PDA

View Full Version : Abbey

linderbelle
3rd January 2012, 11:01 PM
Abbey 1/24/2004 - 1/3/2012 RIP my dear princess. I love/loved you more than you will ever know and I know we did the right thing. I only pray you know we did. You are pain free from this very ugly disease. I am so dang lucky God chose you for us. I don't know how I will manage without our nightly butt rubbs and your sweetness. The pain is unbearable right now.

Sydneys Mom
3rd January 2012, 11:47 PM
I am so sorry. I've been thinking of you and Abbey all day hoping for a miracle. Now I can't stop crying.

ashleighelizabeth
3rd January 2012, 11:59 PM
Rest in peace dear Abbey. Sending lots of love and prayers to you and your family.

Jasperxxgabby
4th January 2012, 12:00 AM
I am so, so truly sorry to hear about Abbey, you have my most sincere condolences, it is just heartbreaking, you have done the kindest thing which shows just how much you love Abbey, keeping you and your family in my thoughts.

RIP precious Abbey *ng*l

linderbelle
4th January 2012, 12:04 AM
Anne that would mean the world to me. I know many people contact me through her blog and even today at the vets they all came in and said we were family. Abbey has helped spread the word on sm and taught our vet about it. He had never heard of it until 3 years ago. I don't know what Abbey meant to you but I'd love to hear it. I'm going to update Abbey's blog in the next month with more pictures and what she meant to me and talk about positive and not all the negative of sm. She had such a will to live and anybody that met her just loved her.

Thank you all for the support. This has been one of the hardest decisions I have ever made in my life.

Linda

Sabby
4th January 2012, 12:20 AM
I am crying right now reading this. Run free Abbey.

lovecavaliers
4th January 2012, 03:48 AM
Linda, I am so sorry for the loss of your sweet Abbey. I remember reading your blog on her symptoms and surgery when I was frantically searching the web for information on this horrific disease . I can't tell you what comfort it brought me to know I was not alone. She was a beautiful girl and I can't fathom the pain you are feeling at this moment. Please find some solace in knowing you did the kindest thing for her by letting her go at this time.
Your precious angel will always be with you in spirit. May she run pain free and strong, waiting for you at the rainbow bridge.
My deepest sympathies.

Kathleen
4th January 2012, 04:37 AM
A 'SPECIAL PLACE'
You have a special place Dear Lord
that I know you'll always keep
A special place reserved for dogs
when they quietly fall asleep
With large and airy kennels
and a yard for hiding bones
With maybe a little babbling creek
that chatters over stones.
With wide green fields and flowers
for those who never knew
about running freely under
Your sky of perfect blue.
Lord,I know You keep this Special Place
And so to you I Pray,
For one Special Cavalier
Who quietly died today
She was full of strength & love
and so very, very wise.
The puppy look she once had
Had long since left her eyes.
She is dearly missed my Lord
By a friend of mine.
She went to join her family
In Your land that is Devine
So, speak to Abbey softly please
And give her a warm hello.
She's a Special gift to you Dear Lord
From her mammy, who loved her so.

Run free sweet Abbey. xxx

JessieAndMe
4th January 2012, 08:00 AM
I am truly sorry for your loss, she was a beautiful girl who was blessed with a loving home.

linderbelle
4th January 2012, 10:32 AM
It hurts so much and I look around and she's not anywhere and of course the tears are already flowing. My eyes are so swollen. Don't know how I can go to work but I have to and if I sat home I'd cry all day. Will at times at work too I'm sure. I miss her so much.

Kate H
4th January 2012, 10:45 AM
I was too busy yesterday (and then too tired after a community party!) to come online, but I'm thinking of you both. I hope George has accepted that it was the best thing to do. Lots of :hug:

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Sandrac
4th January 2012, 11:51 AM
Linda,
You had the courage to let Abbey go to the bridge. I remember reading her blog avidly when my Minnie was first diagnosed and it was such a help to me.
Although we did not know Abbey personally your descriptions and blog entries brought her into all our lives. Thank you for sharing so much of her with us.
She will be fondly remembered by so many of this huge international family of people with SM affected dogs who do so so much to support each other through the good and bad times. Sending you lots of :hug:.

