• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Bentley's coat

3kids1cav

Bentley is 9 months, he was neutered about 5 or 6 weeks ago. But his coat is still very very short. It has thickened up since his neuter but not gotten long, I am curious what is the average age for him to get his long flowing cavalier coat. His parents both had decent coats. So I assume this is not "it" but I am a little worried about it since most cavaliers his age have a lot longer fur. One of my favorite features of a cavalier is their gorgeous long coats.

I love Bentley no matter what, either way, but I am kind of hoping his coat grows longer.:-?
112.jpg

109.jpg

Hi
Don't worry it will grow I assure you ,I keep my four in full coats all year though it took a long time to find a groomer
who could do them all properly ,she is an ex show lady and breeder of spaniels though not Cavaliers .Thanks for the
photo's your little lad looks a little smasher and so does Bentley and I like the harness.

Hi
Don't worry it will grow I assure you ,I keep my four in full coats all year though it took a long time to find a groomer
who could do them all properly ,she is an ex show lady and breeder of spaniels though not Cavaliers .Thanks for the
photo's your little lad looks a little smasher and so does Bentley and I like the harness.

Thanks! I feel better lol, I took Bentley to the groomers today actually after posting this, and I spoke with the groomer about his coat, (they do a lot of cavaliers there and they are excellent, at this place, I am lucky to have found a good groomer first try) He says Bentley's coat will surely grow, he still just has his baby coat for the most part, even though it is thickening up, he said that he is pretty sure his coat will be on the shorter side for a cavalier, but it will be long, he will probably have that courser wavier coat as oppose to that long draping coats, and he also said that in a way that is a good thing cause you would not imagine the things he pulls out of the drappy coat cavaliers coats. lol

At least he will have fur. I was worried this was it. I love him no matter what, he is so handsom and sweet and just the best dog ever, but I can't lie I love that long cavalier coat, that was one of the things I fell in love with about the breed.

Hi

Oh and I really like the puppia harnesses too, I felt so bad with the nylon harness rubbing him on walks, but I find he pulls more on the puppia, I got him a front lead harness for long walks, I use the puppia for outings. though I did give the kennel the step in harness for him because I was worried they would loose our good harnesses when he was there.

My son is a little bull in a china shop, ;)supervised play only! They feed off of each other!

Kokoda is 1 now and is only JUST showing signs of growing a long coat. he is currently going thorugh a bizarre coat change where he has patches of long hair (especially around his neck) and then shorter hair everywhere else.
zI know that Ruby's apparently take slightly longer to grow coat but i have never owned a Ruby before,and it appears to be true.

So just wait. He will get a coat :) Kokoda is currently like that with just a tiny but more feathering.

My George is 18 months and his coat is nowhere near long. His ears on the other hand are near the floor, but his fur on his back is still very fine and only started to grow out a couple of months ago!

I'm sure they're all different but it will happen eventually :)

Kokoda is 1 now and is only JUST showing signs of growing a long coat. he is currently going thorugh a bizarre coat change where he has patches of long hair (especially around his neck) and then shorter hair everywhere else.
zI know that Ruby's apparently take slightly longer to grow coat but i have never owned a Ruby before,and it appears to be true.

So just wait. He will get a coat :) Kokoda is currently like that with just a tiny but more feathering.

Yea this is Bentley, around his neck and back of his neck he has thicker wavier fur, but his back, belly, and bottom are all super short. His ears are longer, always had furry ears lol. his tain feathers are stiff though and do not drape yet. I had the groomer cut nothing off of him, just his sanatary area so we will see. I met a ruby that was 11 months that had a longer coat than Bentley, and I met one that was 18 months that had a better coat, but I assumed it was cause he was older. I met a 1 year old Blehneim though the other day, and that was when I got concerned, This dog had the longest most draping coat, It was amazing, and she was barely 1 year old. So I started to get a bit curious if Bentley was just not going to grow a long coat. He is all fluffed now from the groomers and looks longer though it is so cute.

Like hair colour, texture and thickness in humans, coats in dogs are largely a matter of heredity and genes. Some just take longer than others, but I've never seen a Cavalier with a naturally very short coat (only the unnatural ones who get shaved at the groomers, which I think look awful!). Brushing actually encourages hair to grow, so that will help.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Back