• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Puppy flea question

arielxxamy

Hi there- just got my cavalier a week ago and as it turns out, she has fleas from the breeder. She is only 9 weeks old- does anyone have any advice on safe flea treatment for a puppy as young as her?

Thanks!
-Amy

Welcome to the board! :)

Your vet can supply a safe and standard de-flea-ing product. She will also need to be wormed a couple of times in succession -- also something to get from the vet. Over the counter pet shop products in many cases have risky ingredients and should be avoided. You probably need no appointment and can just buy at reception in the vet but be sure to tell them it is for a puppy -- presumably they will have her weight info on file. :)

If you are in the US, some of the vendors have "puppy specials" where you can get a sample of the flea treatment (ie. one treatment for free). BB had some fleas when I got her and we noticed them right away, went to the Vet and found out about the puppy deals. It may have just been a promotional item being run but worth asking about given that I had never heard of this previously.

I don't know where you are but in Australia we need to double it up. I use sentinel which does the fleas and worms etc but we also have to treat for ticks. The vert said we can use Sentinel and a topical treatment like frontline plus. She is flea free now!

Back