susandavis1
4th January 2012, 12:38 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss Linda. From reading your posts, it's obvious how difficult it was for you to make this hard decision. But your love and dedication for her shines through your posts also. Be gentle to youself while to go through this painful time. Run free sweet Abbey

Karlin
4th January 2012, 12:47 PM
This is heart-breaking -- you and Abbey have been a part of the board for a long time. :( It is always so hard. I know it isn't much comfort but know that many of us have walked this journey and understand what you have been through and know the pain and acute sense of loss. It does ease with time and often it takes retrospect to gradually grow to know this was an act of love and kindness, not abandonment. We can be very hard on ourselves when it is all very recent and raw and we are not yet ready to be less (wrongly) judgmental of ourselves in taking a decision that eases suffering but brings such deep loss.

linderbelle
4th January 2012, 01:18 PM
I know every single person on here loves their dog liked I love Abbey and understands and thats why I came here. Abbey thanks you Karlin for having CT as this site helped me figure out what was wrong with her. Unfortunately, she was 5 before we figured it out. I hope her story continues to help others and I pray to God I never go through this again. I have two other cavaliers and I know one of them has some sort of neuro issue and probably should mri him. There is never a good time to lose a dog but I feel robbed--she didn't even make it to her 8th birthday. She was young--very young. No time would have ever been enough but we were hoping for more. I love this breed and no nothing about breeding but god I hope breeders figure this out soon as this disease is awful.

Love my Cavaliers
4th January 2012, 01:56 PM
Linda, I know only time can bring you and George some peace and healing. Just try to remember that little Abbey that you brought home, that sweet little face and that spunky little spirit, not how she was robbed of it all by SM. You loved her and love her still. Cherish all your memories of her. They'll help you get through this.

Sydneys Mom
4th January 2012, 02:36 PM
I didn't know Abbey very well. I would love to read her blog and learn more about this special little angel. where can I find it.

Lani
4th January 2012, 02:42 PM
I am so sorry for your loss. RIP sweet Abbey.

Charlifarley
4th January 2012, 02:50 PM
Oh Linda I am so sorry to read this and my sympathies go to you and your family. It is heartbreaking the way things turned out for Abbey. SM is such a cruel horrible disease and it is awful that Abbey didn't get a chance to live the long life we hope for all our dogs.
Take care of yourself.
Shirley

linderbelle
4th January 2012, 03:08 PM
http://abbeygeorgelinda.blogspot.com/

Nicki
4th January 2012, 06:41 PM
Keeping you in our thoughts Linda, have been through this too many times and I know how devastating it is to have to make that decision, but as Karlin says, in time you will realise that it was the right thing to do and Abbey is finally at rest and no longer in pain.

I will copy this thread across to the In Memoriam section so that Abbey can be with our other angels.

linderbelle
4th January 2012, 07:05 PM
I see this has been moved to "memoriam". Please wake me up from this bad dream.

Karlin
4th January 2012, 07:16 PM
The part of the thread from the point where you memorialised her, has been moved here. I know there will be many people who will not see a thread in the health sections but will want to offer support and show they care. It would seem sad if thoughts about her and for you remained in a section focused on medicating ill dogs rather than devoted to the dogs themselves. :flwr:

lindylou
4th January 2012, 07:55 PM
hi
so sorry to read of your loss of abbey my eyes are full of tears its heartbreaking when they leave us

Sunna
4th January 2012, 08:24 PM
I am so sorry to hear about your loss :( She was such a beautiful girl, may she rest in peace *ng*l

BIZA
4th January 2012, 08:29 PM
I am so sorry about Abbey and i know exactly how you are feeling as i had to let my Pip go on Xmas day and still cry every day about him everyone assures me it will get easier.You did the right thing for her even if it doesnt feel like it now

dellis
4th January 2012, 08:54 PM
i am so sorry for your loss, its heartbreaking. x

James
4th January 2012, 09:43 PM
I am so sorry to hear of your loss, sincerest condolences

Desrae
4th January 2012, 11:39 PM
I'm so sorry you lost Abbey. Rest in peace Abbey.

