• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

EFS and Dry Eye Curly Coat Research - Can you help?

Carol Fowler

Hi

I've been contacted by the AHT regarding the above research. Scientists need Cavalier DNA from dogs who fit the following critieria:
  • One dog per owner
  • dogs must be born after 1 July 2005
  • dogs must be registered by the UK Kennel Club
If you're will to help (please do so if your dog qualifies) contact Lou Hayward at the Animal Health Trust: [email protected] (01638 750659 Ext 1284) with the following details:
  • Kennel Club name of your dog
  • Kennel Club registered name of both parents of your dog
  • your dog's date of birth
  • your full name and address
If your dog qualifies, you will be sent a cheek swab sample collection kit in the post, which you then send back to the AHT.

Deadline 29 February 2012

The results for your dog (his or her precise genetic makeup at both genes) will be sent to you.

I'll send the AHT letter to Karlin so that she can post the whole thing.

Carol Fowler

Hello Carol

Swabs from Poppy ,Daisy, Rosie and Lily already done and sent in just awaiting results now .

Recieved the email from Sandra - would like to participate but my Murphy isn't KC registered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks everybody.

I'll contact AHT at the end of this week to see how many DNA samples are still needed. Cavalier pet owners are wonderful

Best Wishes

Carol

Recieved the email from Sandra - would like to participate but my Murphy isn't KC registered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One of the aims of the Companion Cavalier Club is to support health research, so Sandra, as Secretary, sent out the AHT request to all our members.

There will be quite a few pets that are not able to be entered for the study, but we hope that members will pass on the appeal to any of their cavalier owning friends with dogs that may be suitable.

It is a very simple test.

I did originally consider entering my dogs for this but thought it was preferable that dogs in breeding programs were tested - there are only 200 places available.

Following Carol's appeal on here, I wrote to Lou saying that I would be happy to take part if my dogs were of use - I received the kit within a couple of days, have taken the swabs and it will be posted back tomorrow. It's very easy to do, Tommy was fine with having it done. [mine all have the same parents]

I hope that other people will also take part, this such important research and it's fantastic that we have the opportunity to help.

Sins, that's great news about Ivy. I know her breeder has already taken part in this research.

Please could people post this on their Facebook [and other social media!] pages, and e-mail everyone you know who has a Cavalier...it would be a dreadful shame if they do not have enough dogs for the research.

Sins, that's great news about Ivy. I know her breeder has already taken part in this research.
Actually,he hasn't Nicki.
None of their dogs were selected..(and they were offered)
The six that have been tested are active in the breeding programme and were paid for by the breeders themselves.
Sins

Is there any breeder who sent off their info to the breed club for this research who definitely knows their info was included? (as club members were not to send it to the researchers but to club "health" people to be "selected" -- I guess according to their very own, very unique, very very special, highly selective process...).

I have yet to hear of anyone who sent in information that had their information sent on for research. I am sure there must be at least one or two.

I wonder what criteria were used to exclude so many dogs...? And so many others I have been told about as well?

I do hope breeders who tried to participate, all send on the information directly to researchers, now that they can -- they might find the researchers have a different set of criteria for what they would like. (y)

Is there any breeder who sent off their info to the breed club for this research who definitely knows their info was included? (as club members were not to send it to the researchers but to club "health" people to be "selected" -- I guess according to their very own, very unique, very very special, highly selective process...).

I have yet to hear of anyone who sent in information that had their information sent on for research. I am sure there must be at least one or two.

I wonder what criteria were used to exclude so many dogs...? And so many others I have been told about as well?

I do hope breeders who TRIED to participate, all send on the information directly to researchers, now that they can -- they might find the researchers have a different set of criteria for what they would like. (y)

My dogs were included in the study through the Clubs. I offered two bitches through a Club, and the AHT chose which one they wanted to test for free, and they offered the other could be tested (for free) to assist their research only, or I could pay £25 to get the results back. Of course, I paid the £25 so I would get the results for the second. .
Two bitches tested for £25 and certificates, seemed a bargain not to be missed, as well as helping the researchers try to establish the incidence of these conditions.
I heard of others who were also offered, and took up, a similiar opportunity.

The Clubs were asked to provide a wide selection of parents, so there may have been a problem with lots of closely related dogs being unsuitable.

Owners can now apply directly to the AHT. It is not clear if the criteria for selection is the same, or that the AHT has "widened the net", but anyone can apply direct, at worst they will be turned down.

The AHT Genetics Centre published in a mid term report from Mar 2011 to August 2011:
"Since the launch of the DNA test in April 2011, we have tested 842 CKCS from 15 different countries for both mutations. Of these, 25 dogs have been identified as affected with EF and more than 230 dogs as carriers of either EF or CCDE.

Obviously fairly common conditions, but easily eradicated through not doubling up the genes by breeding two carriers together.
IF the above figures are representative of the breed in the UK (hence the current AHT study) more than one in four dogs is a carrier of one or other condition.
Maggie

Last edited:
Thanks for the helpful clarification! :)

That is an exceptional price to have this definitive knowledge about EFS/curly coat for a breeding dog. It is a real breakthrough too for people who have a dog that seems to be showing symptoms of EFS as so much was guesswork before.

(as club members were not to send it to the researchers but to club "health" people to be "selected" -- I guess according to their very own, very unique, very very special, highly selective process...).

I am disappointed to read this, Karlin, as I was under the impression that the AHT were doing the selecting and not the Clubs. Are you sure?

Whether by the clubs or by the AHT, there has to be a pretty strict selection process in order to fulfil the criteria for the trial. I would be happy for my two to take part, but of course Oliver is much too old and Aled's parents are unknown - so alas, I am 'deselected' before I even apply!

Kate, Oliver and Aled

I am sure that there were no names going forward from the club for a very long time. Maybe someone got a kick in the backside in the interim... :)

Back