• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Splitting Capsules

murphy's mum

We're going to be splitting Misty's Gabapentin 100mg capsules so she can have 150mg three times a day. I was looking to see where I could buy the empty capsules, and discovered they come in different sizes. Does anyone split meds? Any idea what size would be enough? And are the Gelatine ones the best to buy? :)

Yes have considerable experience of splitting meds :( but you can get Gabapentin in a 600mg tablet which you can easily quarter, much easier!!

I'm not sure what size the capsules are unfortunately, you can get them on E-bay. I would think if you took them into a chemist they could tell you and probably supply you with some [maybe more expensive but would give you a start] Obviously you can't be that accurate when dividing them but over the day it works out ok [according to my vet]

I fold a rectangular piece of paper in half, then open it out. I do the same with an A5 sheet and put that underneath. Tip the contents onto the small piece which you use to pour the contents into the capsule. I hold the two capsules up to compare the level to try to get it even. Not easy and wash your hands carefully afterwards.

Don't be tempted to give Gabapentin without a capsule as it is very irritant to the gut lining.

Back