SuzRN
5th January 2012, 05:09 AM
I am so sorry you had to make the decision. She is in peace and pain free. You are in my thoughts.

mellie
5th January 2012, 06:30 AM
I am in tears. I was hoping for Abbey to get better and live many more years. I am so sorry you had to make this decision, and understand completely how difficult it was. I dread the day I have to do it with my dogs, and cats again. But know that Abbey is not going to suffer another day, and will thank you for allowing her to go. I go to bed with a heavy heart for you tonight. I will keep you and your husband in my prayers. Thank you for your blog and keeping us all updated on beautiful Abbey. God Bless.

linderbelle
5th January 2012, 10:56 AM
still having a very hard time. Last night was pretty rough --cried all the way home from work and lost it completely when I could at home. Lost it in front of my boss yesterday. I miss her so much. On the way home I almost stopped at the vet to see if she was still there to hold her one more time but I knew that wasn't heallthy. I sure loved that little 4-paw princess.

Karen and Ruby
5th January 2012, 02:03 PM
Oh no no no no no! I've been with out wireless for three days I can't beleive this Linda I'm so unbeleivabley Sorry!

I don't know what to say- I can't really see what i'm writing- I''ve been sobbing for an hour not really knowing what to say or do.

My heart truely breaks for you Linda- you did more than your best for Abbey- she helped so many people in her little life, she wasn't on earth as long as she should have been but look at what she has done in that short time. |All these people saying she helped their dogs out of pain by sharing her story- me included!

She is more than just a dog, she's an angel.

She is at peace now and will run free from pain at the bridge with thousands of Cavaliers as friends and family

RIP Abbey- you were an inspiration to so many and your legacy will live on for many many years to come, goodbye little Princess *ng*l

linderbelle
5th January 2012, 02:55 PM
Oh Karen thank you as I really do feel your caring. Knowing that she helped others helps so much and I know it would her also. I know we did the right thing but I miss her so much and wake up and she's not in our bedroom and when I go to bed I always gave her her nightime cookie and rubbed her butt. Oh how she loved her butt rubbed. I know it will get easier. I don't regret one day with her. When she was a couple weeks old she had a seizure and the breeder (thats what she called herself - I personally have other names for her) and would take her back--you got to be kidding. She was in my heart bad in a hour. She had that way with everybody. She is finally out of pain--no pain--she couldn't tell me in words how this disease hurt and that was so hard on me.

I sure did/do love her.

Linda

I'm probably rambling.

pippa
5th January 2012, 04:59 PM
So sorry Linda:( sending hugs your way. Your darling Abbey will always be in your heart xx

Karen and Ruby
5th January 2012, 05:02 PM
Oh Linda, I can't even imagine how lost you must be feeling and how empty your house must be at the moment. One day I will be able to say I do. But I do spend many nights crying myself to sleep just thinking of my life without Ruby. Like Abbey was to you Ruby is my one soul mate and special one.
We are all thinking of you at this tremendously hard time.

ourempire
5th January 2012, 05:03 PM
I am so sorry for you, Linda. It is horrible to loose, and nothing can replace Abbey. You did the right thing, even though the decission is hard to make, you made it in time for Abbey. Hugs and many thoughts to you.

KCB
5th January 2012, 09:59 PM
Linda, I feel your pain and feel so sorry for you. You have done the right thing and know how hard it was for you. You have always been such a passionate "mother" for Abbey. She was so lucky to have you as her champion. Your posts after her surgery were full of that passion and caring. In time the happy memories will come through. At the moment take care of yourself that is what she would want. These kind animals take very little but give us all so much and teach us so much. Hugs and prayers to you and your family.

anniemac
5th January 2012, 10:08 PM
Linda,

I have been in tears the past two days for you. I will tell the pain will ease with time but Abbey will always have a place in your heart. You may not know me that well but I remember reading Abbey's blog. My Ella had SM and I met up with another Cavalier friend who had also found out that Corey had SM. She talked about Abbey's blog (which I had already read) and about how helpful and how much faith she had. You and Abbey touched many people that you may never know. You have helped many many people and that will live on forever.

