• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Pet Insurance in the U.S.

ashleighelizabeth

I know that there are specific threads on here that talk about insurance to specific areas, but I haven't been able to find the ones that talk about U.S. I was wondering what everyone's recommendation for insurance in the U.S. is? I am most concerned about getting something that will cover for hereditary diseases. Any advice is much appreciated. Thank you.

PetPlan is what I have (www.gopetplan.com).

I like them a lot.

Trupanion also gets good reviews from their members .

A place for you to check is petinsuranceuniversity.com.

Also ... VPI is really not great. My sister had them and they hardly reimbursed anything.

Thank you Lani! I actually just found another thread with your recommendation and went to the petinsuranceuniversity and looked up pet plan. Sonny's siblings (who have different owners) are with VPI and I had initially talked to them when he was a baby, but I just didn't like their coverage or think it made sense, so I ended up putting off getting him covered. However I just spoke with someone from Pet Plan and it sounds exactly like what I am looking for! Thank you again for your help. :)

Yep based on my research PetPlan and Trupanion were my choices in the US. I eventually went with PetPlan -- we had to submit a claim recently and it was for the most part pretty hassle-free (the 'hassle' part was actually getting my vet to fill out the claims form and send it to me, it got lost in the mail the first time, she's only in 2-3 days of the week, etc.).

I have PetPlan too. My vet submitted a claim for Chloe's spaying, but I haven't gotten anything yet. If I do, then I'll know I have a winner, I guess. :)

I have PetPlan too. My vet submitted a claim for Chloe's spaying, but I haven't gotten anything yet. If I do, then I'll know I have a winner, I guess. :)

Read your policy. Spaying is not included. This is copied from the exclusion page:

Elective or specialty procedures which are not deemed
medically necessary, including but not limited to, docking
of tails, removal of dewclaws, removal of eyelashes,
cropping of ears, spaying or neutering or cosmetic
dentistry.

I think they would cover spay surgery if it were a result of pyometra, but they won't cover an elective routine spay.

Pat

do either of these cover SM or mitral valve? We have VPI I have yet to get a refund but I will from his neuter soon

VPI may cover neutering, but you will get a small amount. VPI probably does not cover SM or MVD. I have yet to hear anything good about VPI. My sister had it and spent $500 on gastro issues with her dog and got almost nothing back.

PetPlan and Trupanion get good reviews from Cavalier owners, because they do cover hereditary issues, like eyes, luxating patellas, and yes, MVD and SM. These can be a lot pricier than a neuter.

do either of these cover SM or mitral valve? We have VPI I have yet to get a refund but I will from his neuter soon

I initially looked at VPI too. However from what I have read it seems that VPI might cover routine care expenses, but PetPlan covers accident , illness and hereditary diseases like SM and MVD. I was most concerned about getting coverage for the bigger things and that is why I went with Pet Plan, but they were very honest and told me that they don't cover routine care, like neuter, vaccines... But I really liked that they were upfront about their coverage! Sonny is in the waiting period for his Pet Plan coverage.

VPI does NOT cover SM. I had the rudest experience ever when I called about Ella's MRI. They told me if she got hit by a car and had to have her leg amputated then I would be "golden" and they would cover more than any other insurance. I will say when she got bit by a dog and the end of her life (accidental death a string wrapped around her intestine) they did reimburse me a lot but will NEVER recommend to anyone with a cavalier. It was too late to switch after she was diagnosed but with Elton I ended up getting PetPlan.

Back