• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Cavaliers and the Titanic

Sydney

Ruby Here,

With the upcoming 100th anniversary of the Titanic disaster, I found an intersting article on an ongoing exhibit in Philadelphia with a special twist. It includes a discussion on the dogs aboard the Titanic. The article, "Dogs of the Titanic - A Dozen Aboard and Three Survived":

http://news.yahoo.com/dogs-titanic-untold-story-163100569.html

Did you know that a Cavalier was onboard Titanic and bound for Philadelphia. Unfortunately, the poor dear did not survive. But unheard of was the fact the Cavalier was actually insured and the insurance paid off. Read the article above and if you are in Philadelphia stop by the exhibit and read more about this great tragedy. Here is an excerpt from the article:

It seems only prominent families had dogs aboard the Titanic. Is that true?
Dr. Edgette: Yes. Only first class passengers had dogs on the voyage. One family even received an insurance settlement for their two dogs that didn't survive.

I'm surprised that family pets were insured back then. Do you have more background on that?
Dr. Edgette: Another wealthy passenger, William Carter of Philadelphia, was traveling with his wife Lucille and their two children. Carter insured his wife's jewelry and other items of value, including the 1912 Renault automobile purchased in Paris. A replica of that vehicle is what appears in Jack and Rose's steamy love scene in the 1997 movie. The vehicle was insured for the full purchase price of $5,000; their daughter Lucy's King Charles Spaniel was insured for $100, young Billy's Airedale for $200. The children begged to take the dogs when evacuating, but Carter insisted that they were too big and that they'd be fine in the ship's kennel. Both dogs perished and the insurance company paid the settlement.

I've heard no one wanted to get into the lifeboats because they all felt safer on the ship than they would bobbin around in the dark ocean in a small lifeboat. Sad to think what little Lucy felt when she knew her little Cavalier wasn't going to be safe like her Dad promised. Sad, sad story.

Ruby, Sydney and Duncan in Virginia :paw: :paw: :paw:

The Cavalier King Charles Spaniel breed did not exist in 1912 (not "re-established" until 1926 by Roswell Eldridge and not recognized by the Kennel Club until 1945) - I presume that the reference is to a "Charlie" - English Toy Spaniel (U.S. name of breed). The surviving dogs are described in the article - Poms and Peke - were in the cabins rather than in the hold in kennels and smuggled on lifeboats wrapped in blankets.

http://www.cavaliers.co.uk/articles/difference kcs v ckcs.htm

Pat

Back