This is one poem that I really love:

"I Only Wanted You
They say memories are golden, well maybe that is true.
I never wanted memories, I only wanted you.
A million times I needed you, a million times I cried.
If love alone could have saved you, you never would have died.
In life I loved you dearly, in death I love you still.
In my heart you hold a place no one could ever fill.
If tears could build a stairway and heartache make a lane,
I'd walk the path to heaven and bring you back again.
Our family chain is broken, and nothing seems the same.
But as God calls us one by one, the chain will link again."

I really like this video also and still refer to Angel Ella up in Rainbows Bridge. I lit a candle for you yesterday so Abbey could find the light to the bridge where Ella and all the others were there to greet her and they are running again without having to stop behind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccH7ffwpMuw

linderbelle
6th January 2012, 12:40 AM
oh guys this is soo hard. I miss her so much.

Kim N
6th January 2012, 04:09 PM
Hi Linda, I just wanted to offer my most sincere condolences for the loss of your sweet girl Abby.

RIP sweet girl.

matties mum
6th January 2012, 04:56 PM
so very sorry
Remember Our Love

I was chosen today
I'm learning to fly
the world took me away,
but please don't you cry

And I chose you today
to try and be strong
so please don't you cry
and don't say that I'm gone

When you're feeling alone
just remember our love,
I'm up near the stars
looking down from above.

Remember our love
In a moment you'll see
that I'm still here beside you
when you're thinking of me.

----Aileen

Spangly
6th January 2012, 10:37 PM
Linda, I'm so very sorry.

linderbelle
7th January 2012, 10:08 AM
I'm up at 4:30 and first thoughts of of her and crying ever since. I just miss her.

Karen and Ruby
7th January 2012, 11:47 AM
Oh Linda, we can all feel your pain so vividly x I know how it feels to love your baby so much it hurts and when that is gone it hurts to even breathe x
The loss you feel is beyond words and I pray this gets easier for you with time. Maybe when you get Aabbey back you could have a little memorial for her with the family in the garden or at her favourite place to walk. Take a poem to read or a song or two to play and light some candles for her. Say a few words or plant a tree or rose that stay for a long time that you can look at when you need to. It sounds strange but I've already planned all this for ruby so that I don't forget anything. Songbird by Eva Cassidy is our song and there is a beautiful type of rose called superstar that I want. I've also given all the details to my mum incase I'm in no fit state to take care of anything x
I hope you will find some closure soon Linda x x x

linderbelle
7th January 2012, 03:02 PM
Yes Karen. Vet tried to do autopsy yesterday but was unable to because of the freezing. I sure wish Dr. Shores would have mentioned this before we put her down as he knew we were going to be doing it. Can't change the past. I'm doin a little bit better every day but so many tears every day. We haven't decided what we are going to do with her ashes yet and will be figuring and deciding soon as I'm sure we will get her ashes back by mid-week. Today I need to get some things done and stay busy instead of sitting on CT and crying all day. That will help.

I actually talked to a breeder last night for 2 hours and one that has been recommended to me and she has a dog delivering probably next week so that means puppies in about 9 weeks. I truly do think we will get another one.

I will always miss her.

Crying too hard to type anymore.

Linda

Alana
8th January 2012, 12:40 PM
I am very sorry to hear you have lost your precious angel.

Karen and Ruby
8th January 2012, 09:55 PM
Hi Linda, was reading an article in my magazine today about coping with the loss of a pet and thought i'd re write some of it for you

"Memories are painful, but sometimes pain comes because we try to resist them. We don't want to be reminded, so we put all our energies in to trying to block them out. The trouble with this approach is that you end up focusing on them and then the mind develops a dissonance between the way you want the world to be and the way the world actually is. What you really want is your pet back in your life; in reality your pet has gone. The more you struggle with trying to 'block' the painful memories the more difficult it becomes.

Yet, when faced with any difficult situation in life, when you cannot change a problem, you have to change your attitude towards the problem. This is not always easy, but it is worth trying. While you do not still have your pet with you, you do have some wonderful warm memories from the time you spent together. Try not to resist thinking about these times. Rather, do something pro=active and take control of your mind.
If possible, revisit a place that has special memories for you and your pet, maybe a favorite park or walk. Take a few deep breaths and allow those good memories to flow back. Let the tears flow, tears are healing. Hear your dog beside you barking and feel her beside you enjoying her walks as she always did. Do not resist it, its the resisitance that causes the pain.

