• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

New here, this is Aubrey

heyheidi

Hello! My name is Heidi, and this is our new 9 week tri Cav, Aubrey. She has a heart murmur, and was diagnosed with PDA on Monday.

URL]

Your puppy is beautiful, but I'm sorry to hear about her heart problems :( The heart murmur would I think be caused by the PDA, although puppies up to a year old can have an innocent flow murmur [in isolation] which doesn't actually cause them problems.

You don't say where you puppy came from, but if you bought her from a breeder and were NOT aware of these issues prior to purchase, you do need to speak to the breeder. It would be advisable to contact them anyway, ideally in writing to let them know about Aubrey's condition, as it may affect future breeding decisions - PDA is hereditary.

There's info about PDA here http://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/cardiovascular/c_multi_patent_ductus_arteriosus#.TwTAwtXmulU

Depending on the severity Aubrey may require surgery, but this is usually very successful.

Please let us know more about her when you can.

She is a very precious puppy and enjoy her despite her problems.

Hi and icon_welcome I adore the Name Aubrey.
I'm so sorry to hear that she has a heart condition.

She's a beautiful girl, bless her cotton socks. I love those ears!
give_heart.gif

Thank you for helping me post my picture!

I did get Aubrey from a breeder, and the breeder is my mother! So, she won't be breeding her pup Isabella again, and this was her first litter. She also received Isabella from a breeder and plans on going back to her to let her know as well about Aubrey. She's also contacting all of the other buyers from the 4 other puppies.

We went to see a cardiologist for Aubrey this past Monday. She does have PDA and the cardiologist is recommending surgery within the month, if we can get her weight up to 9 lbs (she's 4.2 lbs now).

I have to say, never having a puppy before, this is a LOT of work! I originally wanted to adopt an adult Border Collie, but when this situation arose with my mom and Aubrey, I couldn't turn her away. BUT, potty training, whining at 4am to be let out of her pen, whining in general, and having to hand feed her (one of her quirks that we NEED to get her out of the habit of) is a LOT, and I'm soooo tired and exhausted! Hopefully this doesn't last forever!

BUT, potty training, whining at 4am to be let out of her pen, whining in general, and having to hand feed her (one of her quirks that we NEED to get her out of the habit of) is a LOT, and I'm soooo tired and exhausted! Hopefully this doesn't last forever!

Welcome to the forum! I hear you about the potty training and the 4 am whining! I hope everything goes well with the surgery, please keep us informed.

Hi and welcome to you both! Poor baby girl, she is a sweetie. I look forward to seeing more photos and following her journey.

Hi -- am sorry to hear about Aubrey.

If your mum is breeding -- I hope she will carefully read through some of our puppy buyer guides here as they list the minimum any responsible, caring person should be doing to keep this breed from oblivion (and its survival is increasingly questionable now without a serious outcrossing programme to reconstruct a healthier breed that would also probably look a bit different as many of the health issues are almost certainly linked to aspects of the breed's appearance, such as the shorter snout and oversized eyes). They should also be DNA-tested for dry eye/curly coat syndrome (as puppies with it are euthenised as the condition becomes so painful).

Cavaliers have several very serious and widespread health issues at this point. No cavalier should be bred before age 2.5, and never without a recent cardiologist (not vet) heart clearance and also both parents should be MRId for the widespread neurological problem syringomyelia (which will no affect 70% of cavaliers). Parent dogs should also have eye clearances, hip scores for hip dysplasia and patellas certified OK. Otherwise the puppies are condemned to pass on in much greater numbers many horrible, life-limiting diseases that COULD be limited and even tested if breeders tested responsibly.

Hopefully the mother will now be spayed and your mum is very responsible in returning and telling the breeder. Sadly that will probably make no difference. :( Responsible club breeders generally would not have sold puppies without limitations on whether they could be bred in the first place.

Hi Welcome.She is very cute. I'm glad for her she has you even with her problems she still needs a loving home.
See ya around,
Melissa

Back