PDA

View Full Version : Brookyln in hospital...

BrooklynMom
28th January 2012, 01:15 PM
Brooklyn was just admitted to the emergency hospital for a Paralysis Tick (info if you do not know about them here: http://www.pethealth.com.au/Page/the-danger-of-paralysis-ticks).

Please pray for her. I am scared to death and cannot stop crying. We had to leave her at 10pm and can get an update again in the morning...everything a bit unclear as of right now because they don't know how far the venom will go and what to do with the anti-serum. I feel so helpless and just miss her terribly. We found the tick early though, so it has not been attached for ages, that is a good thing. I will update when I have more info in the morning, I am so tired now and going to bed, but I was just hoping I could ask for some prayers and if you don't pray, just some healing thoughts. She will feel them, I know she will.

Thanks everyone. x

denali
28th January 2012, 01:24 PM
Oh my gosh! That is terrible. I will definitely pray for her and tell Kokoda to send healing thoughts her way.
We are all here for you.
Get well soon Brooky. X

Nicki
28th January 2012, 01:26 PM
Oh no so sorry to hear this - keeping you both in our thoughts and hearts.

You did the right thing getting the tick off so quickly - I see the article says that daily inspections and prompt removal are the best ways of helping and preventing this condition - and of course getting her into the vets so promptly.

Try to get some rest - have some Dr Bach rescue remedy if you can that will help to keep you calm. Please keep us updated when you can - I will watch the board for more news.

The clan here send lots of love to Brooklyn and to you.

http://www.pbase.com/trevorhughes/image/132050483/medium.jpg

Charlifarley
28th January 2012, 01:49 PM
I wish Brooklyn a speedy recovery. She is so lucky that you are vigilant and spotted the tick so early on. I'm sure that will help her in getting better soon. Thinking of you. XX

murphy's mum
28th January 2012, 02:13 PM
I'm so sorry to hear this, and I hope she gets well soon. She's in the best place she can be right now :hug:

Let us know how she gets on.

Love my Cavaliers
28th January 2012, 02:54 PM
Wow, you are so lucky you spotted it so early. Was she having any symptoms yet? Sending lots of hugs and prayers to you and to Brooklyn.

ourempire
28th January 2012, 03:13 PM
Oh no. I am so sorry to hear that. I send all my prayers and thoughts to you and Brooklyn. I sure understand why you are devastated, the waiting must be terrible:hug: :hug: :hug:

ashleighelizabeth
28th January 2012, 04:25 PM
I am so sorry to hear this about little Brooklyn. I will be praying hard for Brooklyn, you and your husband. Keep us updated.:hug:

Sydneys Mom
28th January 2012, 05:11 PM
Poor Brooklyn. I pray that she will be OK and back home soon.

Nicki
28th January 2012, 05:45 PM
I don't think we will have any news for a few hours yet - just checking the time and it is currently 16.45 in the UK and 03.45 Sunday morning in Sydney, so hopefully Brooklyn's Mom is tucked up safely in bad and getting a few hours sleep, she needs to be fit for when Brooklyn comes home.

[Saturday 11.45 in New York for our US friends]

vikki
28th January 2012, 05:51 PM
my thoughts are with you both

Sabby
28th January 2012, 06:40 PM
Sending lots of healing thoughts for Broklyn. Glad you spotted the Tick early.

I know we have Ticks in the UK but do we have Paralysis Ticks?

Tania
28th January 2012, 06:58 PM
Poor Brooklyn, you must be worried sick. You are both in my thoughts, sending gentle hugs to Brooklyn.:hug:

lindylou
28th January 2012, 08:01 PM
hi
so sorry to read about brooklyn i hope and pray she will be just fine
please give her a kiss and cuddle from louie and his mum when you see her

Desrae
28th January 2012, 08:34 PM
:hug: to you Kelsey, praying that Brooky is ok and she'll be home with you in no time!

Nicki
28th January 2012, 09:24 PM
Sending lots of healing thoughts for Broklyn. Glad you spotted the Tick early.

I know we have Ticks in the UK but do we have Paralysis Ticks?

No fortunately we do not have Paralysis or Brown Dog ticks in the UK, the worst we can get over here [dogs or humans] is Lyme Disease. I did have a brilliant website showing photos of ticks and their descriptions, but can't find it at the moment :( We do need to still be aware of ticks though.

BrooklynMom
28th January 2012, 11:45 PM
Thank you everyone for your thoughts and thanks Nicki for keeping people updated on the time change etc.
It's morning now and we heard from the vet at 6:45 am that she made it through the night!!! Yay. That is the most critical part and I just feel she will get through this now.

On the way to the hospital to see her now. Thank you all so much for your thoughts and prayers, I know she felt them and it was just what she needed. Will update again soon once we talk to the vet!! Poor Brooky, i just love her so much and ever grateful to my husband for finding this tick and getting it off when we did...it made all the difference in the ending of this story and I feel we were so blessed for that.

Will update soon. x

Nicki
28th January 2012, 11:56 PM
Oh that's fantastic news!!! We're just so thrilled for you. Hope she makes a full recovery now and will be back home with you very shortly.

