• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Getting my pup on Sunday!

Not here! People can call them any abbreviation they like. :D And welcome to Cavaliertalk, Catamont!

What is the issue about a simple abbreviation though? And is that really the only reply that came to mind?

Over the years, I have seen again and again that this particular *miniscule* issue of shortening the breed name to Cav or Cavvie is a special obsession for countless cavalier breeders in particular, who at this time of serious health and perhaps irreparable crisis in the breed would be better focused on educating pet owners and puppy buyers on breed health, resources, and puppy care rather than on whether some people like to shorten a very long breed name (that many already confuse with another breed), into something they find easier and friendlier.

Talk about rearranging the deck chairs on the titanic. :sl*p: So many other things are so crucial right now for breeders to pay attention to, than whether pet owners when talking to each other (as this is a PET OWNER board... icon_nwunsure) want to use 3, 2 or 1 syllable for the breed name.

As for the original question (y): the first thing and most important to know before you collect your puppy is whether you have chosen a responsible breeder. Did the breeder discuss thre serious breed health issues -- which most of us will encounter as they are endemic in the breed -- of mitral valve disease and syringomyelia, and discuss what tests they have done on their breeding stock to help limit the chances your puppy will have problems as an adult with them (eg clear recent heart certs from a a cardiologist for both parents at minimum and ideally, info on grandparents at age 5; also, MRI certs for syringomyelia? Eye tests? Hip scores? Patellas?). Is the dog registered to a recognised national kennel club registry? Were you given a 5 generation pedigree? All these things are top priorities unless you are taking in a rescue dog.

As to the next priority: so many things!! :) A happy welcoming home with a place for your puppy to feel safe (eg a pen and crate to retreat from too much activity), a training plan, an awareness that you should never scold or use physical punishment, some nice toys, a camera at the ready for those pics you will want to post for us :D -- I know others will add more.

In the training section I have pinned some great links to trainer sites that have loads of advice on puppies. Also be sure to download these free books: Before You Get Your Puppy and After You Get Your Puppy, here as BOTH will be a mine of info and answers for you!

http://www.dogstardaily.com/free-downloads

As for the original question (y): the first thing and most important to know before you collect your puppy is whether you have chosen a responsible breeder. Did the breeder discuss the serious breed health issues -- which most of us will encounter as they are endemic in the breed -- of mitral valve disease and syringomyelia, and discuss what tests they have done on their breeding stock to help limit the chances your puppy will have problems as an adult with them (eg clear recent heart certs from a a cardiologist for both parents at minimum and ideally, info on grandparents at age 5; also, MRI certs for syringomyelia? Eye tests? Hip scores? Patellas?). Is the dog registered to a recognised national kennel club registry? Were you given a 5 generation pedigree? All these things are top priorities unless you are taking in a rescue dog.

Agree with Karlin. The 3 most important things I would recommend would be:

1st you should know is all the heath issues that affect the breed. Sadly, this wonderful breed is riddled with heath issues. Hopefully your breeder was upfront with you on the issues and has all the necessary testing done. Minimal would be heart, eye, hip and patella CURRENT testing certificates. They are fairly common tests and relatively inexpensive for breeders. Personally knowing what I know now and owning 3 affected dogs I would never purchase a puppy from a breeder who did not MRI scan. It can be a bit challenging finding a breeder who MRI scans but the reward is well worth the wait.

2nd I would be looking into a good pet insurance company that covers genetic/inherited conditions ASAP. Not all dogs will need the insurance right away and some very lucky dogs may not need it for a very long time but the security of it can be such a relief. Our puppy cost us $3,000 in medical bills within his 1st 6 months of life due to CM/SM. My 5 year old rescued girl required over $3,000 in testing due to heart troubles in only 1 month. She also requires testing every few months that costs $300. My 5 year old boy costs us over $3,000 this year due to SM alone. (He also has the beginning of heart troubles) These costs don't even count the monthly medications. I am a very firm believer of pet insurance. A good insurance also covers accidents (eating things they shouldn't, getting injured, ear infections, allergies, and lots of unforeseen accidents) If you are in the USA Pet Plan has reasonable plans.

3rd Enjoy your puppy! It's easy to get all caught up in heath issues. I see a lot of owners worrying about every scratch turning into SM. Be aware of the heath issues but don't let them consume you. Be prepared and educated but make sure to enjoy the puppy years. They fly by so fast!

Not here! People can call them any abbreviation they like...

Over the years, I have seen again and again that this particular *miniscule* issue of shortening the breed name to Cav or Cavvie is a special obsession for countless cavalier breeders in particular, who at this time of serious health and perhaps irreparable crisis in the breed would be better focused on educating pet owners and puppy buyers on breed health, resources, and puppy care rather than on whether some people like to shorten a very long breed name (that many already confuse with another breed), into something they find easier and friendlier.

Talk about rearranging the deck chairs on the titanic
clapping.gif
Totally agree. I can understand how breeders like to use the breeds 'official' name, but the everyday
pet owner, like myself, probably does shorten it. I don't think it matters either way.
As Reptigirl said, enjoy your new family member, and would love to see a photo when you bring him or her home.

Exellent advice from Karlin but a very important thing to remember is.....
Never step backwards with out looking behind you. Cavaliers or cavs if you like are velcro dogs :biggrin:

I just know the little chap will be behind you most of the time.....Enjoy

We find this, especially with our younger one, you think they are snoring sound asleep and you get up and they are out through the door before you are, also my younger one has the habit of running straight in front of you and you go nearly flying over. Enjoy your pup, they grow up quickly, I bet you can`t wait for Sunday to arrive.

... Never step backwards with out looking behind you. Cavaliers or cavs if you like are velcro dogs :biggrin:

I just know the little chap will be behind you most of the time.....Enjoy

Try the "puppy shuffle". When you walk, move your feet very close to the floor, and don't lift them high enough to come down on even a tail.

Just wanted to add a good luck and hope everything goes well :)

And agree with the puppy shuffle, never feel more guilty than when I step on a paw or tail!

Back