• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Best brush/comb for mats in fur

BrooklynMom

Hey there,
So, Brooklyns hair is finally growing out and she is getting mats here and there (right now there are a few really bad ones on her tail because I just got back from vacation and even though our dog sitters brushed her every day, these are deep in there so you can hardly see and probably just built up)....and I would like advice on the best brush or comb to help get mats out.

And also, any tips to get them out too.

I usually just cut them if they are in a sensitive spot for Brooky, but mostly they are only light from a day activity since we groom her every night, so I just need the right tool to help get those out and keep on top of it (I have been using a human comb which worked just fine, but her hair is too thick and long now).

THANKS!

I bought a new comb with rotating teeth and it works wonderfully on mats. Best of all it doesn't pull or hurt when used! I also use a slicker brush which removes all the dead hair. Hope this helps.

I have an old Safari brand comb that looks just like this one http://www.petcarerx.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?pid=11906&k=Safari+Dog+Comb . Our old comb is a good quality metal, well polished/very smooth, which helps the comb get through the hair, mats, you-name-it. If this comb can't untangle a mat, then I cut it out. A lesser quality product would have more "drag" and not work as well. I love this comb but ours is almost twenty years old, and I cannot tell you if the quality is the same in the same product manufactured today. Very few products have the same quality they did 20 years ago, but it might be worth a try.

I also use a Mikki rotating comb and it is very good at getting out all but very bad tangles. I use a slicker brush first and then the rotating comb.

Hi
I have been using a comb but its been taking too much hair out so yesterday I
started with a small Chris Christensen mark 1 slicker
brush http://www.hubintsecured.co.uk/acata...ker_Brush.html in conjunction with
a 27 mm soft pin brush from the same people and using groomers evening primrose
spray and finishing off with my soft mason pearson brush.I think I will also try
Johnsons "No More Tangles " conditioning spray so we shall see how their ears
develop over the next month .
To thin out I use the Mars Coat King or The Furminator.

I use the Hartz slicker brush for cats. It's designed for small animals with sensitive skin. Nalu requires a very gentle brush and this works great.

Back