• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Good day today

apeppersmith

Winston had his first puppy class today. As we were walking around petsmart after class, three different people approached to meet and pet him, and told me they were planning on getting Cavaliers as well. None of them knew a thing about the health problems in the breed. I enlightened them, and pointed them all to this forum to help educate themselves and hopefully get some leads on responsible breeders. Since that's not where Winston came from, I could not and did not point them towards his breeder.

I hope they all find their way here, and take what they learn seriously. I may have made the mistake of a BYB, but with what I know now I will do everything possible to point everyone I can in the right direction. It's amazing how little the general public really knows other than how cute and good tempered they are. Of course, it doesn't help that shows like Animal Planet's Dogs101 and Breed all about it mention NOTHING about CM or SM, and only skim over MVD. They talk all about how awesome Cavaliers are and declare them a great choice for anyone, with zero attempt at awareness. Now that I have Winston, I have the opportunity to tell everyone we meet who is considering a Cavalier. In an area where few people have a cavalier, he's a traffic stopper, and starts the conversation every time. This is good news.

Last edited:
I may have made the mistake of a BYB, but with what I know now I will do everything possible to point everyone I can in the right direction

I'm in the same boat. I wish that I could go back in time and speak to myself before we bought Tails. My research consisted of things such as Animal Planet, Dogs 101 and a couple of puppy books which mention MVD but dont say a thing about CM/SM. I spent ages trying to find a breeder that provided heart certificates for both Mom and Dad but somehow the whole CM/SM thing slipped under my research radar :-(

Tails is a healthy and spritely puppy right now but I am worried for his future... and it makes me so cross that I actually supported a breeder who "absolutely refused" to MRI scan her dogs :-(

I'm thinking about actually making a video for YouTube.. all about Cavaliers with an extensive health section and tips for what to look for in a breeder (as well as references to sites like this) so as potential puppy buyers will come across the right info before they make their choice.

Back