I can go to bed now :)

ByFloSin
28th January 2012, 11:58 PM
Sorry I've been so busy today that I have only just started reading today's posts. Poor Brooklyn. Get well soon sweet girl. Am spinning the Tibetan Prayer Wheel for you as I type. Keep us updated when you get time after you come home please.

sins
29th January 2012, 12:00 AM
I'm so pleased to hear she's doing well.I know you can't wait to get her safely home.
Thank Goodness that tick was found in time.
Sins

Alana
29th January 2012, 12:01 AM
Oh my goodness Kelsey what a horrific experience, I am glad that she is going to be okay. I will keep praying for her.

Sydneys Mom
29th January 2012, 12:04 AM
Thank goodness. Will continue to send prayers and good wished your way. Big gentle hugs from me and Sydney.

BeBe
29th January 2012, 12:47 AM
I am so happy to hear that Brooklyn is going to be alright, have been thinking of you both throughout the entire day!

Noelle & B.B.

mommytoClaire
29th January 2012, 01:12 AM
Oh Kelsey, so sorry I'm just getting here to respond! I will continue to pray for sweet Brooklyn. I believe we have similar ticks in the Southern part of the US. Very scary. Do you do preventive tick control?

Makes me think we should all look into whether there is something similar in our part of the world, and have prevention if so.

Hugs to sweet Brooklyn from Claire and I!

ashleighelizabeth
29th January 2012, 01:28 AM
That is great news Kelsey that she is going to be ok!!! I have been thinking about her all day and rushed home right now to check for updates on her. Tell Brooky that we are all still praying for a speedy recovery! :l*v:

lscott
29th January 2012, 03:30 AM
How awful! Hope Brooklyn i well and home soon

BrooklynMom
29th January 2012, 09:08 AM
Thank you all!
to answer some questions...I believe Paralysis Ticks are native to Australia (on the coastal/beaches ring), so not sure if they are anywhere else. We do use Advantix, but even the best protection can have holes I guess is the best way to say it. It is important if you are in a tick area, even if you use a tick protector, to still do nightly tick checks. That is how we found this deadly tick so early and frankly, it saved her life. A cavalier down the street from me died last week from this tick, and I was only thinking the worst.

I have known a lot of dogs on the beaches (in my area) affected, and I am just so grateful that Brooklyn was not like them. She made it. She is my hero. She is so strong and tough and did not even whine. She is an amazing animal. When we went to see her this morning, she was doing funny things with her mouth (the Paralysis tick will stop their gag reflex and almost give them this cotton mouth type thing where the smack their lips and pant a lot which is why they cannot eat or drink for a few days or they will inhale their food vs. swallow it), but she looked good and I...well I smiled for the first time in 24 hours.

It was a HARD night, a really hard one and I just have never experianced something like this before.

Anyway, the vet said...SHE WILL COME HOME TONIGHT!!! It was literally "when" we took the tick off". Thank god :) Bless her heart and thank you all so much for your group thoughts. They get us through some of the hardest situations and I am so grateful.

ByFloSin
29th January 2012, 09:29 AM
So glad to log on and see the good news. What a brave girl Brooklyn is. Our little dogs are just so amazing sometimes, aren't they.:jmp:

ourempire
29th January 2012, 09:42 AM
Thank you so much for your good news. I am so relieved to hear that! Best wishes to all of you :flwr:

Alana
29th January 2012, 10:54 AM
I am so glad to hear she is alright. We get ticks out my way too. I still get scared that I will miss one when I check. I am glad she is coming home. What did the vet say about the timing?

Charlifarley
29th January 2012, 11:24 AM
I'm delighted to read that all is ok for Brooklyn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Karlin
29th January 2012, 11:47 AM
:yikes -- what a terrible ordeal for your both. I have never heard of these ticks, so thanks for educating me and us all. I am so glad your prompt action saved her and that she is coming home so quickly after such a terribly worrying situation. What a great vet to phone so early -- knowing you'd be up and worried! You must have just held your breath when the phone rang.

Sydneys Mom
29th January 2012, 05:00 PM
What wonderful news to hear that Brooklyn is OK and coming home. You must be so relieved.

Margaret C
29th January 2012, 05:26 PM
It must have been a nightmare. What a good thing you knew you had to act so quickly.

Dog owners in the UK do not have anything like these nasty bugs to worry about, thank goodness.

I would imagine brave Brooklyn is going to be a little spoilt when she gets home?

waldor
29th January 2012, 05:37 PM
It's morning now and we heard from the vet at 6:45 am that she made it through the night!!! Yay. That is the most critical part ...

What a relief!!! Your diligence in the nightly tick checks is to be commended.

Love my Cavaliers
29th January 2012, 05:57 PM
Oh, I'm so glad she's well enough to come home. I raced on-line this morning to check her status and was so relieved to see that she had made it through the night. Lots of hugs and kisses going on at your house I'm sure!!

susandavis1
29th January 2012, 06:16 PM
So relieved to hear that Brooklyn is on the mend and coming home. Hope she makes a full recovery soon :xfngr:

Nicki
29th January 2012, 08:26 PM
You will be so relieved to have her home and safe - what a horrendous experience but I hope that something positive can come out of it, that we have all learnt to be more proactive in tick checking and control.

