• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

My Cavalier

Jake2011

Hi my name is Caitlin and I have an 8 month old cavalier and he is so awesome except for his random peeing in the house. Ill take him outside and then @ times he'll come in and pee where he wants too. Mostly my moms room and It was just after Christmas he stopped pooping in the house!! Any suggestions on what to do? I dont want to keep screamin @ him? thx

He's just young. Our Bentley was a year old in November and peed on the carpet in Dec for the last time. (I think!) He now will stand at the door looking at me or sometimes scratch the door when he needs to go out. I so appreciate the alert!

Welcome, Caitlin! There are so many great resources available to you on this board to help you with house training. When I got my male cav, Butters, it was a huge help to search through the board for suggestions. I would greatly recommend taking a quick search and looking through recommendations :) One of the best pieces of advice I found on here indicated the best way to stop accidents is preventing them from happening in the first place. Until he is fully housebroken, your cav should not be allowed anywhere in the house unattended (especially your mom's room). If you need to, get some baby gates to keep him in the room with you or someone else. When you go out, make sure he is either in a crate or an enclosed area, and not given free reign of the house. Also, when you take him outside is he actually going pee? With Butters, the accidents he had early on in the house often occurred when he needed to go but refused to pee when I let him out. I would take him outside, he wouldn't go, and then he would pee on the rug not 5 minutes later! I handled this by, not punishing him for going on the rug, but rather rewarding him with a treat and lots of "good boy" praises every time he would go pee outside (also a recommendation I found on the board here). Since making my changes with Butters, he has (knock on wood) not had a single accident in the house since 7 months old.

All that praise & treats did nothing for Bentley. It just seemed to dawn on him at age one that outside was the place to go. He has pooped inside a time or two since Dec but not peed. I think we were just distracted and didn't notice his going to the door.

Back