PDA

View Full Version : Health Check

Brian M
15th February 2012, 03:29 PM
Hi

If you don't do Annual Boosters how often should you take your Cavalier in for a health check up. ?

Mindysmom
15th February 2012, 03:56 PM
I still take my guys in annually for check ups.

Karlin
15th February 2012, 03:56 PM
Annually. Just as kids need annual physicals. The owner can miss signs of problems a vet will pick up -- but if left longer than a year, it may be too late to do anything or what can be done may be more limited and considerably more expensive.

Their lives are short, in human terms -- they def need annual check-ups by a responsible owner. :thmbsup:

pippa
15th February 2012, 07:15 PM
Annually ( and I still get Lepto vacs annually)

Nicki
15th February 2012, 10:46 PM
For older dogs I would suggest at least 6 monthly as things can change quickly...

Autaven
15th February 2012, 11:16 PM
I get boosters so I ask for a full check up while we're there. If we didn't I'm sure I would stick to annually :)

ByFloSin
16th February 2012, 09:10 AM
Winston and Bubbles are checked once every year because they are in perfect health.

Rebel is 9 years old, with symptomatic SM, so he is routinely checked every 3 months. Little Joe is epileptic but has an annual health check. Holly P is checked every six months plus a Schirmer Test (tear count).

penquite
16th February 2012, 09:43 AM
Hi

If you don't do Annual Boosters how often should you take your Cavalier in for a health check up. ?

Hi Brian
Every three months when we go to pick up a new perscription for the heart meds
King regards
Sue

Brian M
16th February 2012, 09:51 AM
Hi
Taking our Pops for a once over at 2.50 pm today and as she is 5 1/2 I will dread the part when they check her heart :(

It was nice speaking to you the other day Flo you came over just as I thought ,A Lovely Lady .

jasperpaw
16th February 2012, 09:51 AM
Jasper has a check up every 3 months as he is on heart medication and Ollie has a check up every year when he gets his booster.

Brian M
16th February 2012, 10:36 AM
Hello Sue

As Daisy was found to have a Grade 2 murmur last August and Simon said to fetch her back in twelve months ,is that because
she is only a Grade 2 and not yet on medication that he said he has no need to see her for that time unless of course I notice
a deterioration in her condition .As I said earlier the only thing on my mind now is that moment this afternoon when she gets
her heart checked ,oh for these curses of MVD/SM not to exist so we can just enjoy our Cavaliers without these things in the bcak of your mind all the time.

Alana
16th February 2012, 10:58 AM
How did it go?

Brian M
16th February 2012, 11:05 AM
Hello Alana

Poppy I take thsi afternoon so will let you know ,thanks for asking.

Best Wishes

Bri

Kate H
16th February 2012, 12:23 PM
While it would be nice if our dogs didn't have murmurs at all, a Grade 2 is not serious (even though it's wise to keep weight down and avoid walks in scorching weather - which I'm sure you do). Symptoms aren't likely to start appearing until you get to a Grade 4 or higher (though obviously there are exceptions), so if Daisy isn't showing any symptoms an annual check-up is all that is needed. Aled has a Grade 3 but no symptoms, so I just take him to the Cavalier Club championship show every March to get a quick once-over from Simon. If he started showing symptoms I'd whip him to the vets double-quick, but he's stayed at Grade 3 for over 2 years now, and keepingthem slim and fit is really all you can do (plus Aled has Omega 3 daily - as you know, Simon says this can retard development of a murmur).

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Brian M
16th February 2012, 12:58 PM
Hello Kate

Thanks for your post .Simon I really appreciate he is a smashing man and for me exudes confidence ,knowledge and utter respect and I am so lucky living about 20 mins down the motorway from N. W. S. What he also said when we saw him was that a daily supplement of Taurine as well as Omega 3 is also very beneficial for MVD.

Brian M
16th February 2012, 04:29 PM
Hi
Back from the Vets and apart from emptying her anal gland they found absolutely nothing wrong ,so I asked the Vet for some calming tablets for me .

Sabby
16th February 2012, 04:35 PM
Hi
Back from the Vets and apart from emptying her anal gland they found absolutely nothing wrong ,so I asked the Vet for some calming tablets for me .

Glad Poppy is in good health. Ebony has a low grade murmer but I take her once a year to the cardio to see how her heart is working.