Give Brooklyn a gentle hug from us all x

Tania
29th January 2012, 10:35 PM
Fatnastic news, I am so pleased she is home. Lots of hugs and get well wishes from the Furry Four.

mommytoClaire
30th January 2012, 01:12 AM
Looking for another update?

Sabby
30th January 2012, 12:14 PM
Glad to hear Brooklyn is doing better and out of danger.

lindylou
30th January 2012, 03:32 PM
hi
so pleased to read that brooklyn is coming home good luck with her
sending kisses and cuddles to brooklyn from louie and is mum

lucidity
30th January 2012, 04:03 PM
Just saw this! So glad to hear that Brooklyn is doing fine. How lucky that you spotted the tick early! They are really a nuisance. I hate them with a passion... I always dread tick season.

Hoping that Brooklyn will make a speedy recovery!

Nicki
30th January 2012, 08:37 PM
Do hope everything is ok Kelsey and that Brooklyn is now safely home with you - let us know when you can please. In the meantime we are all thinking of you and wishing you well.

BrooklynMom
31st January 2012, 12:26 AM
Hi everyone! Thank you so much again for all of your sweet words.
Sorry it has taken me a while for an update, I took the day off work yesterday and just spent time with Brooklyn and took a break from it all. It was such an emotional and trying weekend that is for sure.

Brooklyn is looking up. She is still quite lethargic and a bit panty, but that is to be expected. She is just sleeping a lot and doesnt really want to go more than a block or two for a walk. But she is eating again and I think she looks a lot happier too. We are SO lucky, she is so lucky. Bless her heart.

To answer some questions...Paralysis Ticks (from what I know) are only in Australia. They are usually found around the coastal edge and we have a high population in our area. You can use Advantix to help with prevention, but nothing is 100%. The best prevention if you live in a tick area is daily tick checks. For us, that was the matter of life and death. To answer your question about timing Alana, it is because we got the tick of so early. The longer a Paralyisis Tick remains on the dog, the more dire the situation will be. If not taken off for a few days, the chances of living are not great and for a small dog, only having it attached for 24 hours or less can be deadly.

We are very grateful today, things are looking up and she is getting her "swagger" back. I just love this girl so much and she has shown me strength beyond all measures. What a brave little soul. Even everyone is the hospital said her tail just kept wagging.

Here is a pic of Brooky resting it all away. She says THANK YOU for all of your prayers and support :) xx
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7008/6792271067_157cac8245.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/32200327@N02/6792271067/)
IMG_2055 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/32200327@N02/6792271067/) by kelseykakes5 (http://www.flickr.com/people/32200327@N02/), on Flickr

sins
31st January 2012, 12:35 AM
Thank goodness,
I can imagine the sense of relief having Brooklyn home again.Sounds like she's doing well,considering how very serious it could have been.
Sins

Sydneys Mom
31st January 2012, 01:01 AM
So happy she's home with you again. Love the way she sleeps with her paws crossed.

BeBe
31st January 2012, 02:08 AM
I am so happy that Brooky is home and doing well, I had never heard of this type of tick so the information is good. Although, I do have to say I am glad they are not widely present in the US! My family and I were thinking of you all throughout the weekend, we have been on the board long but have learned so much from your postings - we feel like we know you and Brooky! Just glad things are looking up!

Noelle, B.B. and Tucker

Nicki
31st January 2012, 01:46 PM
Oh that is just fantastic! You must all be exhausted and as you say it will take a wee while for Brooklyn to recover completely, but I know they start picking up when they get home and it's really good that she is eating and wanting to go out for a walk even if you don't go very far.

Thank you for the information about the paralysis tick - I think we've all learnt a lot from your horrific experience. I remember watching an episode of Steve Irwin's "The Crocodile Hunter" some years back and his dog Sui had a Brown Dog Tick [I think?] and was very ill - I didn't know at that time how dangerous ticks could be.

pippa
31st January 2012, 02:19 PM
I missed this! So glad to hear she pulled through xx

ourempire
31st January 2012, 08:12 PM
It is wonderful news to hear that she is home. What a horrific ordeal it has been for you. It is so lucky that you check her for ticks every day. Many more wishes of a speedy recovery for Brooklyn.

Furrfoot
1st February 2012, 04:26 AM
Sorry I'm just now seeing this- I'm soo glad she's okay!

BrooklynMom
1st February 2012, 11:54 AM
Thank you everyone! She is doing better by the day and I am just loving her harder than before (if that is possible!). She is happy and I am tick paranoid now, so she gets "felt up" every few hours, ha. Poor thing.

ourempire
1st February 2012, 01:54 PM
It's just so good to hear that she's fine after all this. I bet Brooklyn doesn't mind the tick inspection, she probably just confuses it with cuddles :)