• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Bella is getting Spayed tomorrow.

Alana

She is going in for her operation tomorrow. I know it is a routine procedure that the vets have loads of experience in but it is still scary. How long does the pain last? Do they give pain medication? Will she need a head guard?

Hi Alana!
I know that feeling...I was so scared when Brooky went in for hers! But it was all fine.

Usually the dogs bounce back in 24 hours...Brooky took about 3 days because she had some additional issues, but was just fine. The first night might be a bit distressing for you (not her) because it is hard to see them hurting or feeling sorry for themselves. They can also get a little shaky after a surgery, so keep a t-shirt or jacket around if you think she is getting cold (though doubtful with it being summer). They should send you home with pain meds, and at any time if you feel like Bella is not dealing well with the pain, call your vet right away and you can usually go pick up something a little stronger. Just keep Bella quite for a few days, no jumping, and I think after 4-7 days you can do light walking.

Every dog is different as to weather they will leave their stitches alone or not. Brooky had to wear a cone on her head because she would just go for them (even if I had a t-shirt on her to cover them up). Best to have one on hand, the vet will most likely give you one.

Also, just feel her some scrabled eggs, chicken maybe some rice for the first night and day, little bits at a time. Also, lots of water (I had to bring Brooky hers because she never wanted to get up and go to the bowl the first day).

Then....in a blink of an eye...they are back to normal! Literally, it's like you are turning around and they will be acting like nothing is wrong again :) Stoic little creatures. It is usually hard on us (emotionally) than them ;)

Good luck and hugs to Bella!! Once she heals up, let's plan a puppy play date maybe at that dog beach in Mosman I was telling you about?? Or a good dog park :)

Let us know how she's doing! I'll have to go through the same thing with Chloe in a month or two. :-( (Great info, Brooklyn Mom)

Our wee Chloe bounced back right that evening (she had her surgery mid morning), and the next morning she was all her usual self. Good luck, I am sure it will go fine. On rare occasion dogs do lick/scratch the stitches, so said our vet, but just to be on the safe side we bough an Elizabethan collar but we did not end up using it as Chloe did not scratch/lick that part at all. We fed Chloe with boiled minced chicken breast + rice for the first couple of days then back to her normal food. All the best, say hi to Bella.

Good luck, Alana. Everything will be fine, I am sure. I will be thinking of you and Bella :flwr:

Bella's operation went fine, they removed her hernia as well. I feel so bad that she is hurting. She keeps walking around and laying down, then its like "well that didn't help" so she gets up and tries another spot. I feel horrible because I did this to her. Hopefully she will have a good rest tonight and be better tomorrow. They didn't give me any pain medication for her. She isn't licking her stitches.

My two boys got done together a few years back. Pippin had to have a bigger op similar to what a girl would have as his testicle was up in his abdomen and had to be searched for...Both were fine and looked for dinner as soon as they arrived home that evening! Pippin needed to wear a cone type collar, but since then I notice a lot of people on here use a baby's all in one vest and find that a better solution.

I'm sure Bella will be right as rain in a day or two 24hrs can make a huge difference:) Let's know how she is doing.

Glad to hear that the surgery went well! Sending healing thoughts Bella's way

Bella had her hernia removed at the same time. You were right Brooklyn's Mom! This morning she was jumping around and trying to steal cat food as normal. I put the steps in front of the lounge so she could get up easily but tonight she was jumping on and off herself. :p

Ha, yeah...they should teach us a thing or two about being stoic!! I'm glad her surgery went well. She will be back to it in no time now. Really, it is SO heart breaking on us, but I wonder...is it heart breaking on them the same way? Who knows, but they sure deal with it better!

Hugs and kisses to Bella!!

Back