PDA

View Full Version : Anal gland good news!!

meljoy
20th February 2012, 06:22 PM
We have had major problems in the past with Leo's anal glands. He's had two abcessess and infections. We've tried pro-fibre and all sorts of diet.
Last year Nicki from the forum recomended adding plain old oatbran. Ive been adding 2 teaspoons daily to his food.
Leo had his annual vet check today and for the first time EVER, one anal gland was completly empty and the other only 1/4 full.

So THANK YOU Nicki for the advice, anyone else thats having problems give the oatbran a try it works really well.

:*nana:

Furrfoot
20th February 2012, 06:56 PM
We've been adding it too, after it was suggested, and have gone from taking Rose once a month to get them done, to at the most 3 or 4 times last year. :D

BrooklynMom
20th February 2012, 11:39 PM
Wonderful!!!!
So do you do one teaspoon in the morning and one in the evening?

Just wonderful to hear!!

Furrfoot
21st February 2012, 06:35 AM
Rose gets 2 tsp. twice a day mixed with about a tbsp of wet food :) .

Brian M
21st February 2012, 09:55 AM
Hi Mel

As you may have read all my four have just been to the VETs for a check and while there had their glands done and I have
been giving them two teaspoons of oatbran for the last four years for breakfast ,plus I feen raw and give neem sticks so just keep an
eye on them in the future as they may just need doing again sometime but hopefully not as as often.

meljoy
21st February 2012, 10:46 AM
Wonderful!!!!
So do you do one teaspoon in the morning and one in the evening?

Just wonderful to hear!!

I give 2 teaspoons with his evening meal. I mix it with a little water otherwise it flies everywhere with most of it being deposited in his ears :biggrin:

Nicki
21st February 2012, 08:27 PM
Fantastic news Mel - but I can't take credit for this one, it was actually Tania who came up with it originally :) Think I was using wheatbran and she researched and found the oatbran.

It seems to work really well for some dogs but not all so great to hear that it helping Leo.

meljoy
21st February 2012, 10:24 PM
Fantastic news Mel - but I can't take credit for this one, it was actually Tania who came up with it originally :) Think I was using wheatbran and she researched and found the oatbran.

It seems to work really well for some dogs but not all so great to hear that it helping Leo.
Ooops sorry Tania, Thank you then.

Rubysmum
23rd February 2012, 04:15 PM
hi -where do you buy oatbran ?

Tania
23rd February 2012, 11:45 PM
The link below is the brand we use. I used to have terrible problems with Molly, Dougall and Dotty. Every four weeks or so we had full and sometimes compacted glands.

I now have them checked every 8 weeks (gradually decreased the visits) or so and it is not 100% perfect everytime but I would estimate there is an 80% improvement for all three.

We started with 2 teaspoons twice per day (that is how we feed them) We have now cut that to one teaspoon twice per day..

If it helps, I am more than happy to send a packet to anyone (foc) to try.

http://www.healthysupplies.co.uk/mornflake-oatbran-500g.html?gclid=CN3y-J-Vta4CFQIKfAodGzFCrg (http://www.healthysupplies.co.uk/mornflake-oatbran-500g.html?gclid=CN3y-J-Vta4CFQIKfAodGzFCrg)

Spangly
24th February 2012, 09:39 PM
Brian,
Where do you get your neem sticks from please?

Brian M
24th February 2012, 10:18 PM
Hello Christine

I get them from http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Neem-Triple-Treat-Dog-Chews-/320826979982?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Dogs&hash=item4ab2c7368e if I remeber my last lot I got 5(100) packs for 40.00

Rgds

Brian

Sabby
24th February 2012, 11:39 PM
The link below is the brand we use. I used to have terrible problems with Molly, Dougall and Dotty. Every four weeks or so we had full and sometimes compacted glands.

I now have them checked every 8 weeks (gradually decreased the visits) or so and it is not 100% perfect everytime but I would estimate there is an 80% improvement for all three.

We started with 2 teaspoons twice per day (that is how we feed them) We have now cut that to one teaspoon twice per day..

If it helps, I am more than happy to send a packet to anyone (foc) to try.

http://www.healthysupplies.co.uk/mornflake-oatbran-500g.html?gclid=CN3y-J-Vta4CFQIKfAodGzFCrg (http://www.healthysupplies.co.uk/mornflake-oatbran-500g.html?gclid=CN3y-J-Vta4CFQIKfAodGzFCrg)

" Mornflake " I get it in our local healthfood shop. I use it for my doggy biscuits.

meljoy
25th February 2012, 07:34 PM
hi -where do you buy oatbran ?

I get mine from Tesco. Its in the cereal isle by the porridge. It costs 99p..... abig difference from the 17 the pro-fibre from the vets cost !!

lindylou
25th February 2012, 08:42 PM
hi
today i went to tesco and my oatbran cost me 1.99p and it was next to the porridge in( gilesgate co durham)

Valentina
2nd March 2012, 01:08 PM
Hello, I'm new - having picked up my little girl - Blenheim cav (Maisie) on Sunday :D

She was scooting so went to the vets on Monday & her anal glands full. Yesterday, back at the vet as still scooting & licking & she was an infection.

Now on antibiotics :-(

I've got oat bran & will be adding immediately, as vet suggested just bran, but I felt that was a bit harsh.

Bit of a thread hijack, but I'm looking for some pointers on good food for her ?

Thanks !

meljoy
2nd March 2012, 04:36 PM
Hi,
My Leo has had anal glands probems for long time, he's 5 and ahalf now. The oatbran works well for him. I also give him chopped up veg with his evening meal. Green beans and brocholi are good.
His dry food is called "Healthly Paws". Lots of people recommend Burns food.
Good luck, hope Maisie feels better soon.