• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Please read if you are in the UK

lance

Please warn all dog walkers that there is a distemper out break .
It is in south Yorkshire,north Nottinghamshire ,wRwickshire,south Stafford and parts of the southern and eastern England .It has now reached Derby where 17 ferrets have had to be pts
This information has come from a person who is on the Scottish Kennel Club board so it is accurate information .
Please make sure your dogs are protected either conventionally or with homeopathy ,distemper is a vile horrid disease . :(

Thank you for the warning.

There's nothing on the RCVS or Kennel Club websites yet...but this is being spread across many forums across the Internet, it is good that people are being made aware.

Signs and Symptoms of Canine Distemper.

When a dog contracts canine distemper the virus will first invade the tonsils and lymph nodes. The virus will remain in this area for approximately seven days while it multiplies itself.

The infection will then infiltrate the respiratory, gastrointestinal, urogenital, and the nervous system.

Early onset of distemper will present itself as a high fever, over 102 degrees Fahrenheit or 39 degrees Celsius, red, irritated eyes, and a thin, watery discharge from the eyes and nose.

As the infection continues a dog will become lethargic and anorexic, as a result of lack of appetite.

Additional symptoms include a persistent cough, diarrhea, and vomiting.

As this disease progresses, other systems in the body will be attacked by the virus, especially the nervous system.

A dog will begin to experience seizures, paralysis, and neurological fits. In some strands of this virus, an infected dog will experience abnormally, large and thickened pads of the foot.

It is very unusual to have an outbreak of distemper - widespread vaccination had almost eradicated it. I wonder if people are skipping their dog's boosters, or not vaccinating puppies, in an effort to save money?

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Worrying though, isn't it?
Thankfully my "big" two are up to date with their boosters, and little Rosie has had her puppy vaccinations now.
Do you think people using the homeopathic method aren't getting puppy vaccs done? I've spoken to a couple of homeopathic vets and they reccomended conventional vaccinations for puppies and the first booster at 1 yr old, then homeopathic nosodes after that.

I suspect it is more likely that due to the current economic climate, people are not vaccinating their dogs NOR giving nosodes. It would be a very small percentage of the population who use nosodes anyway, sadly the anti homoeopathic lobby will be quick to blame them for any outbreak :(

In the US it is still common in rescues, shelters and pet shops.

Back