PDA

View Full Version : worried about daisy

dellis
6th November 2011, 03:35 PM
just out walking with the dogs when it became very obivous that daisy was running out of steam, very heavy panting and her tongue was quite purple. we rested her for a few mins and tried to contuine home but after a few steps she just gave up and sat down. we ended up carrying her home and it took ages for her to recover. she would be used to a 3km walk every other day and last time she did it she was pooped too but nothing like today. any ideas or advice as i think its a trip to the vet tomorrow.

Blondiemonster
6th November 2011, 04:14 PM
How distressing... Sorry to hear...
I would say that if her tongue was purple there mustve been an oxygen problem. Has her heart been tested?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sydneys Mom
6th November 2011, 06:41 PM
How distressing... Sorry to hear...
I would say that if her tongue was purple there mustve been an oxygen problem. Has her heart been tested?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree. Does she have a heart problem. I would get to the vet as soon as possible.

Karlin
6th November 2011, 07:10 PM
Definitely an alarming and urgent sign of lack of oxygen. :yikes

I would as others say get her immediately to a vet or at the very least call the emergency vet if your practice has one for advice or UCD vet centre. This is likely a heart problem or she has a serious brachycephalic obstruction problem and absolutely should not be walked long distances or at all until this is thoroughly checked out.

Please let us know what you hear. I would keep her very calm and do not let her run around or get overexcited until you can get her to a vet.

BrooklynMom
7th November 2011, 08:12 AM
Sorry to hear this...have you gone to the vet? How is she feeling now?

mommytoClaire
7th November 2011, 02:28 PM
My reaction was the same as the others, the heart, and hoping you have her in today as the issue sounds like it needs to be addressed ASAP. Let us know how it goes.

dellis
7th November 2011, 03:22 PM
back from the vet. likely to be excess of soft tissue around the larynx or potential larynx collapse and now waiting to see if ucd will take her in as an emergency to to the investigation and hopfully some op to help her, othewise it will be the 28th of this month. she is on steoids to help and as karlin said last night absolute quiet and no excitement or exercise. she is in good form but gasping doing ordinary things like jumping up or down off the sofa. awful news but i cannot allow myself anything only positive thoughts until she goes to ucd. fingers crossed

ashleighelizabeth
7th November 2011, 03:40 PM
Sending positive thoughts and hugs. :hug:

lindylou
7th November 2011, 04:03 PM
sorry to hear about daisy hope she will be ok give her a kiss and a cuddle from me and louie

Sydneys Mom
7th November 2011, 04:11 PM
Sorry to hear this about Daisy. Hpoe you can get the treatment sooner rather than later.

dellis
7th November 2011, 04:54 PM
well thankfully daisy is going to be assessed on wed morning and maybe a procedure on thursday. fingers crossed.

JessieAndMe
7th November 2011, 05:27 PM
So sorry to hear about your little darling girl.
Sending hugs Daisy's way.

sins
7th November 2011, 05:54 PM
Good to hear you have such a quick appointment.
Best of luck with her and I hope they can get her on the road to recovery quickly.
What a dreadful shock for you.
Sins

Karlin
7th November 2011, 06:43 PM
Please let us know how she gets on and what they think. :flwr: There's more info on the condition at Rod's site here: http://cavalierhealth.org/brachycephalic.htm

Margaret C
7th November 2011, 07:15 PM
:xfngr: Good luck to your little girl. I hope they manage to sort out her problem soon.

dellis
9th November 2011, 10:14 PM
daisy had her visit to ucd today and will have a general anaesthetic tomorrow at nine am as she has either a soft palate which can be treated and is the best case scenario or else she has a collasping larynx which is the worst case. either way the coming round and the first 24 hours after the anaesthetic are risky. positive thoughts and prayers please. i just want my dog back.

sins
9th November 2011, 10:37 PM
I can imagine how worried you are right now.
Sending best wishes for a successful surgery and a speedy recovery.
It's so good that this is being dealt with so swiftly.
Sins

ashleighelizabeth
9th November 2011, 11:57 PM
Sending lots of prayers and love :lotsaluv:

Sydneys Mom
10th November 2011, 12:11 AM
Hoping all goes well for Daisy. Sending lots of positive thoughts and prayers to you for Daisy's speedy recovery and hoping she is back in your lap real soon.

Desrae
10th November 2011, 12:22 AM
thinking of you guys and praying and sending positive healing vibes your way:hug:

lucidity
10th November 2011, 02:55 AM
Hope Daisy gets out of surgery safe and that her recovery is speedy and smooth! Fingers crossed.

BrooklynMom
10th November 2011, 08:18 AM
Thinking and praying for Daisy.

Brian M
10th November 2011, 08:54 AM
Hi

Any news on Daisy .

Nicki
10th November 2011, 09:05 AM
Thinking of you today, so hoping for the best case scenario and a good recovery.

susandavis1
10th November 2011, 10:46 AM
Sending positive thoughts to you and Daisy today :flwr:

Sabby
10th November 2011, 11:40 AM
Thinking of you and Daisy. Praying for a good outcome and a speedy recovery.

Charlifarley
10th November 2011, 12:16 PM
I hope everything goes well for Daisy today and that she makes a speedy recovery. Thinking of you both and keeping everything crossed for her. :xfngr:

dellis
10th November 2011, 07:05 PM
thank you to everyone for all the good wishes,
daisy had successful soft palate surgery today and came around ok, her trachea is collasping as they thought which is not great. hopefully she will get through the next 24 hours and i will get some more information tomorrow.
i cannot put any thougts into words at the moment.

Kathleen
11th November 2011, 06:41 AM
Thinking of you and Daisy. Hope she makes a full recovery.x

Karlin
11th November 2011, 10:35 AM
Thinking of you–Cavaliers can be tough little dogs, and fingers crossed she will come through all of this just fine. They have a way of surprising us!

dellis
11th November 2011, 07:21 PM
daisy is home! she recovered well and had no swelling or other complications. along with the soft palate trimming she also had her nostrils enlarged/opened/widened to help her get more air, so from now on life will be just what she can manage to do until it becomes a quality of life issue. she is to be kept quiet for a couple of weeks and has to have wet food and no more collar only a harness.
i am so happy just to have her home and i thank you all for caring. x

sins
11th November 2011, 07:59 PM
So glad to hear it. Isn't it incredible how it could just come on so suddenly?
Well done to the crew at UCD for doing such a good job so quickly.Get well soon Daisy.
Sins

Sydneys Mom
11th November 2011, 08:42 PM
So happy for you. Continued good wishes for Daisy's speedy recovery.

Desrae
11th November 2011, 08:43 PM
That's great news! Phew!

Margaret C
11th November 2011, 10:31 PM
Wonderful news. What a great little girl you have there.

anniemac
11th November 2011, 11:14 PM
Wonderful news! So glad she is home

Kathleen
12th November 2011, 05:50 AM
Great news!! So glad she's home.