The more you process your emotions the easier they become to deal with. Focus on the positives, that you had the opportunity to spend a part of your life with her, and give thanks that you were able to do so. Let her go and allow her to still be a part of your world in a positive way through the memories you have.
She would never want to wish you harm or want you to be in pain- she loved you unconditionally and now it is your turn to forgive her for leaving you."

I dont know if this will help at all Linda but I really hope it does in some little way xxx Thinking of you xx

linderbelle
9th January 2012, 01:48 AM
Oh Karen thank you for posting this--today has been a very hard day---cried alot today--almost looking forward to going back to work tomorrow--the weekend has been too hard--too much time to think and also be able to cry uncontrollably--try hard not to do that at work. I told George today that Abbey would be mad at me to see me like this and she would be telling me exactly what you wrote. I literally have been almost sick--headache although I do feel like I am coming down with something so can't blame it on Abbey. I'm going to bed and that makes me sad as that was the time I gave her her nightly butt rub. I know every day will get easier and I am going to try harder to do and remember the good and forget about the bad. I was so blessed to have her in my life for 7.5 years.

Maybe I'm not reading below right but all I do remember is the good--even her sm bad times is a fog---it's the good I remember and I just plain miss her. I guess what I need to do is let her go and I haven't done that????????

My mind is too fried--been a bad day.

Linda

mommytoClaire
9th January 2012, 10:34 PM
Oh Linda, I am so sorry I haven't been here. And then I just didn't know what to say.

Having had to make that decision for two dogs in the last 13 years, I remember too well how it feels. Especially when they are taken from you ahead of their time. (I've had other dogs but it's been many years on hard decisions)

Everyone has to grieve the way that is best for them. And holding it in won't help in any way at all. Give yourself time to grieve, but also keep yourself busy. I remembered for me, both times there were things I had to do to help me through. For both, it was spending time at a specific time each day to honor their memory....for my Nash, it was spending time on the deck with my Claire and taking his leash and collar with me. Some might think I'm crazy, but it gave me peace. I also put flowers on his grave every other day until there were no flowers left to be able to (I live in Michigan).

She will always have a very special place. And she is still with you because she is planted so firmly in your heart. I'll be thinking of and praying for you these weeks that pass. Hugs to you and the other pup's.

linderbelle
11th January 2012, 02:00 PM
I'm going to honor her by having a painting done of her from a photo and hang in our bedroom as that was a special place every night. Because of her having to get meds around midnight she slept in our room and she was the only one who did and it was our special time together. I'm doing alot better and I'm surprised but I'm remembering the good times. I've been going through pictures which would just make me cry but like Sins I could see when she started going down. Because of her sm she had lost her oomph lets say. We didn't go to parks etc. as she couldn't handle it. She held such a special place in my heart and this was one of the hardest things I have ever done in my life. It took me 2 weeks to decide and when I did I finally saw the reality. I miss her but I'm happy for her that she is finally out of pain and no longer scratches and rubs her head etc. I loved/love her so much.

sins
11th January 2012, 03:23 PM
What a lovely idea Linda.
I went back to the vets today,paid all my bills and walked away feeling ok.No tears,no bad memories.
While driving home I was thinking a lot about how much I loved Daisy and how much love and care she received.Then I realised,I wouldn't have to worry about her being in pain,or feeling anxious looking across at her to see if she was uncomfortable.No more pangs of pity watching her trying to get onto the sofa and clamber up the decking.As much as I loved her,I also felt sorry for her.
When I reached my front door,I said goodbye to Syringomyelia,and to the grip that it had on my home and my life.
I found it strangely liberating and didn't actually feel guilty,because I kept the love and the happy memories.
I think today was real progress...
Sins

linderbelle
11th January 2012, 04:57 PM
I know what you mean Sins in regards to the sm. I couldn't take the dogs to a dog park as I felt it wasn't fair to Abbey as she couldn't handle it. In regards to drugs and every 8 hrs. it was just routine for me. In regards to analyzing her I also have a sense of relief. I never felt sorry for Abbey until the day my best friend told me the truth and it hit home and that was the day we put her down. I left work to spend her last hours with her and picked up the camera and put it back down as I didn't want the memory of how she looked and I had been in denial. I have so many happy memories of her and I'd sure love to have her on my lap. I miss her and I know you miss Daisy.

