View Full Version : Isabelle

Pamela Warrington
10th April 2012, 04:18 AM
Hi Friends,

I have been a through a great deal of hurt and frustration, just seeking some light. Isabelle is going on 8 years old in June. 3 weeks ago starting April 2ND we went for a routine check up with her vet. But during the visit for the first time my vet heard a murmur, he said it sounded like a 3 or 4 grade, and wanted to do an Xray and Ultrasound. So with sad news she did have an enlarged heart and MVD with some regurgitation. But rather than that she had no other symptoms. My Dr wanted to start her on a very low dose of therapy meds which was 1/2 Enalapril 5mg once a day, and 1 tablet of Vetmedin 1.25mg twice a day. And sent us over to a Cardio specialist. We went to the Cardio Dr on April 9TH had an ultrasound she confirmed what my vet said. Isabelle was not in any heart failure and no signs of fluid on her lungs, but she moved her up to a stage 4 murmur with MVD with regurgitation. She then took her off the Vetmedin, and upped the Enalapril to 2.5 mg 1 1/2 tablets twice a day, along with Lasix 20 mg was half tablet twice a day. After that apt Tuesday came around and Isabelle started to breath a little harder and it seemed her heart beat faster. Then Wed was the same I started to get worried, made phone calls. And by Thursday we were up at the Specialty Hospital where the Cardio Dr worked, but she was off that night. They decided to keep her, because her breathing rate was 60, should be between 1-30 no more than 40 when sleeping or relaxing. So they kept her overnight. I picked her up the next afternoon, but really had no answeres to why she was laboring so hard, but said she had slight fluid from the X-rays they did, and decided to put her back on Vetmedin 2.5 mg 1/2 tablet twice a day, along with 1 tablet of Lasix, and continue with Enalapril 2.5 mg 1 1/2 tablets twice a day. We went home that night, and again her breathing was the same, so by morning, I decided to call my vet, he suggested I go back to the dose we thought she was doing best on. Now today I went back down to the Cardio for a recheck, and was surprised at the way I was treated, no compassion, no sympathy, just if you're not going to follow my rules, then maybe you need to find another Dr, she said I was frustrating her, with tears streaming from my eyes, not understanding why I was treated so horrible, I was confused, this is my baby and I only want what is best for her, She also has SM and is on Gabapentin twice a day and omperzole 0.6 cc once a day. She is the sweetest dog, but I feel bad because she still has not felt better like she first did, when my vet treated her with the lower doses. Tonight I gave her the Vetmedin at 5pm and all the other pills at 6pm and around 7 or so she started with the fast breathing and I just do not know what is going on. I will be getting a second opinion from another referral that my vet is sending me to. He is also a Board Certified Specialist in Murrieta so I am praying God will intervene and Isabelle will get the right meds and start feeling better. Her eyes look like she is loaded on drugs, It just breaks my heart. Any words of wisdom or encouragement would help.:confused:


10th April 2012, 06:09 AM
Certainly wishing Isabelle and you a return to medical stability. Getting a second opinion sounds like the best option. Make sure your cardiologist explains what each med is for, possible side effects, what behaviour (like rapid breathing) to expect, and which is cause for concern, steps for how to address problems if they occur during the (whether it's getting to an emergency practice, or adding/skipping a dose), etc.

Write up a list of questions, and then write the answers down while you're with the vet. Be thorough, you are paying for the cardiologist's time and expertise, make sure you are getting what you pay for. Having a written document means you can refer back to it, or use it to explain to anyone else who might be caring for Isabelle.

Pamela Warrington
10th April 2012, 02:33 PM
Thank you I will be going to another Cardio Doctor who is said to be one of the best, I pray that this will be the answer to getting Isabelle on the journey to helping her feel better and living a good life being managed by the proper medicine. Your suggestions are wonderful>


10th April 2012, 04:14 PM
I'm sorry that Isabelle is worrying you so and the way you were treated was horrible. You are right to get a second opinion and hopefully this will get her problems sorted out. For what it's worth, one of my dogs is on heart medication too, and his breathing always seems to be a bit faster in the evenings.

Pamela Warrington
10th April 2012, 04:42 PM

Thank you, it has been a roller coaster ride and I am ready to get off. Yes, the evenings seem to be where I noticed it the most. I will have to ask the New Cardio Dr why that is. What Meds do you have your baby on and what is her dosage and how often do you give the meds? Do you know the weight of your dog?


Brian M
10th April 2012, 04:56 PM
Hello Pamela

I am sure this new Cardiologist will be the answer to your prayers and Isabelle will again be the beautiful little
girl that you know .

11th April 2012, 02:09 AM
No real advice as I dont know much about either MVD or SM... just massive cuddles for you and miss isabelle. xx

14th April 2012, 03:27 AM
Aw Pamela, I'm so sorry to hear about all you and Isabelle have been going through recently. Must be so hard to see your baby suffering, and it sounds like the cardiologist was not very empathetic towards you. I hate to hear that - I definitely agree that you need to get a second opinion. You should be seeing a dr who is not only good with the medicine, but who you + Isabelle are comfortable with.

That said, Isabelle is in good, loving hands with you. Let us know what the other dr says! You're both in my thoughts.

Pamela Warrington
14th April 2012, 07:37 PM
Thank you, we go see her new Cardio Dr. this Monday. His name is Dr. Herndon and I have heard several people comment, that I was in good hands and Isabelle will be in good care with this Doctor. That is my prayer and hope. Isabelle is doing much better, ever since we stopped going to that other Cardio Dr. She has been put back on the smaller dose by my vet and has responded much better. Her heart rate and breathing has been 100 percent better. Gives me the peace I need, so I believe we are on our way to a better start. Again thanks for all the love and support, it really helps me!


Pamela Warrington
14th April 2012, 07:40 PM
Its all new to me also, the SM I have had two in half years to become familar with, but the MVD is all new to me. We go to her New Cardio DR. This Monday so I believe I will be in good hands, since several people have responded saying he was one of the best! Thanks for the support means everything.


Brian M
14th April 2012, 07:58 PM
Hi Pamela

So good to read that both of you are better now you are back on the original medication and the other Cardio is behind you .We will all be
there with you on Monday your faith and belief is strong and you will be in good kind caring hands and we all will be there in mind supporting
you both .

Best Wishes