• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Shoes

ashleighelizabeth

Ok, so I am getting so frustrated with muddy puppy feet. Sonny comes in multiple times a day after playing in the backyard with VERY muddy feet. I have to wash his feet off in the sink each time he comes in which is fine, but then his feet are all wet and I am getting so tired of washing and then blowdrying his feet multiple times a day. I have tried using wet wipes, but his feet get too muddy for them to work. We also have tried laying down wood chips in some of the areas that are always muddy, but we can't do that in all of the areas, so Sonny still manages to get muddy. Sooooooo I was thinking about getting him some shoes to wear when he plays out back. Has anyone ever tried them with their dog? Did your dog hate them???

No experience with shoes but just to say be careful with wood chip depending where you bought it from some of them contain something that can be poison to dogs. I think it got something to do with coco shell? Maybe someone has some more info on this.

When we used to live in grimy downtown, we thought getting Skippy shoes would solve the problem of him coming home with dirty/black/brown/gross feet. We got a set of RuffWears (http://www.ruffwear.com/dog_boots).

Problem #1 is (and this is speaking from experience of only trying 1 set of shoes of course, other shoes might be easier) it is a gargantuan effort and then some to get the shoes on his paws. This experience might vary depending on paw size and shoe size. Apparently using 'socks' or 'liners' helps some.

Problem #2 was that the shoes wouldn't stay on for long. All the kicking and running that he does, at least one shoe invariably comes loose or comes off completely. So when we're walking him we have to constantly check to see that he still has all his shoes and if one is coming off or came off we have to stop to readjust it. Definitely a pain.

Again, experiences probably vary but just wanted to share ours. We don't use the boots anymore, they just sit inside his doggy box...

My Butters HATES the shoes. He can't feel the ground with them. When wearing them, he would constantly pick up his feet like the ground was hot. Instead of playing, he just tried to bite the darn things off! If you search "dog shoes" on youtube, you can see videos of dogs with similar experiences. I am not sure if dogs eventually get used to them, but I took them back to the store. I wish I had gotten some pictures of him in them, though, as he was pretty funny to watch. He does like the socks, though. I am adding a socks post to the general photos gallery.

Thanks guys for sharing. I think after hearing the feedback, I will refrain from purchasing the 50 dollar shoes that I found. It sounds like people have not had good experiences with them and your stories were exactly what I was fearing. So thanks for saving me the money. :D I guess back to the drawing board on muddy puppy paws. We are renting the house we live in, so we can't do anything permanent to the backyard, but I am DEFINITELY going to consider the backyard set up when we move into another place!

Sabby- :thnku:Thank you for the warning on wood chips! I believe you are right that some mulch has an additive, used to mask the odor, that is derived from cocoa and that is why it can be toxic. We definitely stayed away from those mulches!!! (y)

Cocoa shells contain theobromine which is toxic to dogs so definitely something to avoid.

I think the above comments are very helpful with regards to shoes - it's not something I would try for mine, I know people living in extreme climates do have to resort to shoes for those conditions but they are not easy to keep on. I'm sure a dog could be trained with positive rewards to hold still to have them put on.

Muddy paws - Keep the hair on the paw very short - I use electric clippers to clip underneath [carefullly!] and thinning scissors on the top to reduce the thickness whilst still keeping the slippers effect. Then I trim around the edge to tidy. Groomers often scissors the paws so that there is no hair on them at all.

You can also obtain the cotton mats which absorb some of the dirt and water such as these http://www.dirttrappermats.co.uk/dt_specialoffers.html

make sure you get the right backing for your floor surface - they go through the washing machine and actually work better when they are wet!

I've just seen these in the new orvis catalogue, they look even better but I haven't tried them yet http://www.orvis.com/store/product_...34&group_id=1855&cat_id=15472&subcat_id=15473

they have very good reviews

for UK people http://www.orvis.co.uk/store/produc...24&group_id=8939&cat_id=11376&subcat_id=11377

I have a Turtle Mat by the back door that works very well - goes into the washing machine and is dry enough to put back immediately. Not cheap, but very good value - and you can take it with you if you move!

Kate, Oliver and Aled

I agree with the investment in a good doormat and keeping the hair short. Also, keeping a doggie foot towel by the door can be helpful. I use an old bath towel to really clean the feet, getting the majority of mud and water off right at the door.

We put an old beach towel town in the back hall when its wet out, to dry her feet off. And if she gets really mucky we just wash her paws in a basin and towel dry them, they dry naturally pretty quick. Just one of those things I guess.. We tried shoes but she despised them, dont blame her really!

Back