• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

50,000 pet owners face crippling vet bills after their insurance is axed

How awful! There should be some compensation or a way to help these people out, it's just not right! Things are going from bad to worse with the economy. LLoyds TSB and Halifax were underwriters for our pet insurance, thank goodness we haven't needed it, but we'll have to look elsewhere now.

Terrible, I was forced to cancel my pet insurance last year as they more than doubled by yearly premium and my husband had been made redundant and my hours had been cut in my job. I rang to try come to a compromise and they were so rude. I explained I would have to consider cancelling as I couldn't afford it and they more or less said 'do that then'

I'd been with the same company all along and couldn't get any other insurance as Pippin has health issues and they were all over 7!

I now have a saving account for emergencies...

I have been doing a lot of research on pet insurance lately. Due to the fact that I will be a cavvy Mom soon. Where I live there are no interest credit cards called CareCredit. It's an interest free (if you make min payments on time) for dental care, plastic surgery and yes vet care. My dentist told me about it yrs ago and I have used it with no problems. Again min payments must be paid on time or interest will kick in but the min payments are way easier to deal with than an interest rate normal credit card. I think instead of pet insurance I'm going to look into opening a CareCredit line just in case- not for "normal" vet visits. Just my input.

How awful! There should be some compensation or a way to help these people out, it's just not right! Things are going from bad to worse with the economy. LLoyds TSB and Halifax were underwriters for our pet insurance, thank goodness we haven't needed it, but we'll have to look elsewhere now.

What insurance company are you with Desrae?

This is horrifying and I guess could happen to any of us - I did look at their insurance, we both used to work for the Halifax and still bank with them [my husband worked for them for over 25 years]. We had a lucky escape...

Yes vet fees are expensive but so is the equipment, training, staff costs etc etc.

I did consider having a savings account and putting money aside each month instead of paying premiums, but with a Cavalier I really wouldn't recommend this - we were lucky we did take out insurance, at the age of just 2 Kayleigh has had an MRI scan, neurology consult and some other issues and they have paid out over £2,300 already - I pay £53 per month for all THREE dogs [Virgin]. It's a very basic policy, covers you up to £6,000 per condition over the lifetime of the dog. So it has more than paid for itself already.

There is a thread here about insurance:
http://www.cavaliertalk.com/forums/showthread.php?35387-Insurance

Even if you do not have health insurance for your dog, at the very least you need third party insurance:

Pet owners can be legally responsible for the actions of their animals. If your pet were to injure someone or run across the road and cause an accident, as owner of that animal you could be liable to prosecution and claims for compensation.

Third party liability insurance basically protects you financially in the event that your pet harms another person or causes them injury, or if your animal were to damage or destroy someone else's property. Under the 1971 Animals Act this includes damage to vehicles too. Some third party liability options extend to insure pet owners in circumstances where the animal is responsible for the death of another person. If your pet's actions were to cause such an incident the claim for compensation could be substantial -- and if you do not have third party liability cover you might even have to sell your home in order to make the settlement!

Lloyds TSB and Halifax were the insurers...makes me think of those HUGE bonuses those at the top get.

Back