PDA

View Full Version : Hi

supercazzy
10th February 2012, 12:08 PM
Hi

I am new to this site, and we are looking for a Cavalier, we have done quite a bit of research on this breed, and can't wait to get one.
One thing l am a bit confused about and l hope l dont sound silly is, is there a difference between King Charles Cavalier and Cavalier King Charles, as we have been looking for King Charles Cavalier.

We would like a Blenhiem girl if possible, l am not really sure where to start, l have look on the kennel club website for a list of breeders, but could not find it, l am not very technical minded it has to be said.

Any help of advice you can give, would be greatly appreciated.

Caroline

Karlin
10th February 2012, 01:40 PM
Hi and welcome!

There is no such breed as the King Charles Cavalier–that is probably your point of confusion. Unfortunately, the name seems to get mangled, particularly I have found, in Ireland, where everybody seems to wrongly call this breed either the King Charles Cavalier, or just the King Charles–the latter is an entirely different breed, and as I said, the 1st does not exist! The breed you are looking for is a Cavalier King Charles spaniel, which is correctly shortened to the name “cavalier”.

If you let us know what country you are talking about, people can probably help you out–there are kennel clubs all over the world. :)

What's more important is to use our puppy buyer guides which are linked to on the main page of the site, in the box on the right-hand column, as these contain information about what you really need to be asking breeders, and the health certificates that they must be able to show you if they are breeding responsibly. You will find it will be quite challenging to find a breeder who properly health tests anywhere in the world, and it is no easier to start by talking to kennel club readers, as this is just the most basic starting point of potentially finding a responsible breeder and is no indication that they focus on health at all. It is also generally harder to find female puppies as they are more in demand and breeders are also more likely to hang onto them for their own breeding programs. To get a puppy from a good breeder generally can take up to a year, so you are right to do your research carefully and then give time to a proper search! :)

MomObvious
10th February 2012, 03:57 PM
Hello Caroline,

I am just ahead of you in my research stage. I have been looking for a Cavalier for almost 8 months although I have been researching what breed of dog I wanted to add to my life for over a year. Karlin is exactly right finding a good breeder is very hard and even after you have found one who I believe is right (all health checks and quilified to breed great animals) you still second guess that you are going to get the healthiest puppy you can. Cavaliers do come with some serious medical traits that will require extra precautions. I think of it this way, when I was pregnant with my children I took extra care of myself to help ensure I had a healthy child, this is the same thing. But you have to do your own homework and it is a process. To start I wanted to actually met a Cavalier so I went to some local dog shows and AKC approved training centers. I did met owners of Cavaliers and they were great with sharing info with me about their dogs. Plus I really enjoyed meeting the dogs!!!
I also am looking for a Blenhiem girl. Although I am going back and rethinking that now too. I firmly believe my efforts to find healthy happy puppy and all the work that goes into it is my first step in loving and caring for my one day dog.

I live in the US, Virginia to be exact. If you private message me I will be happy to give you names of breeders I have found close to me. Other people here can also help I'm sure.

Happy Healthy Puppy Searching,
Melissa

Margaret C
10th February 2012, 07:45 PM
Hi

I am new to this site, and we are looking for a Cavalier, we have done quite a bit of research on this breed, and can't wait to get one.
One thing l am a bit confused about and l hope l dont sound silly is, is there a difference between King Charles Cavalier and Cavalier King Charles, as we have been looking for King Charles Cavalier.

We would like a Blenhiem girl if possible, l am not really sure where to start, l have look on the kennel club website for a list of breeders, but could not find it, l am not very technical minded it has to be said.

Any help of advice you can give, would be greatly appreciated.

Caroline

It is easy to get confused about the name........

As Karlin has explained the little spaniels with a definite length of muzzle are called Cavalier King Charles Spaniels. The flat faced little dogs with no muzzle are King Charles Spaniels.

The original toy spaniels were long nosed but, when flat faced dogs such as pugs became fashionable in Victorian times, the nose was shortened. Those were the dogs that became the Kennel Club registered King Charles Spaniel.

In 1925 an American gentleman came over to England & was disappointed that there were no small, long nosed, spaniels similar to those that were featured in old paintings. He offered a large cash prize for three years at Crufts to the spaniel that most resembled those old fashioned toy dogs.

A small band of breeders took up the challenge and a longer nosed spaniel was recreated from the existing 'Charlies'. This new breed were eventually recognised by the KC as Cavalier King Charles Spaniels and it has gone on to become the popular little dog it is today.

Popularity, however, brings its own problems. If you want help with finding a responsible breeder send me a private message (PM ) with your email address & I will try and help you.

supercazzy
10th February 2012, 11:28 PM
I have left you my email on your message board, as not able to use PM at the moment.

Thanks

Caroline