• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Rosie Occasionaly Wets In Her Crate At Night

Brian M

Hi

Dawn has told me that a couple of times a week lately Rosie's pillow has
been damp .She sleeps in her own crate like they all so and have on the floor
Vetmat Gold then a sheepskin rug on top then a pillow on top of that for comfort ,we do take
them out last thing at night normally about 11.15 and Dawn is up at 6.00 am
and lets them all out before they join me for an hour before I get up for work .
Any ideas why she has started doing this of late ,I plan on taking her pillow out
and poss her sheepskin but that makes me feel bad for doing it so any help
or thoughts greatly appreciated .

Hi Brian

Has she any accidents during the day? She might caught a cold and got something like cystitis? She would be peeing a lot more if she would have that.

One another note, my dogs especially the two with SM would be far too hot with pillows and sheepskins. They sleep on top of my duvet and most of the time they go to sleep on the floor especially now the heating is on.

I would get a urine sample. When Rylie did this he had a UTI. If that's what it is antibiotics will fix her up and if not then you can look further.

Would get her in right away to check for a UTI as they can develop into kidney infections, which are more serious and uncomfortable.

Nicki knows more on this but some dogs with CM/SM become somewhat incontinent -- she has had this happen with a couple of her dogs.

Also -- would smell the pillow to be sure it is urine; Jaspar likes to sit on pillows and lick them -- they can end up quite damp. That said dog urine is less smelly than cats so can be harder to tell.

Tks Ladies

Would never has guessed at that ,vet appointment
made for 9.10 in morning nothing available tonight.

Tks Ladies

Would never has guessed at that ,vet appointment
made for 9.10 in morning nothing available tonight.

Hello Brian,

You may already know this but it will probably save delay in getting a diagnosis if you take a urine sample with you in a clean bottle. Sterilise it as well as you can with boiling water.

My vet sells a shallow plastic scoop that has a specimen bottle as the handle, very easy if you catch the sufferer when they first go out in the morning, but a kitchen ladle of some sort will do as the vet will only need a small amount for his tests.

I hope Rosie soon gets sorted.

Yes need to check for urine infection first, but she would be peeing more during the day too, sometimes licking at the vaginal area too - if you feel her belly, does it feel warmer than usual? Can be a sign of running a temperature.

Sometimes they can become incontinent as a result of spaying - doesn't always start immediately, can be a few years later. This is easily treatable with a preparation from the vets [although this generally has to be lifelong]

It would be sensible to check where she has been lying during the day to see if that is damp.

You can also sniff the hair around the vagina, usually there will be a smell of urine in that area if they are dribbling urine. If so give her a gentle sponge bath and dry with a soft towel to stop the area becoming sore.

I think that bedding would be far too hot especially for a Cavalier with Syringomyelia. I would put a thickish towel in the crate, with the vetbed on top. Vetbed is good as the liquid drains towards the backing so she won't be lying on a damp area.

Sadly the other option is the Syringomyelia. Karlin is right, I have had this with two of my boys. Both Rupert and Teddy would wake up with a small puddle, they were treated with a homoeopathic preparation made from the conventional medication Propolin [treatment for incontinence]. This solved the problem although they had to remain on it for life, no more puddles :D

We found a frisbee quite helpful to collect urine, get them used to it first, you can slide it underneath them. The device Margaret is talking about is absolutely brilliant!

Ah just found it for sale http://www.myvetmeds.co.uk/uripet-urine-collection-device.htm something that might be worth everyone having in their store cupboard ;) only £3.72 with economy delivery.

Hope you get on well in the morning, will be thinking of you.

Hi

Half time in the Heineken Cup ,found a bottle and a syringe and sterilised them but thought I had a soup ladle somewhere
but cannot find it .Took them all out and tracked Rosie and she settled down for a wee with me six inches way then action and I have a good 1/2 mil .Oh well will follow her at 11 pm and see what happens thentry again at 5.30 in the morning .

Can the Vet diagnose anything without a sample .?She has only been doing this over say two weeks and she is perfect during the day ,makes me feel ashamed I didnt pick this up before I just thought it was the odd accident ,very bad of me .I just groomed them all earlier and was fairly thorough and I couldnt see anything odd but my sense of smell is non existant ,she iseating as normal and doesnt seem to be drinking more and has no effect whatsoever from her CM.She is my little angel .

That's good that you are managing to get samples. You need to get one as fresh as possible to take to the vets - I would be inclined to get one at 5.30am and put it in the fridge [well wrapped!] and then try to get another one before you go...at least you have something in case you can't get the later one.

The vets can do it with a catheter but it's not so nice for the dog.

Really is best to take a sample as that will quickly rule out a few things.

More than a couple of overnight accidents is ALWAYS cause for a vet visit.

Good luck tomorrow Brian, hope you manage to get a sample ok!

6359805495_9ef4b58e1a_b.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

hI

Tks Nicki just ordered two of them things and will get a frisbee and soup ladle tomorrow.What is the homeopathic treatment
for UTI ?
I am learning all the time ,that is good .

hI

Tks Nicki just ordered two of them things and will get a frisbee and soup ladle tomorrow.What is the homoeopathic treatment
for UTI ?
I am learning all the time ,that is good .

Would need to check that, but preferably a trip to an homoeopathic vet would be in order, as homoeopathy takes into account many things, not just the symptoms you are seeing.

Nalu's is almost finished with her 2 week antibiotic treatment for a bladder infection and still doesn't seem to make it through the night unless she gets at least one walk. With a walk she can sleep nine hours straight. Without a walk I have to get up during the night to take her outside, but at least it's only once now. It's quite easy to put a small plastic tupperware beneath her to collect, and then transfer it to a jar if necessary.

My Rosie was having accidents in her crate a while back, and when I would take her out to potty, she wouldn't go. She was also licking at her vulva area quite a bit. Turns out that she had a yeast infection. She was put on some anti-fungal pills and is fine now and pottying outside like normal. You can also use a paper plate slid under her to catch the urine and transfer it into a container. They do look at you like you are crazy when you try to catch a sample from them!! :)

Sounds more like spay incontinence than a UTI since the only symptom seems to be slight enuresis (leaking at night during deep sleep). I had an older male lab mix many years ago - male - who had this (obviously "neuter incontinence") and he took phenylpropanolamine daily for the rest of his life, which solved the problem.

One important note - don't ever let any vet catheterize your dog for a urine sample! Easy way to introduce bacteria and actually cause a urinary tract infection, and it's very painful - and you can't get a sterile sample that way so it defeats the purpose. The proper technique to get a sterile urine sample is cystocentesis - which is tapping the bladder directly with a needle through the abdomen. This isn't painful or distressing to the dog like being catheterized, and the vet obtains a perfectly sterile sample. Sterile sample is used for a culture and sensitivity test - free catch or catheterized sample can often be contaminated. Take the dog to the vet with a FULL bladder when getting a cysto.

Pat

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=0+1302+1473&aid=995

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrmEQxUh4YA

Hi

Went outside with them all at 5.30 this morning and managed to catch about 4 1/2 ml so that was an imrovement ,then walks at 8.00 then to the vets .Archie said there was sufficient urine and so did his little test while asking questions, the test read normal so onto a physical exam which again was fine .Suggested possible cystisis so prescribed Noroclav 250 mg with half twice a day for one week then to go back if the problem persists ,he also said he could if needed presribe a tablet which would tighten her muscles down below but its a tablet for life .I am not too happy about taking tablets for anything for myself and wouldn,t really want poor Rosie to have to unless of course it was the last resort ,so will have to do some reading and see what I can find out .Thanks for all your concern and any comments and guidance wellcome .

Back