• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Hi new here

dizins

I have Bruno who will be 2 yrs. in July ..Love him dearly but he is so mischeivious. I already took him to 2 training classes with no luck. He is such a barker (it can drive me nuts) chews anything on floor that my grand daughters may drop on floor (books, crayons etc.) He just has that devilish eye in him..oops he just took my slipper off my foot while I am typing this hahaha...he is great but the problem is his barking and he is very possesive of things he does not want to drop, he will even growl , he has snapped at me and even bit my niece thank god no blood drawn. I did a lot of research and decided on a cavalier because I read they are great with kids and a great companion...he is when he wants to be...it's almost like he has 2 different personalities. He gets his daily walk and his daily play and love . I also brought another dog into house thinking it might help (a pugle) they get along great but very possessive over his toys or treats and will growl so Lucy does not get them. When grand daughters are over he does not get any treats it is just too scary. Any advice?

Hi Welcome to Cavalier Talk!!! icon_welcome I have a 7 month old puppy named Sonny. We actually are having a similar problem with growling and being possessive right now. I believe if you search the term "resource guarding" on the this site you will get a lot of threads with helpful advice. Someone also recommended the book "Mine" by Jean Donaldson to me and we have been following the steps from that book. It is very clear the way she explains and gives different interventions for what ever type of resource guarding you are having a problem with. We specifically have been having a problem with Sonny guarding his "location" or when he is laying on the couch and not wanting to be moved. It sounds like you are having a problem with guarding "objects". We have already seen improvement from utilizing techniques in the book and advice I found on here. Hopefully the threads will help you too!

Hello and welcome!

You are not alone. My boy is such a little cheeky devil it's unreal, we train in agility and in the ring he is such a fast obedient dog - but anywhere not in the ring and he has that look in his eye! All I ever seem to do at home is check up on what he's doing!

Hi Welcome to Cavalier Talk!!! icon_welcome I have a 7 month old puppy named Sonny. We actually are having a similar problem with growling and being possessive right now. I believe if you search the term "resource guarding" on the this site you will get a lot of threads with helpful advice. Someone also recommended the book "Mine" by Jean Donaldson to me and we have been following the steps from that book. It is very clear the way she explains and gives different interventions for what ever type of resource guarding you are having a problem with. We specifically have been having a problem with Sonny guarding his "location" or when he is laying on the couch and not wanting to be moved. It sounds like you are having a problem with guarding "objects". We have already seen improvement from utilizing techniques in the book and advice I found on here. Hopefully the threads will help you too!
thank you for the info yes I do believe he is guarding I will read that book hope it helps...

Back