PDA

View Full Version : Do Cavies need sunscreen?

BeBe
3rd April 2012, 01:04 AM
BB and I are heading to the North Carolina coast for 4 days at the beach - wondering if she needs sunscreen or not? If so what kind? It is still early in the season so the weather should not be too hot and I am not a sun all day kind of gal, we are likely to be walking a lot on the beach and watching some sunsets from the deck.

JessieAndMe
3rd April 2012, 03:55 AM
Not sure how warm it gets in the U.S, but in Australia we tend to have very hot summers down south and especially with puppy hair being finer,
I use children's sunscreen on Jessie's nose, and use a pure shea butter to moisturise his nose and pads at the end of a hot day.

Hopefully someone with more expertise can offer better advice.
But most importantly, enjoy your time away.

anniemac
3rd April 2012, 12:33 PM
Wow, we are on South Carolina coast and have not put sunscreen on but he's been in shade a lot. I never did that to Ella in hot summer. I didn't think of it. Interested to find out what others say.

BeBe
3rd April 2012, 02:18 PM
Just checked the weather in Emerald Isle and looks like rain - so sad! I would be interested for future but agree with not going out in the heat of summer!

Kate H
3rd April 2012, 04:28 PM
Aled's fur gets very thin just above his nose and I put sunscreen on that if it's the sort of weather that I'm wearing sunscreen myself. Otherwise it can get a bit sore.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

BeBe
3rd April 2012, 05:58 PM
Thanks Kate!