• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Diarrhea...

denali

I know, charming isn't it?
But we have been having a little problem lately.

Kokoda got QUITE sick last week and the poor little thing had a really nasty bout of diarrhea. It was a bit like poor Brooklyn not that long ago.
I have never had a dog get this sick in the stomach.

We were in the car when it first struck, he was in his crate and was whining i just thought he was excited to be in the car, but then i smelt it... we pulled over and the poor thing had it everywhere all over his crate and him :yuk:. So I found some baby wipes in the car and used the remaining wipes, thank god they were there! (Now i think about it i need to get some more! You never know when you'll need them) And i cleaned him up and took him home.

I had to put all his blankets into the wash and I had to wash him. I didn't feed him, but he still drank which was why i thought he'd be fine in the morning. He wasn't. i called the vet and she just said to watch hima nd to bring him in if it gets worse. It didn't get worse, but it didn't get better either..

So he had really bad diarrhea for 3 days but was still drinking, and happy to eat, we just fed him tiny amounts of white rice and chicken. On the third day he wasn't even looking sick, he was much better than on the other two.

And then after that he was fine. I was feeding him pasta, rice and chicken. With a weetbix in the morning as well, as one of my friends said it helped her dog. He got better and I walked outsidfe and his poop was solid (yay!) so I started switching him back to his normal food. And now, today, 3 days of being on his normal food it has started again!

Though definitely nowhere near as bad, i just walked outside and saw a few runny bits on the lawn. I have no idea what could be causing it. I originally thought treats, but he hasn't had any of them lately, and then I thought maybe the cat biscuits? But we had the cat niscuits on the table so he couldn't reach them for 2 of the 3 days he had it. Do you think this could still be it?

He is 9 months old (almost 10!) and eats a raw diet and has been doing so successfully for about 2 months now. (meat patties, bones and ziwipeak)
We don't feed him from the table, so No one has given him anything he shouldn't have eaten.

Also, the other thing, is that he has had a lot of wind lately, and it doesn't smell too good either!
And he knows it! So does anyone have any experience with charcoal tablets or something else with a similar effect?

I am hoping you guys have some suggestions and that i haven't forgotten anything!

Oh no! Poor Kokoda!!! Been there done that last month as you remember. Poor babies, it gets all over their long pretty coats :( He was probably so embarassed, bless his heart.

I don't have any advice really...but a few questions, you said you have been feeding him the same thing for the past 2 months, but have you bought a new bag recently? Or a new box of meat patties? Could those have gone off somehow?
When you say that you started switching him back to his "normal" food...what did you switch back to? Ziwi Peak, Patties or both? Check the date on both (Ziwi-Peaks is on the bottom left corner of the back of the bag I think).

Hummm, when was the last time he had a bone? Could that have been bad? Sometime raw Chicken can do it.

Hugs to Kokoda!!!!!

Poor little guy. It's horrible when their tummy is not feeling well.
Without being any sot of expert about anything, I'd be assuming it might be his normal diet, as he improved and recovered with
the rice and chicken. The excess highly fragrant wind is usually caused by diet, or eating too quickly I've heard, could also be not digesting
his food properly.

What were you feeding him before you started the raw food diet? How as he doing on that?

My vet recommended 24 hours without food (but water is OK) just to settle things down. Then rice and boiled chicken or hamburger for a while. You may have to introduce the regular diet more gradually.

I keep Tylan powder on hand for times like this. Just a pinch and it typically clears the D right up. I got mine from my vet- ask your vet about it.

Don't rule out the cat treats if he got even one after clearing up and before the relapse. I've become brutally aware that our Sophie can NOT ingest anything "ostrich" or she gets horrendous diarrhea. Her first encounter with ostrich was eighteen months ago and she hasn't had any since, until two weeks ago. Diarrhea galore! I think I'll remember this time, after her awful accident on our new carpeting.

Check the ingredients of the cat treats. There might be any little ingredient that is causing trouble for your Kokoda.

Back