I'm so glad you're feeling better Sins. I only cried once yesterday which was a real improvement.

paula12
12th January 2012, 11:34 AM
Linda

My thoughts and deepest sympathies are with you during this difficult time. May Abbey run pain free at the rainbow bridge with all our much loved companions.

linderbelle
12th January 2012, 01:27 PM
Not starting out good. Driving to work all I could think of was that her birthday is coming up and why didn't we wait until after her birthday. We certainly would have been able to do so. Then I try to knock sense into me and say she wouldn't know it was her birthday so quit being dumb. I've already cried at work and it's 8:30--glad I'm the one who comes in first so nobody saw me. The two gals that are right by me just don't get it I don't think.

I sure do miss that sweet little princess.

linderbelle
14th January 2012, 11:56 AM
Thinking that it will be Abbey's birthday a week from today and unfortunately she will not be here. Now I'm angry that I didn't wait until after her birthday but then a dog doesn't understand a birthday. I guess what I'm really saying is I wish she was still here for me--the old Abbey that has been gone for awhile. I know now that I have been slowly grieving her death for a very long time. I do miss her and find myself when I'm in my recliner look over to the bed that she liked or if I see sun hitting the floor knowing she would be laying there. I miss coming home and her so happy to see me. I miss when I say the word "pill" for her to go crazy because that meant a pill pocket. I miss getting up in the night and seeing her. I'm doing much better than I thought I would be--it's almost 2 weeks since she left us. That makes me feel guilty too as how can I possibly be doing this good as much as I loved her? I know the other dogs help alot. I remember when I got the last 2 dogs I said I need other cavaliers around when Abbey leaves us and it has helped me alot to hold and love them. I guess I'm writing this almost like a blog. I just plain miss her and always will miss my little "princess"

Margaret C
14th January 2012, 02:30 PM
Linda,
You cannot know that if you waited until after Abbey's birthday that she would not have deteriorated horribly and painfully before that time.

You made the decision when you did because you had her best interests at heart.

You will miss her many times each day simply because she needed so much special attention, but that is also a measure of how different her life had become to that a healthy dog.

It is hard to deal with the guilt that comes with beginning to 'get on with life' without someone or something you love. It can feel terribly disloyal.

She was special, you were lucky to have her and she was lucky to have you. Hug that knowledge to you and allow yourself to go and enjoy your other dogs.

Kate H
14th January 2012, 08:16 PM
I think when a dog has been ill for some time you do a lot of your grieving before he/she actually dies. So don't feel guilty if you don't grieve for her now as long as you think you ought to, but find yourself enjoying your other dogs. You have already done a lot of grieving for the 'old' Abbey, as she was before she got so ill - even if you had delayed releasing her, you still wouldn't have got that younger Abbey back, and perhaps it's that one that you are grieving for now, rather than the older Abbey who you know it was right to release from a failing body.

Kate, Oliver and Abbey

linderbelle
15th January 2012, 01:47 AM
I think you hit it right on the nose Kate. I remember back in June talking to Dr. Shores about her muscle loss and I believe that is when she started to go down and then I had knee replacement surgery but I told a friend today the very same thing--I've been grieving her for a long time. So worried about her. Sometimes I see her laying in her dog bed wth her long tongue hanging out and I mean alot of tongue--not the old cute little bit. Her poor tongue would lay on the floor and it breaks my heart to remember that Abbey but at the same time I've watched a video of her with the other 3 dogs barking and having a good time and wanting a treat. I do miss her so much. Even as handicapped as she was she wasn't really that much work--pills 3 times a day which wasn't a big deal and of course the changing of the non-skid socks which weren't exactly easy to get on but really it wasn't that much work. I am enjoying my dogs. I am grieving that young spunky dog though--watched a video of her a year after surgery and she was so dang good--even 2 years after he surgery she was dang good. Its been the last year going down a bit slowly at first and really down alot these past 6 months. She sure had my heart from day #1. When I get doubts I remember how when I showed her how much love I had for her it didn't phase her anymore. She was truly gone for quite awhile. Now the tears are flowing but tears of missing her.

