• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Empathetic

CSutherland

I noticed shortly after we got Bentley, a year ago, that he'd stop what he was doing, sit and stare at the TV if he heard crying. There have been other instances in the months following, but it has become really apparent since December when our daughter died. One day I had him outside to potty when grief suddenly came on and I was softly crying outloud. He sat down at my feet and stared at me. Yesterday my husband was holding Bentley, all 25 lbs of him, while lying back in his recliner. I made the mistake of showing hubby a rendering of the tombstone that was picked out and he really lost it, sobbing, then wailing for a few minutes. He said Bentley, who always lays outward between his legs with his head toward hubby's feet, turned all the way around with his nose under his chin, resting that way. What a comfort he has been!

I'm so sorry about your loss. But thank you for sharing your story about Bentley. He must love you two a lot- Maybe this is why Cavaliers make good therapy dogs because they have the ability to heal us at least a little. I currently do not own a Cavalier I am still looking for a pup but I can only hope I get the opportunity to raise, own and love a dog as great as yours.

Sending Happy Thoughts,
Melissa

You have been through so much -- isn't it special that our cavaliers seem to understand the moments when we need support and comfort? :flwr:

Hi,
Im so sorry to hear about the loss of your daughter. My Leo seems to sense when things are bad here too, its weird how he homes in on any of us if we're feeling very down or even unwell.
Bless Bentley for being there for you.
Mel XX:flwr:

I am so sorry to hear about your loss. It is terrible for you. You are right that our pets sense it, when we are sad. I have experienced that with my dogs, too. My thoughts and prayers go to you :flwr:

So very sorry for your loss that is just tragic :(

It's lovely how our Cavaliers are true "comforter" Spaniels - my boy Cruz would run from wherever he was to me if I was ever crying for any reason - but all my Cavaliers have been very empathetic, another lovely characteristic of this breed.

We hope that Bentley is a comfort for you - a soft furry body is good for drying tears - you are in our thoughts.

I'm so sorry about your daughter.
My Belle is like that, whenever I cry, the tears are flowing and Belle sniffs the air and comes running to me, hops in my lap and licks the tears away until I laugh. Bobby joins in sometimes, if he's not snoring away on the couch.
I believe they do feel empathy, dogs are wonderful creatures.

I am so sorry for your loss. Bentley sounds like such a sweet and gentle soul. Thank you for sharing your story. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

I am so sorry for the loss of your daughter. So glad Bentley is there to comfort you. Cavaliers are the most amazing dogs.

I am so sorry to hear your loss...and yes, Cavaliers are something special when it comes to giving comfort, love and care. They just "know". Good on Bentley.

Back