PDA

View Full Version : Pet Insurance in Australia

sparkles
12th April 2012, 10:29 AM
Hello All,
I have been going over this issue for a year now and i just cant make a decision about pet insurance.
I am so confused with it all. I really need to get it sorted.

Does anyone in Australia have any advice on what pet insurance has been working well for them?

I'd love an insurer that covers 100% of vet bills. Covers future conditions for life of the dog eg: heart condition etc.

Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Alana
12th April 2012, 01:04 PM
I am with PIA, haven't claimed anything yet...need to claim for desexing. I got the full cover it is about $40 per month I think.

BrooklynMom
13th April 2012, 01:19 AM
I am with Bow Wow Meow and love them. Quick, great customer service and fulfill the claims easily. I was with Pet Plan for a while and they would never pay out a claim, always tried to make it "preexisting" to something silly and unrelated. Bow Wow Meow always pays out my claim straightforward unless there is a real preexisting condition :) So I would just not recommend Pet Plan here (they are great over in the UK from what I hear, but it's just different here.

JessieAndMe
13th April 2012, 02:09 AM
We decided just to start a Jessie fund instead. I found that most of the insurers, apart from Medibank Private, all stem from the same provider which have the basic umbrella terms. None I found covered dental or as brooky's mum said, try to withhold claims on the basis that it's pre - existing. The few I contacted, won't cover hips or knees either. We thought it was better to just pop a lump sum into an account, and just add $100 per month to it, as a just in case fund, should we ever need to draw on it. If you read the disclosure statements, I think the fair majority only cover dogs up to 8 years of age, after that your not covered.

sparkles
15th April 2012, 12:55 PM
Thanks guys....its sooo hard to make a decision..cant believe how hard it is.....ill look into your ideas......i know with me i need insurance, then i know i have to pay it.
Just dont want to pick the wrong one.

Ladybug
18th April 2012, 11:49 AM
I did a LOT of research into this (oh the amount of product disclosure statements I read!). What I found was that the majority of insurers cover the same things for accident and illness. Unfortunately I don't think there are any that cover 100% anymore, most do 75-80%. Having filled in a lot of online quotes, a cheap price for accident and illness cover for a Cav is $30-35, a reasonable price is $35-$45 and anything beyond $45 per month is too expensive. Getting the "full" cover in most cases is pointless because it tends to only cover $50-$100 of general care per year (vaccinations, checkups etc) on top of accident and illness cover. This, in most cases, is less than the difference per year between accident/illness and full cover.

I'm with Prosure (http://www.prosure.com.au) because that had a very good discount for multiple pets. I also found reading all the reviews of the different providers very useful (certainly helped me remove certain providers from my list when making a choice) http://www.productreview.com.au/c/pet-insurance.html.

sparkles
19th April 2012, 01:23 PM
hey all. Thank you for all your help. I ended up going with the guide dogs pet insurance. Covers 100% minus excess. Covers fairly well. Plus money gos towards training the dogs. See how it goes. Thanx again...what a hard decision......