is pretty consistent all around the world for this particular breed :). Any show breeder will consistently produce some dogs that fall over the breed standard, and occasionally some that fall just under–it's simply the law of averages. :)

I have had 5 Cavaliers and all of them were/are within breed standard, from 12 pounds up to 17, but I also ran the Irish cavalier breed rescue for many years, and In that time, rehomed a couple of hundred Cavaliers–a lot of dogs, from all different backgrounds. I would say that at least half were somewhat over breed standard in weight (between 1 to 10 pounds, say. Only a couple were really big boys or girls though!).

lucidity
5th November 2011, 02:46 AM

I find this really interesting... Lyra is an absolute vacuum cleaner when it comes to food. It's hard to train her to do tricks because whenever she smells treats, she goes batshit crazy! Such a change from my Papillon, who refuses to eat anything until he's positively starving. He was always like that--very picky with food and very skinny, especially when he was a puppy and still growing. Many of my Papillon owner friends also have trouble keeping weight on their dogs because they are just so picky with food in general.

The people I know who own Cavaliers and other breeds like Labs and Beagles, on the other hand, have to hide their food really well if they want to avoid their food being stolen, lol.

Reptigirl
5th November 2011, 03:06 AM
I find this really interesting... Lyra is an absolute vacuum cleaner when it comes to food. It's hard to train her to do tricks because whenever she smells treats, she goes batshit crazy!

:lol: My pup was that way. I always had to feed him BEFORE training him. Seemed to take the edge off just a little. He would get so excited over the treat that he could not focus on what he was supposed to do in order to get the treat. Finally I stopped using treats as a reward. He got toys and praise instead. Now that he is 1 1/2 food is still a major issue for him. We have to be very careful even with tiny crumbs on the kitchen floor. It's almost like he has a completely different personality around food.

lucidity
5th November 2011, 04:05 AM
:lol: My pup was that way. I always had to feed him BEFORE training him. Seemed to take the edge off just a little. He would get so excited over the treat that he could not focus on what he was supposed to do in order to get the treat. Finally I stopped using treats as a reward. He got toys and praise instead. Now that he is 1 1/2 food is still a major issue for him. We have to be very careful even with tiny crumbs on the kitchen floor. It's almost like he has a completely different personality around food.

Same thing here! I always train Lyra right after I've fed her breakfast, but she STILL goes crazy. -__-"" Nowadays I wait till she's sleepy and tired, haha. I also tried not using treats and toys instead but she wasn't interested! She's pretty hard to train because she has a really short attention span, and that span gets even shorter when there's food around, lol.

dozyrosy
5th November 2011, 09:30 PM
I meant more the actual size, rather than the standard set by the various clubs and organisations.

I think Karlin's covered this, but what I was trying to put across is that most reputable breeders are endeavouring to produce Cavaliers within the breed standard whether they turn out to be show dogs or not - their aim is to produce dogs that conform, but nature can play tricks... So you should expect to see most Cavaliers within the weight range set down by the standards regardless of where they live. But pet owners will generally end up with the dogs who because of some "fault" will not be close enough to the standard to be shown, and that will include the very big ones.

dozyrosy, do you have any photos of your big beautiful boy? :l*v: Would love to see him.

Barney was my first Cavalier, I got him in 1984 and he was put to sleep in 1995. Most of the pictures I have of him are old photos which I've not scanned in to my PC, but here's one of him sitting in his chair. He was a really bonny boy - he was built short and wide and according to my BIL he had a back "like a side of bacon" and his leg bones were like chunky little tree trunks. He was very definitely not designed to be a dainty lap dog - though that was always his favourite place to be...:lol: :lol:

http://www.cavalierkingcharles.com/Barney/barney_on_his_chair.jpg

Rosemary

Chauncy
5th November 2011, 09:58 PM
Awwww... bless Barney's little heart. That is a very precious photo of him. I'm quite sure you think of him often and that your heart still has very many happy memories of him and his ways.

Not a dainty lapdog, huh? You're funny! I guess though they may not be the size of lapdogs, as the loving Cavaliers that they are, I'm quite sure that they always feel like they are lapdogs any old how. I love how the brown around his eyes look like little goggles. Though I am not as well seasoned as many members here as a Cavalier owner, by the looks of the way the color of the brown is around Barney's eyes, I think that's how Chauncy may look :o when he gets a little older. I have yet to figure out how much of the brown is going to "spread out."

Thank you for sharing the picture of Barney with us Rosemary.

I think Karlin's covered this, but what I was trying to put across is that most reputable breeders are endeavouring to produce Cavaliers within the breed standard whether they turn out to be show dogs or not - their aim is to produce dogs that conform, but nature can play tricks... So you should expect to see most Cavaliers within the weight range set down by the standards regardless of where they live. But pet owners will generally end up with the dogs who because of some "fault" will not be close enough to the standard to be shown, and that will include the very big ones.

Barney was my first Cavalier, I got him in 1984 and he was put to sleep in 1995. Most of the pictures I have of him are old photos which I've not scanned in to my PC, but here's one of him sitting in his chair. He was a really bonny boy - he was built short and wide and according to my BIL he had a back "like a side of bacon" and his leg bones were like chunky little tree trunks. He was very definitely not designed to be a dainty lap dog - though that was always his favourite place to be...:lol: :lol:

http://www.cavalierkingcharles.com/Barney/barney_on_his_chair.jpg

Rosemary