• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Ebony picked up a mouse - Worried

Sabby

We went for a walk earlier and they were all on the lead. I noticed that Rosie was sniffing at something but walked on, Ebony wouldn’t leave it and when I told her to move on she did and then suddenly I saw a few blood spots in the snow. I thought she cut her self so bend down to take a closer look and she had a field mouse in her mouth. When I shouted at her she let go. The mouse was dead but I don’t think it had been dead for long as it looked soft.

My worry is that she could catch something from that mouse, especially because of the blood and I don’t know what it died of. Do field mice have common diseases like rats? What about poison?

I don’t won’t to take Ebony to the vets as she got nothing wrong with her right now. How long before something would happen? This happened about 1.5 hours ago.

I am worried and watching her like a hawk, she just been in the garden wanting to eat grass but she does that sometimes, and she hasn’t been sick.

I would think that mice carry a varity of diseases, including leptospirosis. It may be a good idea to give your vet a call and see what they advise. They may be able to tell you what signs to watch for. I'll kep my fingers crossed that all workd out OK. Let us know how she is.

In situation like this, I call my vet. They should be able to tell you what diseases local mice could transmit to your dog. And what symptoms to watch for in case of poisoning.

Good advice but I'd not be overly worried. If this was out on walk in open places this is probably a nice healthy meat snack... :) Cats catch and eat same all the time (and many terriers...).

PS if she only held it in her mouth, poison wouldn't be an issue. I doubt lepto either as it is transmitted via urine generally... but a call to the vets will probably settle your mind. :)

If it was bloody then that makes me think it was probably not killed by poison, more likely a cat has tortured it and then left it alone when it stopped moving (I have see my cats do this with cockeroaches!) Please let us know how things go.

Thank you all for you advice.

So far Ebony is fine she had all her dinner and is her normal self.

We were on a walk in open fields; We always walk in the countryside as thats where we live so never walk in build up areas. It was a field mouse not a normal urban mouse. There is a difference between the two. I ask all my other doggy friends and they all have working dogs like cockers, working Labradors and terriers. All they said is god you do worry a lot. I know some of their dogs pick up a lot worse.

I would call the vet for advice but I know they just want to make money and tell me to come in for blood tests and god knows what. I don’t think she was poisoned as I guess I would already see symptoms 9 hours later.

If I am still not sure tomorrow I will ring the vet. I know lepto blood tests take at least 5 days to come back. Harley had one done last year, and the vet said then that you are more likely to catch lepto near lakes and wetlands.

I agree with Karlin, Sabby. Lepto is usually carried in urine and contracted by sniffing infected urine, which is why it is also known as the 'lamp-post disease' for obvious reasons.

When we lived among open fields in a remote part of Cornwall, both the dog and the house cats often killed and mauled or sometimes ate field mice, but no harm ever came to any of them. The freezing cold weather outside may have weakened the poor thing, making it easy prey for a passing Cavalier. It was during last year's extreme weather that my lot cornered a small bird, rapidly caught, despatched and consumed by Winston Alexander, who came to no harm from the experience.

Our dogs scare us rigid sometimes when they do things like this, but try not to worry and get in touch with your vet only if you really think something is wrong.

Last edited:
Riley, of all my dogs - the one with SM - is my hunter. She is so fast. She will track and kill a chipmunk. if I notice that she's been out a bit too long in our fenced yard, I will look for her and you can bet she's starting to chow down on what she is thinking is going to be one tasty snack. That's until I get my hand in there that is covered with a whole roll of paper towels and grab it out of her mouth. There is no way she is going to trade it for a biscuit. This summer, she must have killed at least eight of them. She has never suffered any ill effects from eating any parts of them before I can get to her. She's also eaten birds that have flown into our windows and have died and she's gotten to them before I noticed they were lying dead on the grass. She's been fine every time. Like Flo said, I wouldn't worry too much - especially since Ebony seems fine now.

I have to hold my hand up, Misty frequently snacks on dead mice :(

Our cat is a ferocious hunter, and no matter how many I clean up, Misty always seems to find at least one in a week. It a long running battle to find the mice first. I hate hearing her crunch their bones, and she always ignores the drop command around mice. I think they are her guilty pleasures :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an interesting topic about mice and cavs.
Last week, my cav Charlie, caught a mouse in the cupboard. I felt sorry for the mouse. Cav on the left, the direction he tried to escape to, the Brussels Griffon on the right, backed up by the Rhodesian Ridgeback.
Mouse was instantly dead. It really didn't stand a chance.

I would call the vet for advice but I know they just want to make money and tell me to come in for blood tests and god knows what.

That's really a shame, my vet would say something like "local mice can carry [diseases]. Keep an eye out for [symptoms], if you see that bring him in." I always call just to get the symptoms to watch for, I guess I have a distorted view of what services vets will provide free.

SO pleased she is ok - Tommy is a hunter and has been known to dig out and kill moles! He also catches voles.

That's disgusting about your vets - what a shame.

That's really a shame, my vet would say something like "local mice can carry [diseases]. Keep an eye out for [symptoms], if you see that bring him in." I always call just to get the symptoms to watch for, I guess I have a distorted view of what services vets will provide free.

My vet practice are very helpful with over the phone queries to put my mind at ease, while advising us to bring them in if things get worse/change.

As far as my monsters are concerned there is only one place for a mouse!

6858666631_a0f89efce3_z.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Back