linderbelle
20th January 2012, 10:48 AM
Tomorrow would have been Abbey's 8th birthday and a co-worker told me that we need to honor her in some way tomorrow. The other night I said to George I wonder why we haven't got her ashes back and he said we have. When I picked Bentley up (when he had a couple teeth pulled) they gave them to me. I said why didn't you tell me. He said I couldn't. :-(. Shows how much a man loves his cavalier also. I don't know if I can do anything with her ashes or not yet and haven't really thought about what to do with them. I don't know what to do to honor her so I'm open to suggestions. It's hard t believe she's been gone for 2.5 weeks now and I think of her everyday and still shed tears here and there but doing pretty good. I know not worrying and dealing with sm is such blessing but she was never extra work in my mind. I don't want to ramble on and on. Just missing her.

Sydneys Mom
20th January 2012, 06:16 PM
How about celebrating that she lived and was loved and happy. Abbey sounds like she was such a little trooper, I don't think she would want you to be sad on her birthday. Maybe go for a walk at one of her favorite places, have cake, get some special treats for your other dogs. Release some balloons into the sky, laugh, have fun and remember the Abbey that enjoyed all those things.

Don't Grieve For Me
Don't grieve for me, for now I'm free; I'm following the path God laid for me.
I took His hand when I heard Him call; I turned my back and left it all.
I could not stay another day, to laugh, to love, to work or play.
Tasks left undone must stay that way; I found that place at the close of day.
If my parting has left a void, then fill it with remembered joy.
A friendship shared, a laugh, a kiss; Ah yes, these things, I too will miss.
Be not burdened with times of sorrow, I wish you the sunshine of tomorrow.
My life's been full, I savored much; good friends, good times, a loved one’s touch.
Perhaps my time seems all too brief; don't lengthen it now with undue grief.
Lift up your heart and share with me,
God wanted me now, He set me free.

mommytoClaire
21st January 2012, 01:24 AM
Oh Linda, it's such a personal thing....for me, I have just had a quiet time of reflection and looking through pictures. And when we lost my non Cav Nash last Summer, his Birthday I made sure I had a very very large bunch of wild flowers to put on his grave.

Don't feel guilty. You have been grieving her, the beautiful sweet healthy Abbey, for a long, long time......

Remember there is no right or wrong way to grieve. Do what is best for you.

linderbelle
21st January 2012, 06:31 PM
Thank you. Today is Abbey's birthhday and she never even made to 8. I know she is having a great birthday though. I have been looking at her pictures and today was an awful today to be outside--even under tornado watch for awhile. Today I caught myself remembering her in the end and then went nope I don't want to remember that Abbey and backed it up to a much prettier picture in my head. I sure do miss her.

sins
21st January 2012, 06:45 PM
It's very hard I know.
Daisy made it to 5 and we have photographs of her day. Looking back on the photographs,I now realise what a sick little girl she was.Passing the birthday milestone didn't really offer us any more comfort or ease the sense of loss at all.
Looking back on earlier photos and videos,these are the happy memories that I cherish.
I still find myself looking around the garden to see where the three are and find it a bit odd to only have two come through the door.
But it was time for both Abbey and Daisy to be set free.
I know Abbey will be very fondly remembered today and we'll all keep her in our thoughts.
Sins

linderbelle
3rd July 2012, 05:50 PM
Thinking of you alot today and wasn't even sure the actual day but knew it was close to 6 months give or take a day or two. I came in here and went figures today is the 6-month mark and funny that Darby is in at the vet getting spayed. Darby is another tri that we have had about 3 months now. I'm doing ok--I still miss Abbey alot and always will and just typing that my eyes get watery. Abbey truly was a very special girl. I hope all that have lost dogs this past year are doing ok. Sins I think about ya.

sins
4th July 2012, 12:39 AM
Hi Linda,
Have been thinking about you and Abbey too this week.
it's been a difficult six months.I'm pleased you have a lovely new addition to the family and hope she brings you every happiness.Holly is well,full of energy and mischief and Ivy is almost all grown up.Abbey and Daisy were two wonderful amazing little cavaliers.I visited the hospital where she was treated recently,with a friend who was having a screening scan done on her cavalier,they remembered her of course..I thought it might be weird, but strangely,it was ok and maybe it's time to move on,if that makes sense.I never expected it to take such a long time to adjust to the loss of a pet,but cavaliers are so very special.
Sins

