• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Behavior after Eating

apwerner

About 1/2 the time Forrest is sweet and cuddly. 25% of the time he is normal puppy playful. Then there's the other 25% of the time he is just out of control wild. As soon as he eats he becomes this wild and crazy puppy that can't be controlled. It's pretty predictable, but how do we stop him from running around so much that he makes him self throw up?? I try to hold him, but he just flails his body around until I have to let him go. He wants to hump everything, bite everything...he's just out of control. It's always worse at his night feeding. Then, about an hour later he's back to being sweet. Is this normal? Should I worry about it? Anyone else with a similar experience?

Jessie does exactly the same thing, mainly after his dinner in the evening.
He'll go totally nuts for around 15 minutes, running from one end of the house to the other and attacking his toys.
I figure it's excess energy he needs to burn that he's stored up, usually shortly after, he's ready for bed and dozes off.

Similar behavior

About 1/2 the time Forrest is sweet and cuddly. 25% of the time he is normal puppy playful. Then there's the other 25% of the time he is just out of control wild. As soon as he eats he becomes this wild and crazy puppy that can't be controlled. It's pretty predictable, but how do we stop him from running around so much that he makes him self throw up?? I try to hold him, but he just flails his body around until I have to let him go. He wants to hump everything, bite everything...he's just out of control. It's always worse at his night feeding. Then, about an hour later he's back to being sweet. Is this normal? Should I worry about it? Anyone else with a similar experience?
Mine will go around an ottoman and wipe his mouth until I stop him. He does that every time he finishes eating. He is now 3 years old and still does it.

Thank you both for the responses. Makes me feel much better! Was worried we were doing something wrong. Good to know it's pretty normal. Thanks!

Sonny does this too. It's his crazy hour. From what I have heard it's pretty normal puppy behavior. :) We give him all of his food in his Busy Buddy Mushroom now which slows down his eating and also makes him exert some energy. He definitely still has some crazy time after dinner, but we have found that the treat dispenser helps alot! I included a link of what the Busy Buddy Mushroom is. :)

https://www.premier.com/View.aspx?page=dogs/products/toys/busybuddy/magicmushroomtoys/description

We also play fetch with him a lot after dinner to try to run through some of that energy. When he was a puppy he wouldn't play fetch, but an alternative is playing what our trainer called a game of relay which is where we would go outside and my husband and I would each stand on one side of the yard and have kernels of food and call his name and say "here" and then give him a kernel when he would come. This way we got to practice the "here" command AND we got to run off some of his energy.

I constantly have people at the pet store or at the park comment to me how great cavaliers are and what CALM dogs they are. I always just smile to myself because they are the BEST dogs, but I would definitely not describe Sonny as calm. He has lots of fun puppy energy.:jmp:

Bailey is 16 weeks old and does the same thing at least once a day. We call it the hurricane!

Since you mentioned that it happens with Forrest after he eats, though, I wanted to ask about when you take him out to potty after meals. The reason I ask is because Bailey kinda does the same thing when he has to go out to poo -- especially the mouthiness and humping. His pre-potty behavior is very similar to his hurricane and it took us a few weeks to pick up on the subtle difference between the two. While a daily crazy or two is completely normal (and can even be quite funny), I just thought I'd bring this up as a possibility too.

Cheers!

With the humping, our little guy likes to dominate his plush monkey when he's really excite on one of his crazy runs
dntknw.gif

Lately it's turned from his normal puppy humping, to, I'm having a sexy time with my monkey, humping.

He's being desexed tomorrow.
Does Forrest try to get fresh with his toys, or is it just, I'm excited and I'll hump anything I can? :lol:

If you're worried about him throwing up because of the running (Lyra does this sometimes too, but it's always water, not food), you could bring him out for a walk after mealtime. A nice brisk walk should work, so instead of him going crazy at home, he can use that energy sniffing things/checking new things out while on the walk. I find that this helps my dogs a LOT. They're always VERY excited and hyper when I come home from work, so I bring them out for a walk right when I get home and it always helps them calm down a little in time for dinner.

Portia-we take him out immediately after finishing a meal. You're so spot on about the hurricane behavior being the same as needing to go to the bathroom behavior because I experienced that just tonight! He did the normal crazy puppy stuff after his meal and when I took him out he only went potty. If he has to do more he will try and stay outside, but if he is done he runs up the stairs himself, which he did. He started acting a little more rowdy than normal (which I've noticed is sometimes a call for attention to go #2) so I take him outside. I gave him about 20 minutes of running around the yard (leashed) and he never even acted like he needed to go...no ground sniffing. Nothing. When we got inside he was crazzzzzy. So, I go to grab a treat to get his attention and see if I could reel him in, and while I was getting it he went #2 on the dining room rug (his fave) a lot. Even after that he was still pretty wild, but I'm guessing the extra craziness had to do with needing to go!

Jessie-Forrest used to hump anything he could maneuver in his favor. He really liked arms and legs for a day or two when it first started. So, I was at the store and saw a stuffed dog that looked a lot like a cavalier and was just a bit bigger than Forrest and looked totally safe. I brought it home, set it down and not even a minute later Forrest had mounted the stuffed puppy (correctly) and was going to town...it was pretty comical. So, it's really just the dog he humps and the edge of his bed that is curved up.

Lucidity-I sooo wish we could go on walks. He just turned 12 weeks, so we are just now able to take him on walks according the to the vet. We have tried twice since Sunday and both times have been complete failures and we haven't gotten past our yard. He just wants to be in our yard so bad. I swear we must have buried treasure in our front yard, because Forrest sniffs out the same few spots everytime we're out there and is just obsessed with them (he doesn't potty on these spots, just tries to dig at them). Hopefully, going on walks will become easier and we'll be able to keep him from running/rolling around and puking up his dinner!

Thanks so much for all of the advice/tips! Helps a ton!! This little guy who is snoring next to me says thank you too :)
63a93edc-a735-9f20.jpg

Back