• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

How much do you feed your Cav?

Adelya21

How old is your pup or dog and how much do you feed him or her? we feed our 8 month old .5 a cup 2x a day of dry food. if he even eats all of the 1 cup since he is such a tough eater. we call him diet doggy lol.

Hi, I have two tris, Belle- who is 3 and 1/2 and Bobby who is 2 and a bit. Belle was a tough eater when she as a puppy, I started feeding her people food to fatten her up because she was even too thin for her spay, but that changed quick, she got big enough! Then we put her on a diet when she about two because we were feeding her too much. Bobby has alway been a good eater, we call him 'Greedy Gut' lol. He's always been a good weight.
We feed them dry kibble twice a day, just less than 1/2 a cup each time. It looks to be very little, but it is best. In between meals they might get a carrot stick, some apple, banana or a bit of chicken and a dentastix... a couple of biscuits. It's hard to keep Belle at a good weight, she could lose another pound, but she's a natural-born couch potato so she's not very active. Bobby is quite active and fit.

First off, all 3 of mine are couch potatoes lol. Stella is turning 11 years next month, Laverne will be 7 this year and Hazel will be 5. They all get 1/2 c. kibble daily topped with canned food and their supplements (probiotics, salmon oil, coq10). They also get a dental chew of some kind (it varies....may be a lamb ear, Zuke's chew, dentastix, etc.). During the day they might get pieces of kibble and Zuke's minis for treats. Right before bedtime they get a biscuit. It usually is a Fromm biscuit or Newman's Own small heart shaped, or Zuke's or Fruitables biscuits.

It might not sound like much kibble, but remember they do get canned on top of it so that makes up for it. I will also feed premade raw from time to time. I use Primal, Nature's Variety and Steve's Real Food. Their kibble is Fromm 4-Star (both grain free and with grains) and their cans are NV Homestyle or Fromm Gold.

Barney is on a really strict diet at the moment. On Jan 3rd he weighed 12.3kg and today he is 12.1kg so he's lost 200g in 10days, this has taken 1.5-2hrs walking every day (mostly off lead with some on lead heelwork) and only 100g of low calorie kibble which is hand fed thoughout the day as a reward for NOT barking at other dogs!, I'm pretty sure he could live on thin air!! Not sure what 100g equates to in cups though...

I have no idea how he got to that weight, I can only presume he was fed scraps of human food because he is a very very picky eater, he has to be really hungry to eat his kibble.

I've never really understood cup measurements but here goes.
Ruby is 5 and a yo-yo dieter LOL She isnt as active as she used to be due to the SM and is around the 10kg mark at the mo (Id like her to be 9.5kg ish) She gets 65grams of food a day divided in to one or two meals depending on the shifts im on, she gets as much raw veg as she wants and no treats.
Charlie is 8 kg and is very small framed, I keep him on a very strict diet due to his heart issues so gets the same as Ruby.

The bag of food which is Burns says to feed 10grams per kilo of body weight so both mine get way under the recommended amount.

Charlie does approx half hour to an hours more walking that Ruby a day and is far more active in general.

Lucy and Desi are 6 months, we feed them a little over a third of a cup in two bowls twich a day. No matter where we put the bowls they have to eat out of the same one. It's been a long time since we had little dogs, we have always had Goldens and they would eat faster than I could put the bowl down. Cav's are so finicky sometimes they eat everything in both bowls and we give them a little more other times they don't want to eat at all. We really thought there could be something wrong with them but since I have been reading this site I feel much better.

I feed each of my dogs according to how they look. If they look as though they might be getting overweight I deduct 5 grammes from their weighed amount of Royal Canin, but if they start to look a little thinner than they should I add 5 grammes. Just for the record, I feed each their measured main meal as follows:

Holly Poppet, unusually small, spayed but active tri bitch = 68 gms
Bubbles, spayed tri bitch, big boned but couch potato = 85 gms
Winston Alexander, small but very active tri male = 80 gms
Little Joe, big boned Bl boy with hollow legs = 110 gms
Rebel, 9 yrs tri, limited by SM = 75 gms Iams Senior

@Mooch! When I started reading your post, it gave me quite a start lol.......you see, we had 2 mixed breeds along with our Cavaliers and they were Lucy and Desi!! Sad to say, Desi passed to the bridge last August. Lucy is still with us and going to be 11 years old this year. She is the boss of "her" Cavaliers LOL!

Back