MomObvious
4th July 2012, 11:59 AM
Linda

You don't know me from Adam, but I wanted to let you know I sat down last night and read your entire blog. I force myslef to read these tragic posts about SM, CM, MVD. I have a cavalier puppy and got him knowing the odds, I want the educate myslef on what to look for and read real stories from dogs and their people living thur this....It reminds me to enjoy every healthy day I have in my life. Please know that your journey with Abbey touched me deeply and I appreciate the blog. I will continue to count my blessings every day I do not see signs of SM in my dog but I like most people on CT will never stop watching. It breaks my heart that our sweet perfect cavaliers are like time bombs, and carry so many awful disorders.

Sending Love,
Melissa

DZee
5th July 2012, 05:13 PM
How about celebrating that she lived and was loved and happy. Abbey sounds like she was such a little trooper, I don't think she would want you to be sad on her birthday. Maybe go for a walk at one of her favorite places, have cake, get some special treats for your other dogs. Release some balloons into the sky, laugh, have fun and remember the Abbey that enjoyed all those things.

Don't Grieve For Me
Don't grieve for me, for now I'm free; I'm following the path God laid for me.
I took His hand when I heard Him call; I turned my back and left it all.
I could not stay another day, to laugh, to love, to work or play.
Tasks left undone must stay that way; I found that place at the close of day.
If my parting has left a void, then fill it with remembered joy.
A friendship shared, a laugh, a kiss; Ah yes, these things, I too will miss.
Be not burdened with times of sorrow, I wish you the sunshine of tomorrow.
My life's been full, I savored much; good friends, good times, a loved one’s touch.
Perhaps my time seems all too brief; don't lengthen it now with undue grief.
Lift up your heart and share with me,
God wanted me now, He set me free.

This is a beautiful poem....

Linda....
I am fairly new to the forum..and you don't know me. I too read through your blog. I have to tell you....couldn't hardly finish as the tears were running down my face. It is heartbreaking what you went thru. Abbey sounded like a very special dog. I would just like to say how sorry I am.
I am glad you now have a new addition to give all your love to though !
Our pup is only 8 months old..and after reading a ton of information here on the forum...the threat of SM scares me.
I am hoping and praying that ours will be the exception to all this...but know to stay aware of any signs that he may be ill.
Lord bless you..and I pray your heart heals. As you said..remember the beautiful Abbey you knew before any of her sickness.

linderbelle
11th July 2012, 01:29 PM
Hi Diane and Melissa. I don't come in here much as just no time. Abbey was very special from day #1--she touched everybody she met and as I type this I find my eyes filling with tears which I haven't shed in awhile. It's hard to believe it's been 6 months since she left us. Thank you for letting me know that you have read her blog and it has helped etc. I read stuff like that and it helps knowing her life and both of us have helped others. That would make her smile. Yes we do have a puppy and she just turned 6 months--her nickname is "trouble" lol. She's a firecracker for sure. I don't get paranoid about sm even though obviously I pray I never see it again. I have 3 cavaliers--2 which are older--one 6 years, one 4 and the puppy. So far so good. In regards to being scared sm is hayull. It's an awful deal. It's so hard to watch what it does. I visualize Abbey at various times and I still get angry--guess I always will. I recently was going through files at work and ran across a video and clicked on it and it was Abbey and it was made to send to her neurologist and was like 6 months before we put her down. It was very hard to watch. I pray for all of you that are dealing with this disease and I know CT helped me so much. There is so much support in here which helped me so much. I am sooooooooooooooo thankful I don't need that support anymore. I know some people talk about how it ties you down in regards to every 8 hrs. meds etc. but I never felt that way. I felt like I had a special needs child and that was just the way it was. Abbey deserved all the care she got.

Sins glad you are doing ok. Life goes on. Yes both of them were special. Cavaliers are special and I know many think I'm crazy for getting another but I have always said I loved this breed.

Thanks for writing. Hormones must be crazy or something as I'm pretty emotional writing this. It means ALOT to read your posts.

Linda & Abbey